Zilla order - It's here now.

What's Hot
LewLew Frets: 1657
edited May 2014 in Amps
Eya, I've put down a deposit on a Zilla cab and I'm playing with options before I put the order through. Just looking for a bit of feedback, really.

I'm pretty set on the idea of a vertical 2x12. Bass isn't a problem with my rig and I prefer getting hit in the chest over the crotch ;) plus they look cool haha, kinda like the old 60s PA columns.

I'm also pretty set on getting Creambacks at the minute after chatting with Paul Mr Zilla man and I'm leaning toward the 75W H model rather than the 65W M model. They seem to be more efficient and fatter Greenbacks from what I can gather? Which sound perfect - greenbacks that can handle volume and lower fuzzed out tunings? Sounds good to me.

I'm also toying with the idea of a stereo input so I can run two amps through it which means I can have a Plexi side and a fuzz side. I'm not sure how messy this would be in real life, though - not having the physical separation that a proper two cab stereo set up would have. I know a 4x12 would probably be better for the job but I really can't be bothered lugging a 4x12 around.

Green tolex with gold hardware will look great, right? haha not decided on the looks, either.

Anyone have any thoughts? Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Already answered this on BKP but I might as well write it here too since I check in here more often :))

Far as I'm aware the 75W H creamback is a higher wattage G12H30, whereas the 65W M creamback is a higher wattage greenback/G12M. I haven't tried them, but that's what Celestion says, anyway. A mix might be nice, I like that combo with the lower wattage/more classic versions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited April 2014
    Thanks, Dave. Seems I was getting confused. Zilla suggested the H, that much I remember!

edit - this is useful 

No worries :)

I don't hear too much different in that clip but that's just probably my laptop speakers (plus there's no guarantee the creamback versions are as different as the lower wattage versions). :)) I can hear the H is a little louder. I know with the g12h30 versus the greenback the g12h30 is louder, not as middy and has a tighter bass (not modern-tight like a vintage 30 or similar, but tighter than a greenback). To my ears the g12h30 has a kind of harder edge to the tone and is a bit more modern-sounding (but as with the tightness, not really modern compared to actually-modern-sounding speakers, just more modern than the greenback) whereas the greenback is a lot middier with a looser bass and a more "woody", warmer type of sound.

How they compare to the creambacks, though, I dunno :))
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    Lew said:
    Thanks, Dave. Seems I was getting confused. Zilla suggested the H, that much I remember!

edit - this is useful 

[Demo]
    That's an excellent demo.

I hear them as being quite different, but the cleaner the sound, the less obvious it is - on the very clean sounds there's barely any difference, but on the highest-gain ones, big difference.

The H75 is much deeper, brighter and more open, the M65 is middier, tighter and more focused. They do sound like slightly 'stiffer' versions of the H30 and M25, although it's hard to be sure without a similar direct comparison. (And they may be ones which need a lot of breaking in too, I don't know.) To me there's slightly less difference between them than there is between the H30 and M25 as well, but again hard to be sure without doing the same demo with those.

I would definitely go for one of each though - it's a shame the demo doesn't include a mix, but I bet it will sound great in the same way as the H30/M25 mix does. In a vertical cab you probably want the M at the top so the extra treble of the H doesn't get too shrill if you're right in front of it.

If it matters, there is a small amount of historical confusion with the name 'Greenback', which is why I try not to use it! It has become used to only mean a G12M-25, but originally Celestion fitted green magnet covers on many models, including the G12H-30 - so some people might call a G12H-30 a 'Greenback' as well. They're likely to cause similar confusion with these new models by calling them both 'Creambacks'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    ICBM said:
     - it's a shame the demo doesn't include a mix,
    I listened all the way through hoping for that.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    If you have a vertical 2x12, then drive the 2 drivers with separate sounds, you could get unwanted dominance of one or the other at specific distances from the amp
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I think based on our brief chat on Friday the -75s would suit you and your amps more - if they're based on the H30 rather than the m25 you'll get more clarity and punch which I think will be a good thing for fuzzy sounds and tunings below standard. Paul's a great guy to work with, I like that he doesn't shy away from giving his own opinions.
    ICBM said:
    Lew said:

edit - this is useful 

[Demo]
    That's an excellent demo.

