New Music Day

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
edited April 2014 in Music

You know what it's like.......You get to the Record Shop (I will forever call it that) and as you scan the shelves, your mind goes blank.

Well this discussion is for you to post what new music you've bought (New releases or old ones) so as to jog memories and maybe also give opinions on what the albums are like which might help those who havn't bought it yet.

Last Saturday I bought

Blackberry Smoke - The Whippoorwill - (Southern American Rock - VERY Black Crowes-y and VERY tight, well played songs inc. 2 live tracks which are just stunning)

DIO - This is your life (Tribute album by a massive list of great artists who pay proper tribute to Ronnie and cover his songs excellently. Tenacious D, Doug Aldrich, Biff Byford with Motorhead, Halestorm............. A great pleasure to listen to)

Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes (You can tell he's working with Tom Morello - it's Classic Bruce but Darker. Good album but it's one that grows on you and it's not really background music - takes a bit of listening to)

Dave Lee Roth - Eat 'em and Smile (1986 all over again. Steve Vai in full on 80's mode and Diamond Dave being the classic frontman)

Europe - Bag of Bones (REALLY Surprising, so far from 'The Final Countdown' its ridiculous. They have matured into a brilliant band and almost all the songs on this album are really 100 times better than I first expected them to be. Proper pleasant surprise and well worth buying

Gary Moore - Blues for Jimi (This is the live recording of a special gig Gary did with guest stars Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell and he absolutely nails every single note of every song, even as a massive fan of Hendrix I can say hand on heart he plays Jimi's songs far more accurately than Jimi did but with all the soul and feeling of any Gary Moore Performance. This is just pure gold and a real lesson in how to play live from one of the original masters. Gary uses 2 Marshall Vintage Modern amps (Uses KT66 Valves like Jimi's original amp did) , a small selection of the same effects that Jimi used and some beautiful original Fender and Gibson guitars for this gig and he also completely nails the original tone that the music had, but you can tell its Gary and not Jimi playing it)

I would have bought more but it was also New Pedal Day (TC Electronic Mojo Mojo) and that's all I could afford.

What has everyone else bought recently and what's it like to listen to?

(Maybe if we keep this discussion going it can become sticky and evolve into a "What shall I buy from the record shop today" resource).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Hey, @Alnico have you checked out the other recent Europe albums since their reformation? There's a few. "Start From the Dark" is really good. "Secret Society" is alright. "Last Look at Eden" I wasn't overly impressed with but "Bag of Bones" is pretty sweet. 

So many bands from that period kinda re-surfaced and brought out records that sound nothing like you'd expect them to. For example, listen to an old RATT album and then go look for their album "Infestation" that was the most recent thing they did. Huge change in the sound! And even FM. And I really think Deep Purple changed a lot over time. I really like the "Now What?!" album as well as the old Blackmore classics like Machine Head etc.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Hey, @Alnico have you checked out the other recent Europe albums since their reformation? There's a few. "Start From the Dark" is really good. "Secret Society" is alright. "Last Look at Eden" I wasn't overly impressed with but "Bag of Bones" is pretty sweet. 

So many bands from that period kinda re-surfaced and brought out records that sound nothing like you'd expect them to. For example, listen to an old RATT album and then go look for their album "Infestation" that was the most recent thing they did. Huge change in the sound! And even FM. And I really think Deep Purple changed a lot over time. I really like the "Now What?!" album as well as the old Blackmore classics like Machine Head etc.

Hey Thanks, I actually didn't realise that Europe had other 'New' albums so I will check them out.

I really know what you mean about FM - Man they are good these days. Cheers ! Got another new idea for my next Record Shop Visit.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I love that Gary Moore Blues for Jimi set. I recenlty got the DVD in a bargain triple pack along with the Montreux performance from the "Still Got the Blues" era, and one from his last Montreux performance the year he died.

The best piece of advice I ever heard from a guitarist came from Gary.......

"Stop worrying. If you don't play for 10 seconds, no one is going to shoot you !"

