Bristol Jam - will you volunteer?

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
edited January 2019 in Events
Well, it's been five months since we announced a tFB jam for early summer 2019, and both @Brocco ;;;;; and I have been musing on how to take this forward now that we’re now just over five months away from the date of the Bristol Jam on 8th June 2019. See main thread: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138167/the-official-fb-jam-factory-studios-bristol-western-jam-edition-8th-june-2019#latest

However, we would appreciate (and need) your assistance to help organise it and make it a genuine success. It’s looking to be a great venue, with plenty of space, and because of the location, we’re hoping to attract those who haven’t played in a band setting, or even played in front of others. There are a fair number on tFB who testify that attending a tFB jam is one of the best things they've done to improve their skills, approach and musical awareness. I too have benefitted, and thoroughly recommend getting involved to make that happen for the next batch of superstars - no pressure, then .

In no particular order, the following roles are available and need your commitment to see things through to ensure we have the resources, personnel, and song choices that you’ll be biting your nails off to play:
  • Director of equipment
  • On-the-day musical director (master of ceremonies)
  • Venue liaison (ideally someone local to Bristol)
  • Recruit a drummer/drummers
  • Recruit bass players
  • Recruit keyboard player
If any of the above appeal, but you're not sure of what's involved, please PM me or @Brocco ;;;;

The following roles are now filled:
  • Musical playlist director (pre-event) - overseeing song selection - Funkfingers
  • Attendees organiser - dazzajl

27-1-2019 Edited/updated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5734
     Very happy to help out wherever I can.

I’m not connected enough sadly to procure any musicians but any kind of collating or organising of folks attending and/or a being pair of hands on the day, sign me up. :)
  • I am local to Bristol but the bassists and drummers I know are all pros. I assume there's no budget for paying the rhythm section?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    * cough * .... just in case some of you didn't hear me last weekend ....

Another call to help us host the Bristol Jam.
    edited January 2019
    @Vibetronic @Funkfingers ;has volunteered to take up the role of musical playlist director.
    @dazzajl - I'll put you down for attendees organiser.

27/1/2019 Edited/corrected
    edited January 2019
    Will do @fandango, off to dig out my cat herding outfit
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    fandango said:
    @Vibetronic has volunteered to take up the role of musical playlist director.
    @dazzajl - I'll put you down for attendees organiser.
    That’s me off the hook, then. FFFT.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    haha, this must be a new meaning for 'volunteer'  ;) Hope a whole day of playing metal is ok with everyone then!  =)

I'm sure I can cobble something together....
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @jonnyscaramanga - if there is enough in the pot we can consider paying a drummer, but have tended to have plenty of cover for bass at the other jam events.

haha, this must be a new meaning for 'volunteer'  ;) Hope a whole day of playing metal is ok with everyone then!  =)

I'm sure I can cobble something together....

Oh dear, my bad. I should have gone to ....

Now corrected above.

Apologies to both @Funkfingers who must have thought I'd lost my marbles, and to @Vibetronic who thought I was taking the mick.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
     =) it’s fine mate, I was only jesting  =) When this was first suggested I’d sounded out a drummer mate who said he’d do it, so that should still be fine. He’s easily pro level and should be able to cover anything. I don’t mind playing some bass, I play guitar every day for a living so don’t mind a change for a while! Just had a busy few weeks since new year so haven’t had time to comment properly yet! 
    fandango said:
    Musical playlist director (pre-event) - overseeing song selection - Funkfingers
    My Inbox is cleared in readiness. :)  

CUE: Bridgehouse comment about being inundated by a PM from a Mrs. Trellis of North Wales.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    fandango said:
    Musical playlist director (pre-event) - overseeing song selection - Funkfingers
    My Inbox is cleared in readiness. :)  

CUE: Bridgehouse comment about being inundated by a PM from a Mrs. Trellis of North Wales.
    Mornington Crescent
    So now I have this wonderful job of attendees organiser, what exactly should I be doing?  :3
    dazzajl said:
    So now I have this wonderful job of attendees organiser, what exactly should I be doing?  :3
    It’s a bit like being a whipper in and a sheepdog in one. But with a clipboard. Metaphorically speaking.

Still looking for others to step into the breach.

fandango said:
    dazzajl said:
    It’s a bit like being a whipper in and a sheepdog in one. But with a clipboard. Metaphorically speaking.

I have four year old twins, so my cat herding game is up to scratch. 

I’m more than happy to add to my portfolio here, as long as I’m not expected to learn and remember any songs. 
    I am taking this opportunity in encouraging those who haven’t yet stepped up to the plate to take on board some of the organising. Thanks in advance.
    I’m starting to worry I’m putting people off  ;)  :3
    edited March 2019
    dazzajl said:
    … not expected to learn and remember any songs. 
    Free Jazz, eh? Nice! ;)

On the subject of learning and remembering stuff, the session song list Discussion will be appearing soon.

dazzajl said:
    fandango said:
    dazzajl said:

I have four year old twins, so my cat herding game is up to scratch. 

I’m more than happy to add to my portfolio here, as long as I’m not expected to learn and remember any songs. 
    Okay @dazzajl, can you do some whipping-in, please.

Could you ransack your way through the threads and sort the wheat from the chaff, and send out some reminders to those who haven't yet ruled themselves out. It's not like folk had 10 months notice to avoid booking holidays, tell the missus, postpone operations, etc. Well actually folk did, because I told you all the date way back in August last year and to all those who forgot, well, this is for you:  :s

Calling those in Bristol, Swindon, Bath, Cardif, Newport, Gloucester, Taunton, along the M5 motorway! You owe it to yourselves if you've never pitched up at one of these wonderful jams to come along. It's a really great way to improve, and stretch your abilities.