Buying glasses to fit and suit... Kill me now (2021 Redux!)

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited May 2021 in Off Topic
So I've just made my 28th visit to a glasses shop (33rd if you include online retailers) and all I have to show for it is a cut in my right ear, a migraine that has lasted over a month and a receipt for some £25 NHS style specs that will likely disintegrate within minutes of leaving the shop when they are ready.

I'm ready to jump of a cliff. The problem is that I seemingly have a very wide head so hardly any of the glasses fit, and if they do they are a shape that does not suit me at all, seem to only be rectangular ones and they look terrible on me and age me a lot. I'm not fat just wide in the head at the wrong section seemingly.

The problem seems to be that I care what I look like and I want to look nice and a little bit hip. I am not very happy to give up on life and become somebody that just doesn't care what they look like, but apparently I have no choice.

I bought some at a whopping £280 from Vision Express which looked adequate and seemed to fit. However once I wore them for 14 hours a day for a couple of days they rubbed my right ear so much that it cut it. They were some kind of sporty skull grabbing things that I thought may have helped the fat head situation by circumventing a bit which they did, but for the ear problem they would have been adequate.

I've now had migraines for a month and a half because my existing two pairs don't fit - one are too small and have therefore stretched so slip down my nose all the time so the constant shifting focus gives me the frontal headaches, the other pair are just too narrow so squash my temples giving me the side headache in addition to the remnant of frontal headache.

They've tried to suggest those that bend outwards but they look awful and a bit like when a six year old does a 2d drawing of somebody in glasses, just emphasising the massive head further.

I've just had to buy the cheapest pair that fit inn order to try to stop the migraines, but even they take a bit of lead in time because the lenses have to be ordered in because they are wide (further fat head problems).

Can't get contacts as two separate opticians have said I'd get eye infections and would only have 80% vision anyway, which is basically the same as what I have if I take the glasses off.

Not sure what the point of me sharing this is but I just want to vent and scream and smash my headache causing existing goggles into the wall

Over and out
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    I've been putting off the trip to the opticians for around 3 months now.................. I really need new glasses as these are scratched to hell. Hate the process though.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Why not get two monocles.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Ultimate hipster
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Thanks but I did read that already, it's finding them wide enough that's the problem more than finding how wide they need to be if that makes sense. Finding that the measurements given don't always tie up either. The ear cutting glasses were 70mm (one eye plus nose measurement) but I tried some that were 77 today which were too tight
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Lose some weight off your head. Or get two pairs of glasses, beak one arm off each pair and glue them together, you will end up with one pair of really wide specs with four lenses.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lose some weight off your head. Or get two pairs of glasses, beak one arm off each pair and glue them together, you will end up with one pair of really wide specs with four lenses.
    Thanks. I'll get the cranial saw out then
  • munckee said:
    Ultimate hipster
    Pah! Monocles are sooooooooooooooooooo last year! What you want is a Lorgnette :)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • munckee said:
    Ultimate hipster
    Pah! Monocles are sooooooooooooooooooo last year! What you want is a Lorgnette :)

I used to have some opera glasses like that when I lived in Vienna
  • My optician used to do Tom Davies bespoke glasses.
    He had some frames made for some of the bigger blokes on the Ulster rugby team

https://www.tdtomdavies.com/bespoke.aspx

There are other bespoke makers like Opera Opera in London 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited October 2018
    My optician used to do Tom Davies bespoke glasses.
    He had some frames made for some of the bigger blokes on the Ulster rugby team

https://www.tdtomdavies.com/bespoke.aspx

There are other bespoke makers like Opera Opera in London 
    I think his website is down by the looks of it but will save it and have a look. The B word does fill me with a bit of fear though I must admit...

Edit: £575 from Opera Opera!! I wish, sadly
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Get some frames you like, chop them down the centre and repair to the right size with a sticky plaster and voila! Comfortable glasses with a classic 60s NHS super mojo vibe.  ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsql said:
    Get some frames you like, chop them down the centre and repair to the right size with a sticky plaster and voila! Comfortable glasses with a classic 60s NHS super mojo vibe.  ;)
    Where will I find Vera Duckworth?
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    I too have a big old face (and a squashed boxer's nose)*. May I recommend glasses with transparent frames? Something like this? Very forgiving of the big old face.

* ladies love my big old face, mind.
  • benecol said:
    I too have a big old face (and a squashed boxer's nose)*. May I recommend glasses with transparent frames? Something like this? Very forgiving of the big old face.

* ladies love my big old face, mind.
    Ive tried a few, only one that suited from Ace & Tate but was too narrow and they didn't do a larger version sadly. Mostly though I just looked like Jurgen Klopp which was less than ideal.

Might get my hair cut short tomorrow though to see if that makes any difference, as it will also remove the blond top of hair I seemed to acquire all of a sudden this summer
  • These were the ear cutters

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I really hate choosing specs... 

For the wider-faced gentleman my favourite forum-for-obscure-information recommends Police frames, or CAT (the digger/boot brand).

• Thanks I'll have a look, Police ones are acceptable enough but not sure they were that big when I tried them, will look out though. I'm not quite in the stage of life where the Caterpillar ones would work though I'm afraid :) plus according to measurements they aren't really any bigger (according to Framesdirect.com) than any others I've tried
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited October 2018
    In the olden days there were people called Dispensing Opticians and they were trained to take a variety of head measurements to ensure they recommended appropriately-sized frames and adjusted them properly.

Now you're likely to get a 16-year-old with an iPad which tells them what to do.

I'd recommend seeking out a practice that actually has a properly accredited DO.  There's nothing immediately wrong with the specs in the picture -  as in, they suit you cosmetically and aren't laughably mis-sized - but it sounds like the drop part of the side has been incorrectly adjusted - either too short or with too steep an angle - and really needs to be adjusted by someone who knows what they're doing.

For the money you've paid you deserve a pair of specs that work properly - don't hesitate to go back and complain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    You have a bit of the Johnny Depp about you !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom