Best tap-tempo delay options?

What's Hot
JackGriffithsJackGriffiths Frets: 54
Hi all,

I'm looking for a delay with the ability to give me tap-tempo function, preferably with an external footswitch. The ability to have a second exp. out to control mix would be great, but not essential. Not looking for crazy, extensive delay time or even stereo options necessarily, just the best sounding, most functional and well-built delay. Analog tones aren't really required as I have my beloved Carbon Copy for that. True bypass would be ideal although the option to toggle between buffered and true bypass would be even better. Looping for home practise would be a bonus. As far as I can work out, the best options are the Boss DD7 and Hardwire DL8, though both have their downsides, notably the Boss 'tone-sucking' in bypass mode and the DL8 not having the ability to use external expression/tap tempo switches. Hopefully you can help me out!

Thanks,
Jack
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    edited May 2014
    I went on a similar journey to you, and I went the T-Rex route. I was wanting a Replica, but ended up going with a Duck Tail, as it can be had at a good price, has overall level control, tap tempo, analogue and  'normal' mode, and the cool ducking feature. That, and it sounds better than any delay I've owned. The Reptile 2 looked awesome as well.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2371
    To nova repeater or ib delay are both very good.
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    The tc flashback x4 does everything you need, but might be overkill. It's a big pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ this is what I would say if you have room.
  • The repeater is great and not too pricey, but requires dedicates power or a 300ma 9v out, which some power supplies (like mine :() don't have.

Otherwise, @bidley is on the money, t Rex stuff is awesome.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    The T Rex replica is a GREAT pedal...

For clean repeats, the Providence Chrono is a good choice, and the Timeline (I am finally reluctant to admit) can virtually do the lot...

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    No one better than Waz for delays - he's tried them all twice!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all your suggestions - 

I've looked at the T. Rex stuff but something about it just doesn't really do it for me. They are often more expensive than TC stuff as an example and I'm inclined to think that the tonal and build quality isn't worth the extra. The Flashback x 4 is certainly the best option but would take up far too much space for me. I really like the TC Repeater but am concerned about powering the thing - it requires 300ma and without using a current doubler, which would essentially mean having one less pedal available on the board, the most I can get out of my VLPP2+ is 250ma. Has anyone had any bad experience with this? 

Thanks,
    Jack
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2371
     I' ve powered the repeater and nova delay with my diago powerstation with no problems.
  • Could you use a current doubler and just daisy chain a couple of drives on a different output? They tend not to be too noisy together.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    I just bought an Empress Superdelay. Does everything you want, and if budget can be stretched I'd recommend it.... It's triffik.
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    JackGriffiths;229436" said:
    I really like the TC Repeater but am concerned about powering the thing - it requires 300ma and without using a current doubler, which would essentially mean having one less pedal available on the board, the most I can get out of my VLPP2+ is 250ma. Has anyone had any bad experience with this? 

Thanks,

Jack
    I run a Nova Repeater off output 5/6 of my PP2+ at 12V no problem. They even recommend this in the manual for the PP2+. The repeater is a great delay.
  • ChéChé Frets: 305
    edited May 2014
    A Line 6 DL4 or Akai Headrush should do it. Stick it in a loop on full wet with a volume pedal. Both have digital and analog/tape models and give you looping features.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Boss DD20? - analogue dry through signal, stereo ins & outs if needed, short looper (27 secs I think) - easily powered. Might have one up for grabs with a handy mini tap tempo footswitch if interested..
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I may be in the minority, but I really like Boss delays. I think the DD3/5/7/20 are all great pedals. Hated the Flashback. I actually don't like any of the small TC pedals. Quite liked the Nova delay and reverb, though.

My favourite digital delay with tap that's not stupid money is the Hazarai Memory Man. Construction is dogshit, in my opinion, though. Good old EHX.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1580
    edited May 2014
    Have a T-rex replica, simply awesome. Also briefly owned a Flashback and it was awful, compared to the replica it was the most unmusical, tone lacking delay I've ever owned. Yes there is a price difference but my MXR carbon copy sounds good and that's a mainstream pedal.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    edited May 2014
    Diamond Memory Lane jr ticks a lot of these boxes. Tap tempo in a fairly compact format, and you can also switch the modulation on and off by holding down the tap footswitch. Internal switching for buffer or true bypass. Other than that it's simply a great sounding digital delay that doesn't sound overly digital but doesn't try to replicate anolog. It's comfortable in its own skin so to speak.
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 92

Thanks for all your suggestions - 

I've looked at the T. Rex stuff but something about it just doesn't really do it for me. They are often more expensive than TC stuff as an example and I'm inclined to think that the tonal and build quality isn't worth the extra. The Flashback x 4 is certainly the best option but would take up far too much space for me. I really like the TC Repeater but am concerned about powering the thing - it requires 300ma and without using a current doubler, which would essentially mean having one less pedal available on the board, the most I can get out of my VLPP2+ is 250ma. Has anyone had any bad experience with this? 

Thanks,
    Jack
    Hi Jack, tonal quality and build on TRex Replica destroys TC, it just looks boring.The Nova and Repeater are cool if they are on all of the time or in a loop as they they quite a bit of your signal. 
    The cleanest best quality IMO is the Providence Chrono and you can connect external tap tempo but not mix. Also expensive. There are some good suggestions here but all sound really different. Live, I used to run to DL8's, one for rhythm one for lead. Sounded awesome! Now I run a Chrono and a Replica. Sounds better but more expensive. If you have the cash go Chrono. If not, go DL8. I will be putting a Diamond Memory Lane Jnr on the bay later if that interests you.

Cheers Rich
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1047
    Another vote for the repeater.

Does what it's supposed, tap tempo on the front and, unlike so many, is easy to understand and use.  I power mine with the mains supply that came with it.

dunstanmus -  "they they quite bit of you signal" is the second they meant to be a rob or distort?  Personally, I find the TCF totally transparent where ever I've put it in my rig.  Is there something unusual with your gear?
  • Okay, so I can now rest assured that powering the thing is simple. :-)

I'm torn between the Nova Repeater and Nova Delay. I think the display on the ND could prove very useful.