Cheap Fuzz Face options?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    d8m said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    I think I'm going to try the Mooer Blue Faze.
    Mine was very noisy with the fuzz control turned up. Mine's the only one I've tried, dunno if I got a duff one or if they're all like that.

Had a grey faze exactly like this.
    Interesting. We could both have duff ones (on cheaper pedals QC is normally one of the things which suffers), but yeah. Nice to know it's not just me. :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Been listening to demos today. Now I want a Zvex Fuzz Factory instead!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited April 2014
    fretmeister said:

That Zvex sounds awesome though! Just not quite convinced about not having a Fuzz control.
    You don't need one - the only useful setting on a Fuzz Face is full up. There's so much drop in gain if you back off even slightly that it's much better to leave it wide open and control it from the guitar.

The Fuzz Factory is much much betterer though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    You don't need controls on a Fuzz Face. They only sound good with both controls on nearly full whack.
    You have to be prepared to use the volume control on your guitar. 
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited April 2014

+1 for Fuzz at 100% but there are ways to correct this flaw and have a usable Fuzz control.

On a standard FF your tone will be mud if you turn it down significantly below that point. The Fuzz Factory is a fun pedal for those wicked gated or oscillating sounds! Have a look at the RedWitch Fuzzgod 2, the Death by Audio Fuzz Gun and the Rainger stuff. All brilliant units if you like your Fuzz with added wackiness! But like the zvex they are not cheap.