Easy set list suggestions ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25594
For various (boring) reasons, I have a need to assemble a giggable rock / pop covers setlist as fast as possible, that requires the minimum number of practice sessions to get right.  There are a couple of minor caveats in that none of the songs can be Status Quo (the bassist hates Quo and won't play them), or sung by singers whose sexuality is remotely suspect (the singer is homophobic).

The object of the game is to nail them as fast as possible, so the simpler the better, no weird stops (that nobody will remember consistently) or difficult solos that would take time to perfect etc.

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks !

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Bohemian Rhapsody - I think that ticks all the boxes :p

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    How about a medley of "In the army now" and "In the navy"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    Get a different singer

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited April 2014
    thumpingrug said:
    Get a different singer
    Heh.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Emp_Fab said:
    the singer is homophobic.

I'm hoping you doggedly challenge his fucked up views in the same way you would here.  I'd suggest playing instrumentals only and sending him to the local bath house to get set straight (so to speak).
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Here's a few that should take a quick run through to check the key and usually go down well at gigs..
    (I'm picking songs with minimal lead parts)

20th Century Boy
    Summer of 69
    Mustang Sally
    Black moon rising
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Get your rocks off
    Jumping Jack Flash
    You really got me
    500 Miles
    What's up
    Valerie
    Everybody (needs somebody)
    Gimme some loving
    Rocking in the free world
    Stuck in the middle

If you want to really throw it together fast then I'd get the lead guitar and lead vocals to compare notes on what songs they already both know, check they are in the same key and then send that list to everyone else to learn at home...  twiddly bits and words (and agreeing the key) tend to be things that take a bit of effort to get right...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Emp_Fab;15060" said:
    There are a couple of minor caveats in that none of the songs can be Status Quo or sung by singers whose sexuality is remotely suspect
    So Roll Over Lay Down's presumably a none-starter then?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    @John_P has pretty much listed our set list. Add "Teenage Kicks" and "Sit Down" plus round here drunk guys in pubs still go crazy for Oasis so bung in "Cigarettes and Alcohol" or "Don't Look Back in Anger" if you want a drunk singalong in the set.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Some easy oldies: Louie Louie, Hang on Sloopy, Gloria, Mony Mony, 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25594
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm hoping you doggedly challenge his fucked up views in the same way you would here.  I'd suggest playing instrumentals only and sending him to the local bath house to get set straight (so to speak).
    Absolutely - but - I can't afford to piss him off to the point that he quits.  I already got him close to that point at our first practice by laying into him because he was resisting singing a number because the singer was wearing eyeliner in the video !  He flatly denies being homophobic and maintains his use of the word 'Gay' to describe a song means that it's shit, rather than homosexual.  I resisted pointing out that using the word Gay as a synonym for shit undermined his argument somewhat.  Either way, he's a good singer and a good laugh and getting the band giggable asap is the only concern at this point.  Right now, I'd be happy with Adolf Hitler singing if had a decent set of pipes.  I don't have the luxury (or patience) to try to form a band of people who are a) competent musicians b) get on socially c) have similar tastes in music, d) committed, e) available for practices and gigs, without having to worry about how politically correct they are too.  Fuck, some of them are struggling to meet the basic five requirements - and that includes me !

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    edited April 2014
    Emp_Fab;15060" said:
    There are a couple of minor caveats in that none of the songs can be Status Quo or sung by singers whose sexuality is remotely suspect
    So Roll Over Lay Down's presumably a none-starter then?
    I  watched some rockumentary about the Quo reunion - wow, Alan Lancaster could hardly open his gob without saying an offensively homophobic remark. He ought to form a band with Emp's singer.

Err, songs - we used to be able to make 54-46 by Toots and the Maytalls last about half an hour. Mostly two chords. The garage rock stuff is usually straight forward - Surfin Bird,Woolly Bully, Louie Louie, Got Love if you Want it,etc.There are stops but they are in obvious places and these songs usually benefit from under rehearsal and can be extended via the use of fuzz freak outs. Probably some early ACDC stuff like Its A Long Way to the Top or whatever its called.And Fist F*****rs Associated by The Leather Nun, obviously.

EDIT: rude word!
    :-\"
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Lindisfarne
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Bryan Adams
    Bruce Springsteen
    Rock'n'Roll "standards"
    Eric Clapton

... all good places to look. @John_P's set ticks a lot of the boxes.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Absolutely - but - I can't afford to piss him off to the point that he quits.  I already got him close to that point at our first practice by laying into him because he was resisting singing a number because the singer was wearing eyeliner in the video !  He flatly denies being homophobic and maintains his use of the word 'Gay' to describe a song means that it's shit, rather than homosexual.  I resisted pointing out that using the word Gay as a synonym for shit undermined his argument somewhat.  Either way, he's a good singer and a good laugh and getting the band giggable asap is the only concern at this point.  Right now, I'd be happy with Adolf Hitler singing if had a decent set of pipes.  I don't have the luxury (or patience) to try to form a band of people who are a) competent musicians b) get on socially c) have similar tastes in music, d) committed, e) available for practices and gigs, without having to worry about how politically correct they are too.  Fuck, some of them are struggling to meet the basic five requirements - and that includes me !

Sounds so much fun. I can see that you really want to be there.

Your singer seems to be showing classic denial symptoms.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Fair point I 'spose. 

This c#nt's songs are simple to play, may suggest one and certainly couldn't be interpreted as gay in any way -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMM6TzmEOA

It usually annoys me when people just write abuse in YouTube comments but I make a worthy exception with this dunce.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 941
    Why not force the issue and give him a little fondle...y'know, see what happens? Half way through 'Mustang Sally' should do it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why not force the issue and give him a little fondle...y'know, see what happens? Half way through 'Mustang Sally' should do it.

ha ha ha!!!!

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25594
    I believe the problem is really that he comes from very macho town and is quite concerned about how he is viewed by his friends and family (he's only young).  I'm not sure he actually is that homophobic in the classical sense, but he doesn't want to undermine his 'very heterosexual' image with his mates.  I don't know....  I don't really care to be honest, as long as he sings the fucking songs well.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Brilliant !
    Why not replace the mic on the stand with a dildo while he's not looking and wait for him to grab it up to his mouth, all rock star-like.............

If it helps you out, i've always got on well at jam nights with
    Rockin in the free world
    Roadhouse Blues
    Roadrunner
    Sweet Child o Mine
    Comfortably Numb

Good luck
    Emp. the more you talk about him, the more of a bell end he seems.

Can't you sing them?