Anyone Owned a modern Supro?

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
I love the designs, but I'm not into flubby amps. Would most likely use it for edge of breakup if it breaks up somewhat early and then pedals.

I'm kinda torn between a Big Star and a Royal Reverb but have heard they can be a bit loose in the low end, but if you can keep it somewhat clean and then use pedals you might be able to avoid this?

Any love for these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    The Saturn Reverb interests me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    I’m sure I read £750 off Supro amps at GuitarGuitar at the minute.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    BGG said:
    I’m sure I read £750 off Supro amps at GuitarGuitar at the minute.
    That’s why I’m asking. ;)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited February 2019
    I think the general consensus is the reduced prices are much nearer a reasonable price for them considering their build and reliability qualities.

I had a 1605r, the little 5 watt one, which was the best featured amp I've ever had (not seen any other small amp with individual dry as reverb outputs, and a quasi FX loop with the line out and line in) but was ridiculously expensive and I couldn't justify keeping that high a value amp in my spare room so I flogged it.

I don't think any of the full sized amps have the same feature set though, nor do they have a master volume or reverb most of the time
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I think the general consensus is the reduced prices are much nearer a reasonable price for them considering their build and reliability qualities.
    If they’re down to about two thirds of the original prices - which they mostly seem to be - then they’re only slightly overpriced now... half would be better.

They look great and sound good - not like the originals, they’re much tighter - but were ridiculously priced for something built the way they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I had a 1605r, the little 5 watt one, which was the best featured amp I've ever had (not seen any other small amp with individual dry as reverb outputs, and a quasi FX loop with the line out and line in) but was ridiculously expensive and I couldn't justify keeping that high a value amp in my spare room so I flogged it.

I don't think any of the full sized amps have the same feature set though, nor do they have a master volume or reverb most of the time
    I don’t need a master, but the ones they have on offer do have reverb, and some tremolo. 

ICBM said:
    If they’re down to about two thirds of the original prices - which they mostly seem to be - then they’re only slightly overpriced now... half would be better.

They look great and sound good - not like the originals, they’re much tighter - but were ridiculously priced for something built the way they are.
    Can you recommend one based on my requirements? Although I’m wondering now if they’re not worth my time! 
    TeleMaster said:

Can you recommend one based on my requirements? Although I’m wondering now if they’re not worth my time! 
    The only one I’ve actually played is the Thunderbird+, and that doesn’t really break up early - the three power settings are all loud, it mostly controls the tightness of the breakup rather than lowering when it occurs much in volume terms.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited February 2019
    Hmm. I’m not sure really. I’m wondering if I should stick with my trusty DRRI65. There’s always something shiny and new about, some I end up buying. But I always end up going back to it!
    edited February 2019
    Hmm. I’m not sure really. I’m wondering if I should stick with my trusty DRRI65. There’s always something shiny and new about, some I end up buying. But I always end up going back to it!
    Apart from the Supros looking beautiful, I'd stick with a DRRI every day of the week personally
  • Hmm. I’m not sure really. I’m wondering if I should stick with my trusty DRRI65. There’s always something shiny and new about, some I end up buying. But I always end up going back to it!
    Apart from the Supros looking beautiful, I'd stick with a DRRI every day of the week personally
    ^^^^ This
    GAS over. I bought a few pedals instead :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I seem to remember that some of them used valves that could be problematic in replacing. They're no longer made or something.
    Don't know how true this is or if I've mis-remembered.
    Sassafras said:
    I seem to remember that some of them used valves that could be problematic in replacing. They're no longer made or something.
    Don't know how true this is or if I've mis-remembered.
    No, you didn't - 6973 power valves. Roughly similar to EL84s but not pin-compatible. Not a sensible choice really... although I think there are socket adaptors available.

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 600
    edited March 2019
    I own a newer Supro Tremoverb 1622RT. I certainly didn't pay list price for it (not sure who would given how frequently they discount them). I've had it for a few months now and my impressions are as follows.

- A beautiful looking amp. The blue tolex is unique and classic at the same time and really gives off the 'small vintage combo' vibe. I can't speak to the internal construction as well as others on here but it feels very solidly built with excellent fit and finish.

- Tremolo and reverb are lovely sounding, and are nothing like a Fender trem/verb to my ear. The reverb seems less connected to the note than say a Princeton Reverb, if that make sense. It provides a more general wash than pristinely clinging to the note. The tremolo and reverb become very noisy with the footswitch engaged (I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experienced this, or explain why this may be) so I never use the footswitch.

- It's a fairly loud amp, and without a master volume I can't see myself ever having opportunity to crank it. However it takes pedals very well indeed (particularly fuzz I find). Something about fuzz going into a 10 inch speaker really appeals to me.

- It's also quite dark sounding. I tend to run the treble on full, and if I could change anything about the tone it would be to have a bit more high end available. I never run my amps totally clean, so tend to compensate with the treble control on my Prince of Tone.

In general I like the amp, though I'm not sure I'll keep it forever. It's one of those amps that is sufficiently simple that you can just add in a touch of verb and trem and lose yourself in playing. That said, I'd be much happier if I could sort the noisy footswitch issue, as having to have trem/verb either off or on all the time can be quite annoying.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    edited March 2019
    I've got a Thunderbolt plus (the one @ICBM has played). The speaker has been swapped to a Celestion Fullback so it stays clean.   I got to use it live recently and it sounded great.  I was running it in 60 watt mode.  It's a loud amp!

I would say with the original speaker you'd get edge of breakup. But with the Fullback it stays clean loud.
    Thanks guys. I decided to keep my DRRI. I don’t like the loose low end on amps that break up quite a lot generally so I think I’ll stick with this. :)
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    edited May 2021
    Reviving this as currently considering the new 64 reverb. It’s basically the 1605r with a c8r fitted which sounds like an improvement to the vintage spec jobby in the last one.

I have an 81 vibro champ at home that I love the clean tone of but would enjoy something that is willing to give up the goods at lower vols, in a small format that’s easy to chuck in the car. I like that the supro has a MV, tube verb and high gain preamp - means I can basically ditch my pedalboard. I also love that you can use the tank as an insert as I was considering a Grampian 636 clone for the studio anyway, maybe this would get in the ballpark.

but £900? Many many great amps to be had for that money. Unfortunately I don’t think these have sold very many so won’t come up used. Shame as it ticks all the boxes for a home amp for me.

has anyone played one?
    I had the 1605R - my comments above in this thread still stand really. The feature set is brilliant and I'd like to have that same set again but the price was ridiculous for what you get. The Bigger Supros go for less money often but then they are usually non master volume and are huge. I basically used it as a preamp for recording - dry and reverb separately, into various IR settings on the laptop, very flexible amp.

But when they do come up second hand they are usually £600+ which is still a lot
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    Yeah I may just wait to find one used, £600 is a price I can stomach given it has the exact spec I’d like. Same with the comet.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Owned a reissue Coronado 1690t for a while thinking it'd become my main gigging amp. For the second hand price these go for they provide a quality of tone way above their price point, it delivered a lovely, full vintagey tone with a nice tremolo. I have amps that sound slightly better, but you'd be paying many multiples more to buy those. The Coronado is quite a compact amp for a 2x10, but my goodness it was heavy for it's size and the lack of onboard reverb meant I sold it on. Definitely worth checking out though.