Still such a tragic loss of a great man and great player.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    My main purchases have been cd's as presents for other people bought via amazon so I get the auto rip: Wilko Johnson, Deep Purple ( Copenhagen 1972), Seth Lakeman, Steel Panther and Paulo Nutini ( is that how you spell that?) all added to my iPod.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Alnico said:

"Stop worrying. If you don't play for 10 seconds, no one is going to shoot you !"

Well, I hope no one is going for a Dimebag joke there, terrible taste to bring that up..
    :-h
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:

Well, I hope no one is going for a Dimebag joke there, terrible taste to bring that up..
    :-h
    Holy God I hadn't thought of that. No, making any reference to that was not my intention. As far as I remember, that was Gary's exact quote but yes I agree, it would be in very bad taste to reflect on Darrel's tragic death in such a way.

Totally forgot to post this last weekend.............

Bought the Wilko Johnson / Roger Daltrey Album on Saturday - bloody brilliant. NO other word for it. Ther eis maybe one of the slower songs I can take or leave but then for the first few years when I was young, I ignored 'Old Red Wine' by The Who only to take the time to listen a few years later and kick myself for what i'd been missing so it may well grow on me. Considering it's only £7.99 and profits go to the 'Teenage Cancer Trust' it's a damn good buy and well worth listening to two old rockers who couldn't give a fuck how loose they sound, they're just p[laying great music with a massive smile on their faces. Wilko's guitar playing is just amazing, especially when you consider that when it was recorded he thought he would die and was carrying a football sized tumour in his stomach !

Also bought a Box Set of the Doors - 'A Collection'.

It's the first 6 albums in miniature vinyl replica sleeves / replica vinyl centre print on the cd :

'The Doors', 'Strange Days', 'Waiting for the Sun', 'The Soft Parade', 'Morrison Hotel' and 'L.A.Woman'

For £19.99 I reckon it was a really good buy and it's presented in a really nice 'Small Box'

Off on a tangent I've got a few of these 'Small Box' sets recently and they are really good value

Neil Young Official Release Series Discs 1 - 4 : £12.99 - 'Neil young', 'Everybody knows this is Nowhere', 'After the Goldrush' and 'Harvest'

Bruce Springsteen 'Born to Run 30th Anniversary Edition -£29.99 - 'Deluxe edition containing 'Concert DVD live at Hammersmith Odeon London 1975', Documentary DVD 'Wings for Wheels'; The making of 'Born to Run', Digitally Remastered CD 'Born to Run'

Bruce Springsteen 'The Collection 1973 - 84' - £19.99 - 'Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J', 'The Wild, The Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle', 'Born to Run', 'Darkness on The Edge of Town', 'The River', 'Nebraska', 'Born in the USA'.

Roger Waters 'In The Flesh' - 2 Cd's of live material from the recent American tour. Purposely leaving out the bulk of 'Dark side of the Moon and The Wall', concentrating on more underplayed material including tracks from 'Amused to Death' PLUS a DVD of the Live Concert, 30 minute behind the scenes documentary, Band Biographies, Lyrics and all in 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound.

I also have the 'Immersion Series' edition of Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' which was my birthday present last year and although that cost £85 it is simply stunning (Plays like Butter / Haunting Mids etc. LOL).

I LOVE Box sets but they don't always have to be really expensive ones - I think HMV have done really well recently to introduce these 'Small Box Sets' which to me represent huge value for money.

Now if I can just get over seeing the Big Vinyl Box Set of 'The Who - Tommy' which cost £99, I will be ok !!!

I did a thread on those "classic album boxsets" a while back. I got ZZ Top, Van Halen, Gary Moore and Dream Theatre....a bargain way of getting a lot of music.
    I did a thread on those "classic album boxsets" a while back. I got ZZ Top, Van Halen, Gary Moore and Dream Theatre....a bargain way of getting a lot of music.
    I wanted that Van Halen one - the first 6 albums IIRC ?..........Saw it in classic Rock Magazine and then when I had some money, HMV had sold out. Never saw it again.
    edited May 2014

On it Boss.

Thanks man.