Takeuchi floyd rose arm?

What's Hot
I know this is a very specific request, but I have a 90's Jackson with a Takeuchi TRS-101 Floyd Rose bridge, that came with a replacement arm which is quite ill-fitting.

I'd like to find a better replacement that fits properly... it appears to be a 6mm screw-in type arm, but the screw-in part that inserts into the bridge is unusually long, which means the standard replacements with shorter inserts will keep screwing in until the arms starts to bang into the fine tuners at the back. If I stop early then it's a very loose fit, which is terrible for subtle warbles etc.

I've searched online extensively and the only replacements I can find are originals, which cost stupid money for what it is. Does anyone happen to know where I can source a replacement that doesn't cost the earth?

Here's a diagram of the whole system:

https://www.axebition.com/sites/default/files/documents/trs-101-diagram.png

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd be surprised if he can't make what you want...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

I'd be surprised if he can't make what you want...

Thanks. I got excited until I saw the $28 price tag plus whatever international shipping is...

It's not an expensive guitar so if it comes down to it I can just wrap some tape around the insert and risk gunking up the threads, but just wondered if there was a better solution.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have an old Washburn trem which is the same model just stamped Washburn, it’s exactly the same.  I’d just use some ptfe plumbers tape if I were you, a replacement would more than likely be the same
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I'd be surprised if he can't make what you want...

Dave made my truss rod cover for my LTD.
    His lead time is a few weeks and shipping from the States took a week but he's brilliant to deal with.

I'd be surprised if he can't make it too.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Could you not shorten the threaded portion by obtaining a M6 nut, screw onto the arm to the desired length, junior hacksaw it off, file taper, remove nut = correct threaded portion/arm. job done. :)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Doug said:
    Could you not shorten the threaded portion by obtaining a M6 nut, screw onto the arm to the desired length, junior hacksaw it off, file taper, remove nut = correct threaded portion/arm. job done.
    It’s the opposite that needs to happen... I need to extend the threaded portion of the replacement arm.

Anyway, I’ve found a temporary solution. I cut a small section off the end of a thick bamboo skewer I had lying around (I knew it would come in useful one day ;) ) and dropped it into the arm socket. It seems to raise the height by just the right amount, and I can even adjust the tension now using the screw at the back of the unit. Plus it’s pretty snug in there so it doesn’t fall out when I remove the arm.

I think I’ll leave it like that for now and see how it holds out.

Now on to shimming the nut...
  • Funny - I just joined this forum to find out what I can about the same trem. unit.  I have an excellent Washburn with exactly the same Takeuchi unit as the op's pictures. With reference to the uploaded photo in the first post, I have the same arm (A in the diagram), which passes through a nut on the base plate, then enters the sustain block and rests on a spring (U in the diagram) which is held in place in the sustain block by a brass set screw (V in the diagram.
    So Far, so Good.
    However, in spite of the arm A being threaded on its inner end, there's nothing for it to screw into. So it just sort-of floats about vaguely and indeed, comes out of the base quite readily if you give it a tug.  What gives?  How's it supposed to stay put? Or is it supposed to come out so easily?
    Any info on this aspect of an otherwise excellent trem. unit would be appreciated...