I hear them as being quite different, but the cleaner the sound, the less obvious it is - on the very clean sounds there's barely any difference, but on the highest-gain ones, big difference.

The H75 is much deeper, brighter and more open, the M65 is middier, tighter and more focused. They do sound like slightly 'stiffer' versions of the H30 and M25, although it's hard to be sure without a similar direct comparison. (And they may be ones which need a lot of breaking in too, I don't know.) To me there's slightly less difference between them than there is between the H30 and M25 as well, but again hard to be sure without doing the same demo with those.

I would definitely go for one of each though - it's a shame the demo doesn't include a mix, but I bet it will sound great in the same way as the H30/M25 mix does. In a vertical cab you probably want the M at the top so the extra treble of the H doesn't get too shrill if you're right in front of it.

If it matters, there is a small amount of historical confusion with the name 'Greenback', which is why I try not to use it! It has become used to only mean a G12M-25, but originally Celestion fitted green magnet covers on many models, including the G12H-30 - so some people might call a G12H-30 a 'Greenback' as well. They're likely to cause similar confusion with these new models by calling them both 'Creambacks'.
    Yeah there was a difference but I suspect my (stock) laptop speakers aren't helping there :))
    Thanks, appreciate the comments. 

I'll ask Paul about mixing the H and M but after doing some reading this weekend I'm leaning towards two H's and definitely vertical. 

I think I'll keep it simple and not go for a stereo input. I like the idea but I'm sure it's just more effective to consider a second cab with some distance between them sometime in the future. 

My heads measure 25" long and I'd like a tight fit but if I get a bigger head at some point that could be a problem.

edited April 2014
    Gave Zilla the info. Fatboy vertical but it'll be a bit bigger than an upturned Fatboy as it'll be wider on top to take the head obviously. I measured my Morgan so it'll be a nice clean fit. 2xCreamback H75. Black Tolex.Basket weave grill,white piping. Three piece back so I can run it closed or open. Should be a couple of weeks. Exciting!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256

I went for basketweave, white piping with western black tolex & removable back

Ask Paul for a photo - I think the western tolex is a nice touch

edited April 2014
    I sent him a pic of my Morgans tolex to match as best as possible :-)
    edited May 2014
    Picked it up earlier today. Paul was great to deal with and has the cutest dog ever.

Vertical Fatboy (29"h 24"w).
    3 piece back
    2 X Celestion Creamback G12H-75

It's really well made and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweet :D
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Great looking cab. Enjoy!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    Nice! If the guitar wasn't in the pics to give scale, it would look like a full-size 70s head - like a Hiwatt 200 or something - on a tall 4x12". I bet it sounds big, too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Very nice looking rig, black theme right through to the guitar.  I love the first shot where you have a reflection casting a guitar shaped highlight onto the grill cloth, very creative.   :)

edited May 2014
    Yea, it looks a like an old 6x12. It's only 5" less wide than a Marshall 4x12 (same height). It sounds massive. I'm pretty staggered by the tone change.

With my reference point being the V30, the speakers are very even with alot of high end detail and there's alot less percieved gain/saturation and alot more volume which I guess is due to how well the cab throws the sound around as much as the speakers. And the Orange I was using had two strips of wood running the length of the cab coupling it to the floor where as this is on rubber feet. The input jack is in the top left corner from the back of the cab rather than being in the center which is useful.

I think this is what I'll go for next

Or maybe this.

@ChrisMusic not so much creative as lucky I think! :)
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    I take it that 24x12 is still in that room as there's no way it's coming out! Maybe they had to plasterboard round it and it's still there hidden behind a wall :D

It comes with a drop down step ladder built into the side so you can change the EQ on the head.