So I finally saw that Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy film

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
So I finally saw that Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy film, I didn't bother at the time as it had poor reviews. Saturday nights me plus teenage daughters usually have takeaway and watch a family movie. We stuck HHGttG on, and I decided to go with the flow and just see it for what it was - a bit of family entertainment. They liked it.

However, it really was an utter crock of sh*te as a film. How can you take such incredible material and turf out such a total turkey. The director even had the gall to put 'For Douglas' at the end, however I'm sure that DA would have turned in his grave upon release of that stinker. 

In the 70s my whole family would gather around the radio for the BBC broadcast, it was unbelievably funny. Later the TV show, despite it's flaws, captured something of the character of the material. I was amused to see the back of the head of Marvin (TV show version) at one point in the film - I thought it a subtle thing for fans to pick up on, but no, they had to stick two more blatant shots of his face in - presumably in case of the the unlikely circumstance that a fan would have missed their 'ho ho' link. Shamefully unsubtle and ignorant if you ask me, but I'm just nitpicking here.

A major problem - the 'Book' in the TV series was superb for it's time - fascinating animation. The film book was pathetic, really low quality ill conceived and terminally naff. 

So in conclusion, I think this film deserves an award, for the worst ever adaptation of a book to film. The marvellous dead-pan humour was clearly way over the heads of the director/producer.

OK, I'll shut up now.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's my favourite ...err...trilogy (!) of all time. 

After watching that car crash of a film I needed several years of very expensive therapy. 

Now I'm having flashbacks again. 

Thanks to you. 

Twat! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5109
    Did you spot the cameo by Marvin?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Martin Freeman must be one of the most overrated actors around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4328
    edited November 2018
    Peter Jones is long dead. I'll pass on the film thanks.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    But wasn't Trillian gorgeous in the film!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    fftc said:
    But wasn't Trillian gorgeous in the film!
    Ahh yes, Zooey Descha .... Er, I forget her sure name but she is lovely
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8476
    edited November 2018
    I do like Sam Rockwell. He polished that turd as best he could.  

I agree, I don’t get how Martin Freeman is famous. I do not care for his acting. He works well in Sherlock, but Cumberbatch does all the heavy lifting there. 

THGTTG film did suck quite terribly. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    Zooey!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    I remember seeing the film years ago.. was so disappointed.. it's also probably by favourite 5 part trilogy.. 
    Cast was good but the film.. so bad.. 

I quite like Martin Freeman.. he doesn't do all the over-dramatic whatever.. he just does normal.. that's why he's good.. he's everyday boring which for actors seems an incredibly hard thing to do convincingly..
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I actually like Martin Freeman in most stuff, he was good in Sherlock and he was the perfect choice for the Hobbit. He isn't Arthur Dent though, Simon Jones from radio and TV versions was perfect in that role
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Martin Freeman is capable of absolute brilliance. Fantastic in the first series of Fargo. Knocked spots off everyone in the Hobbit

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited November 2018
    The only way H2G2 should ever appear on the big screen is by the BBC giving all their original audio recordings of the first two series (including all recorded rehearsals, discarded edits and the stuff they did for the albums in the 1980's, which differed slightly - literally everything Douglas was directly involved with) to Pixar and have them cull a trilogy of movies from it all.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    It was never going to be the TV series or radio play that is so etched on us, it was fun, funny and you're all Curmudgeonly :-) 
    Red ones are better.