Midi controllers

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
Anyone got any experience of using a midi controller for stuff like the Eventide factor series or big strymon stuff?

What's the functionality of such beasts - I want one to make live use of the modfactor a bit simpler - it's the best sounding modulation I've ever heard so want to spend some time making it work for me
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Do you mean using a floor controller for the Modfactor, which is maybe in a rack along with all the other pedals?
    Or do you mean using midi control, maybe via an expression pedal attached to the Modfactor?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6327
    tFB Trader
    I have disaster amps doc-4 gen2 for controlling my eventide h9, It adds all the functionality that is hard to access on the stock unit. Excellent.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    @thorpy6
    Yes I was looking at those as my mate has one and says it's the nuts

What stuff can it do?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I've just ordered a DMC-6D and expander switch from Disaster Area. Controlling strymons / Eventides is exactly what they are designed for. Check them out at www.disasterareaamps.com
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    I did email disaster area a week ago but heard nowt - I'll try again
    Strange. Matt always respond quickly with me. Did you use their contact form on Matts website? Try again. Matt's customer service is second to none considering he's a small company.
    Yes, i used the form on the website - Most of these US company's customer service could really teach the UK lot a thing or two couldn't they!

Been dealing with MJT recently and their communication is superb - every email treats me like I've just ordered every single guitar they have ever build

Nice guys
    If you wanted to avoid customs duty charges Matt has a French dealership called The Effect Factory. Cheaper in euros and only 16 euros delivery. Just don't have matts full stock in all the time but they'll order it for you :)
    edited May 2014
    That's interesting - ta.

My mate tom just had his delivered and didn't get for duty - lucky sod!

The French one is only cheaper if you don't get hit for duty though
    I don't think you get hit with duty from a European company
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 92
    Do you want it to just change presets or do you want to use your unit to its best? If so, you want a controller that will send CC's. This way you can increase repeats or mix etc without changing the preset. Also means if you have an algo that does mod verb echo you can have the echo on then add the mod, verb or both with just one press rather than programming another preset.  Alot of people get fed up with midi because they dont use it to its best. I only use 4 actual presets then add and take away within the preset. 
    If you want to get this right first time you need something like RJM Mastermind. Disaster area don't do this.

Cheers Rich
    Disaster area designs sends Cc's. A lot smaller than most on the market too which was a consideration for me as I'm quite anal about keeping a smallish board etc.
    Can we all go back to talking English now please!!
    LOL I didn't understand either at the beginning. Don't really understand much more now but after much research I'm getting to understand CC midi messages. Only because everyone mentions them as if I should know already :)
    Travisthedog;230034" said:
    Can we all go back to talking English now please!!
    Do I need cc's then?

So if I wanted to lengthen the dive of some flange mid song - I could do that ?
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 92
    Yes. If you read the back of the manual you will see a list of which number CC does what. If you want to do it you then need a controller which can send that number. I agree it is about the size of the board. I sold the 3 Eventide units and DMC5 and replaced with a H9 and RJM Mastermind.  Board is super small and works much better. Took a bit of understanding. Wish i had done it 10 years ago.
    God don't give me gas for more toys !!
    tFB Trader
    It's best to look at the website to get an idea of what it can do. I use it to move up and down the h9's presets. Bypass the effect, auto switch to my favourite preset, I have a boos expression plugged into it to adjust whatever preset I want on the algorithm. But it can do soooooo much more and on top of its own tasks it frees up an expression slot on the h9 which I use to toggle the tuner, activate the hot switch and a third option too. Matthew is great too, perfect service and very helpful
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    @thorpy6 That explains a lot!!

DMC3 GEN2 ORDERED

You were right - Matt is a top blolke