Glasgow boys

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• "I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon"

^^why is that?
    I took my SG to him for a setup. The first thing he did was pick it up and look it over, and promptly bashed the headstock off the shop counter. When I went back to collect it, they had overtightened the screws on the truss rod cover and cracked both of the mounting holes. When I pointed that out to them, they tried to insist I take a generic flat black plastic replacement, even though they had genuine Gibson ones for sale hanging behind the counter. I had to be fairly robust to persuade them to replace with like for like at their cost. In general there was an air of contempt for the customer that made me very uncomfortable.

After all of that, the setup wasn't really particularly special (the only proof they'd done anything was the cracked truss rod cover ) and overall I wasn't impressed. To be fair though, this was quite a while ago and it was Jimmy himself who I was dealing with. Still, they had their chance with me and as far as i'm concerned they were terrible

ICBM has done much better work for me.

I've heard this sort of thing from several friends. 
    I'm in Edinburgh & used GuitarGuitar for my last setup. They did a nice job, but it took AGES (at least a month). 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon.
    Are his charges astronomical?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon.
    Are his charges astronomical?
    There is a degree of lunacy in their cost structure, yes. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4071
    "I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon"

^^why is that?
    I took my SG to him for a setup. The first thing he did was pick it up and look it over, and promptly bashed the headstock off the shop counter. 
    This reminds me of when I was a young trainee chef, I'd just got a shiny new knife of my very own and asked an experienced chef to give it a run over with the steel because I didn't trust myself to do it properly and he immediately whacked the point straight into the steel.

Five years later after getting married I bought a fresh new set of knives for the flat, pulled out the main knife and said "and maybe this time I won't have some dickhead blunting the point". I immediately accidentally whacked it on a tile and took the point off.

Story has no moral.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16284
    No love for the GG dude in Glasgow?
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom