Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Abuse from ebay seller

What's Hot

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Ah, it’s that guy - I’ve had a run in with him and he does appear to be, as suggested above, a complete dickhead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    @KrisGee, so how much is his Telecaster really worth ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Yes. He does come across as rude and combative from a previous exchange. I’d avoid everything from him.  
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    mbe said:
    These sell for anything between 500 and 800 quid. As that's and 80s one I'd say 700 private sale max if it  played exceptionally well compared to the modern ones as they still make them.
    As for being called a jerk few posts earlier, I'll leave that with no comments. All I can say I wouldn't call anyone on the forum like this. 
    GLWTS goes to Steve from Derby, I shall probably apologise to him for getting in touch and expressing my opinion, he's a sound fella after all... NOT :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    KrisGee said:
    As for being called a jerk few posts earlier, I'll leave that with no comments. All I can say I wouldn't call anyone on the forum like this. 
    I’m pretty sure that was a tongue in cheek comment and not meant as a serious insult. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    It does really say something when, out of all the people selling music gear online in the UK, it was possible to identify this one by the way he reacts to polite suggestions about pricing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Ah, that guy. :o

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Thing is, if you look at an ebay posting and think "who in their right mind would ask that kind of money for one of those?" then the answer is not-so-discreetly hidden in the question.

Massively overpriced items are either being sold by those who aren't in their right mind in which ignore with extreme prejudice or aren't really for sale at all in which case just move on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    KrisGee said:
    mbe said:
    These sell for anything between 500 and 800 quid. As that's and 80s one I'd say 700 private sale max if it  played exceptionally well compared to the modern ones as they still make them.
    GLWTS goes to Steve from Derby, I shall probably apologise to him for getting in touch and expressing my opinion, he's a sound fella after all... NOT :D
    Hmm, that value is what I thought. One could almost be forgiven for thinking that the asking price was a mistake. 

WRT corresponding with over-optimistic sellers, I think it's an open and competitive market place and any dialogue is allowed so long as it's polite. If someone is questioned about the value of an item for sale, the seller is at liberty to give a plausible reason for the high value or merely say that the price is fixed and not up for any further negotiation. Any abuse from sellers should be reported to ebay if there is evidence of it in the ebay messaging correspondence. 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    I don’t as a rule contact eBay sellers regarding over pricing as they must eventually realise that they’re asking too much or they’re just nutters/ chancers. I did recently contact a seller offering a generous buy it now price for a guitar which he was auctioning and he refused it. A couple of days later I won the guitar in the auction for £100 less than I had originally offered him. I can’t help feeling that there’s a lesson to be learned there but I don’t know what it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    The lesson is (I think) that you are clearly a good judge of value. Also, what's meant for you won't pass you by. Keep it up :)

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    People will never listen. I’ve seen the same heavily modded guitar advertised on Facebook for the last two years. It will never sell for what the guy is asking. It’s about £400 over priced. I did think about telling him. But there is no point. It will be on sale this time next year. Or they’ll go to a dealer and have a reality check on a trade in. But y’know people are people. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2019
    ICBM said:
    Forward the messages to Ebay.

But in future, don't waste time trying to tell people their stuff is overpriced, it never works.
    Agreed, and at the end of the day it's their gear and they are entitled to ask what they want for it just as prospective buyers are entitled to make an offer. I merely say that I'm interested and I appreciate they are trying to get the best price they can but unfortunately  £xx is the most I'm able to offer.  If it's of interest that's great if not I always wish them well with their auction and hope they get the price they are looking for but if they don't the door is open to come back to me if I haven't found something else.

EBay stuff is often notoriously overpriced but if I tell someone their gear is overpriced all I'll do is alienate them. I always think it's good to try and build a raport if I can.  Sometimes a seller will warm to me and a deal can be done whilst other times I just have to let the gear go. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • On the reverse of this, my R9 is on ebay for 3000 and today I got a best offer of 2000.

No message and the guy has two guitars for sale which are definately overpriced, including a Les Paul Standard for 1700.

Youve got to laugh. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So many deluded sellers out there at the moment. 

Another eBay special with a guy asking £1699 for a Cornford MK50 mk1. Will only accept very close offers 

Dealers are only knocking these out for £899-950 when they get them in 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited September 2020
    Just had an offer on my CS Strat from the charming Essexrecordingstudio. To say it was derisory is an insult to the word derisory. It was automatically rejected.

It got me wondering whether he has auto-decline set up on his items. And guess what - he doesn't. 

So I've just offered him £30 on his Megadeth drumkit which he has up for £25k. Response awaited. I have said that I can collect. 

Not that it'd be funny if everyone did this, of course...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn’t want to get into an Ebay squabble with you Hatti. I reckon you’ve got staying power !
  • On the reverse of this, my R9 is on ebay for 3000 and today I got a best offer of 2000.

No message and the guy has two guitars for sale which are definately overpriced, including a Les Paul Standard for 1700.

Youve got to laugh. 
    send him a message insisting his guitars are priced too low
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Just had an offer on my CS Strat from the charming Essexrecordingstudio. To say it was derisory is an insult to the word derisory. It was automatically rejected.

It got me wondering whether he has auto-decline set up on his items. And guess what - he doesn't. 

So I've just offered him £30 on his Megadeth drumkit which he has up for £25k. Response awaited. I have said that I can collect. 

Not that it'd be funny if everyone did this, of course...
    It’s probably because you’re already reasonably priced (so for eBay that’s low priced) and it’s sat long enough for some to test if you’re getting desperate. Like your way of dealing with it though!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I put an offer on a model train i wanted from a seller .certainly not came back the reply .The last one went for twice that .Fair enough .At the final second of the auction it went or for 20 quid less than my offer .The bidder was me ....it later happened again a week later .I really must stop buying toy trains and buy guitars instead .The trouble is a new  guitar is  like an invasion ,a toy train can be smuggled in ..he he .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom