GAS: Harley Benton E-35 CH. Pick-up swap!

What's Hot
NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
edited August 2014 in Guitar
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/0F0E2E47-5BA0-4BBA-86CC-FD0324DC26C9_zpsado94wca.jpg The third of the three Harley Bentons I ordered. The first two Teles are very good indeed. In fact having spent a week on holiday with just the Rosewood Tele I think it's a fabulous guitar for the money. So, it's far from perfect as the following pics will show but it sounds great and again, like the Teles, it plays really well. Came with the usual bone dry fretboard and dull frets. Felt too bendy with the installed 9's so I put my usual 10's on and oiled the board. Problems: Rough woodwork on the bottom of these two frets. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/02402626-A617-4520-B86A-EE4E8400CECD_zpspsj6hx5z.jpg Wonky machine head: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/D72D82F6-230F-45BB-900A-2828E1B99FD7_zps9dsx6ave.jpg Rough finishing around the f-holes. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/6B107439-620F-4C61-B074-3B25A62D6705_zpszsqvrhu7.jpg It does however have a nicely cut nut. Unlike some guitars we've seen recently! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/778B20C1-0F2A-4148-8E2C-22C6ED92279F_zpszkztwq2f.jpg I'll try and get some more pics tomorrow when the light is better. It sounds (to my ears) really good. I think it's got quite high power pick-ups, probably El Cheapo ceramics. Might pull them tomorrow and have a look. But it has a nice snarl to the bridge and a depth to the neck tones that I would expect from this type of guitar. The neck is slimmer than my Epi LP custom, I'd say modern C shape.and the frets look like gibson size. All the controls work and the bridge hardware looks substantial compared to a lot of the low end gibson-sequel guitars I've seen. For the price it's an absolute bargain. It's not near Epiphone in the quality stakes but for a third of the price it's probably 95% as good.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Oh, acoustically it's quite loud and the center block does seem to be fitted really well to the back. The headstock shape is quite nice and the colour is good too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That looks very much like it's what I expected it to be, a bit rough around the edges but a great guitar to upgrade some bits on and give it a final polish and setup.

I think I'm in for one of these in black.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Do it! Mine is getting some proper black knobs and a 335 style 'plate. Undecided on the pick-ups but not immediately going with the intended Dimarzio Tone Zone and Virtual PAF.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11990
    tFB Trader
    Pair of P90s :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    I use to have a Sheraton with humbucker size p90s in and it sounded gorgeous. I'm good for p90 guitars at moment so I'd like some real vintage like humbuckers probably irongear due to bang to pound ratio.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Nice :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Nice to see they have the Gibson vibe down pat with the dodgy QC and finish.

=))
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    underdog said:
    I use to have a Sheraton with humbucker size p90s in and it sounded gorgeous. I'm going for p90 guitars at moment so I'd like some real vintage like humbuckers probably irongear due to bang to pound ratio.
    Heard a Epi 335 with TeslaSharks and it sounded really quite nice. Pretty close to my own Blitz Spirits ... the alnico 2 suits 335s nicely to my ears.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

In your opinion would the same set of pickups in a 335 and a Les Paul make for very similar sounding guitars? I've got an LP with the SD alnico 2s in it already, it's was something I was wondering
    tFB Trader
    I may not have the same ears as everyone else, but to me ... with the same pickups, a 335 style semi has a naturally more woody and open sound. More in the 'sustain envelope' and harmonics than anything else. The lower feedback threshold also makes the whole guitar feel more 'live' than a LP in the same circumstances.

I think they "feel" a lot different too. My playing style on the 335 is different to my Les Paul. Seems a lot more bluesy on the 335.
    edited May 2014
    I had an immediate impression it sounded "bigger" and had more body to the tone. Hopefully today I can try it against my LP.
    Tell you one of the things it does have over an Epi is the headstock shape, the HB one is much nicer and doesn't seem to have half an acre of wood hanging off it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's great fun to play. Bridge pick-up still sounding good, neck is perhaps a bit muddy on the bass strings but that's not unusual.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @underdog you're right about Epi headstocks. Whatever else they get right, their headstocks are always WRONG
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited May 2014
    Phil_aka_Pip;230112" said:
    @underdog you're right about Epi headstocks. Whatever else they get right, their headstocks are always WRONG
    Yeah they are huge, I often wonder if they left enough wood just so you could cut it into a Gibson one without much hassle :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1740
    Tonerider Rocksongs are sweet for a 335 type .I had them in my Dot which I stupidly sold .
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    Hard to argue for the money nice looking semi but I would be a bit disappointed with the fingerboard flaw.

Was that a one of or are they all like that

Still tempted to pull the trigger as have pickups and stuff laying around that could upgrade one. 

If you don't like the guitar thomann will collect it off you, so it's a win win really.