Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The forum, its present and its future

What's Hot

Comments

• It's OK, guys. I think we all understand where we're all coming from.

Peace and harmony, remember? :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Digitalscreams to do list for 2019:

1. Program "told you so" button.
    2. Wait to see who gets to press it.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Sounds a huge project to me but if DS is confident then all credit to him.

My one piece of advice on this would be - expect the unexpected.

In other words when that situation inevitably occurs don't let it knock your confidence or motivation, just see it as something that was always going to happen, bite the bullet, replan, do the necessaries and dust yourself down to go again.

Sometimes having the reason why you're doing it written down somewhere visible can help i'e 'Because I fcking want to', stickied to your computer screen can help you push through the difficult times.

Good luck and best wishes for the challenge!
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Well 8 pages and I've decided to stick my oar in.  I've been in IT for 30 years and totally get what  @digitalscream is saying. When you fly solo with a vision you can develop a lot of stuff that becomes easy to maintain because you know it all and everything does just what you designed it to do. No second guessing another designer or coder.

If the man says he can do it I'll back him to get it done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've no idea how to run a forum but you've done a great job so far so good on you. Thanks to all who've been involved in fact, something that is not said as much as it could be.

I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My guess is if @digitalscream reckons he can do this, he probably can. Not really sure why it merits any debate.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • My guess is if @digitalscream reckons he can do this, he probably can. Not really sure why it merits any debate.... 
    Well can we at least debate your guesswork then ?  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    As person most likely to need to step in if anything happens to lee I'd be happier with a RoR app he wrote than the pile of junk that is vanilla.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25495
    fandango said:
    fandango said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I don’t get all this cross-examining of DS. He is confident he can write much better forum software, is prepared to give a lot of his own time to do it and it is for the benefit of us all. What’s not to like? Why all the negativity?
    Because we are all so used to getting something for nothing on the internet these days that when we do get something genuinely for nothing (because people give their time freely to enable it) we actually seem to think it’s acceptable to criticise those freely giving.
    No, it is in fact literally exactly the opposite. 

I questioned Lee's decision to do do it because in my own (somewhat expert) opinion he's taking on an absolutely mammoth, endless, (and thankless) task and that, again, in my own personal opinion, it will end up being a humongous millstone around the neck of someone who already gives far too much time for free to this place. 

It is entirely possible to question the decisions that your friends make without it being a cross-examination or criticism. Most people tend to call that "advice"... 
    Why don't you just let Lee get on with what he's good at, and then bask in the better site that results from his efforts?
    What a strange post. 

No. No. And no again.

@UnclePsychosis - you (and one or two others) may well know what you're talking about, but from what I've read, so does Lee. And he's given it some serious thought.

If Lee says he can do it and is prepared to, who are you to say otherwise?
    Jesus wept.  
    I thought I was quite clear with my explanation.  Maybe English isn’t his first language or something ?  Benefit of the doubt and all that.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • @digitalscream I'd love to throw my hat in to the ring to maybe lend a help in hand on the software side of things. I design stuff for a living and would love to help in whatever way I can, no matter how big or small.

Also, welcome back Drew, @WiresDreamDisasters! I was super gutted when you went!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • As this is abotu second chances now, when do we get facepalms back? 

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Should we go with the flow and have a woman in charge ... I mean it's good enough for Doctor Who ... it would keep all the middle-aged , pale, male and stale types in line .... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    brief word (not having read the thread) - tFB has been a big positive to my guitar journey - I met friends and bandmates (sometimes even both!), attended jams, traded great instruments, received (and ignored) valued advice and talked some BS too.

thank you to everyone who started and runs it, I appreciate it and will pay the benefits forwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    What a character the Legendary Drew appears to be. Dying to read some of his missives. 

I feel I may need to up my game. Is the username @tkmaxxdrew taken?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    What a character the Legendary Drew appears to be. Dying to read some of his missives. 

There's a lot of hype around my conduct - some people love it, some people hate it. I'm basically just a British Billy Corgan. Bald too.

Bye!

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    A British Billy Corgan? What's your band called - Smashing Turnips?

Not being aware of the specifics of any previous transgressions makes it easy for me to say.........welcome back. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652
    Hattigol said:

There's a lot of hype around my conduct - some people love it, some people hate it. I'm basically just a British Billy Corgan. Bald too.
    You were before my time. It's nice to know you're real. I was starting to wonder if you were some kind of mythical boogie man used to scare little children.

Welcome back fella.  :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12857
    Kilgore said:
    Hattigol said:

You were before my time. It's nice to know you're real. I was starting to wonder if you were some kind of mythical boogie man used to scare little children.

Welcome back fella.  :)
    Its said he's 9 feet high and eats the headstocks of R8's...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    A British Billy Corgan? What's your band called - Smashing Turnips?

No its its called the Telford Iron Bridge inconvenience....or something to that effect :) 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25495
    Some say....
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom