Full David Gilmour auction catalogue

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited May 2019
    Lot 57 looks a bloody bargain!!  - Pair of Rivera designed Fender Concerts...

oh and sshhh!! - Lot 107  !!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

He's also messed most of them up by changing tuners etc. ;)

My 54 Goldtop for sale on here has a nicer top - just sayin ;)

But in all seriousness, an amazing collection - prior to unemployment I was going to bid, but nothing will go for sensible money - and I have a bit of a problem with the fact we'll get stung on all the duty etc. when the guitars reside in the UK are showing in the UK - but they've got the sale in the US to attract the big $$$
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1680
    57Deluxe said:
    Lot 57 looks a bloody bargain!!  - Pair of Rivera designed Fender Concerts...

oh and sshhh!! - Lot 107  !!!
    That 107 - a US Strat actually owned by one of the most highly thought of musicians of all time with an estimate of less than a new US Standard. $1k-$1.5k my arse! I mean, come on, half the guitarists on the planet will be after these. I'd pay $2k and take it off them right now :-) Somehow I suspect, as already pointed out, they're just drumming up interest.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 462
    peteri said:
    I went and looked in London (see my thread), the prices are clearly too low - many by a factor of 10 I'd say.

I'm just reading Tony Bacon's ES335 book, which mentions that when Clapton's 335 was auctioned in 2004, it had an pre-sale estimate of $60-80K. It sold for $847,500.

I'm sure these people know what they've got and what they're doing, and what I know about auctions could be written on one side of a Dunlop stubby, but surely an "estimate" is meant to be a reasonable guide?
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    there is a leftie.....a leftie I say.........I am hoping none of you lot will go for it....
    Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7396
    do you think they will do part ex???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    Ooooh, those Black Guards and the Gold Tops, already have one of each, no interest there for me, so , with this consideration in mind, I'm out.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    My actual copy of the auction catalogue arrived today. Very nice it is too!
  • Tikibird44Tikibird44 Frets: 15
    There is a Jedson lap steel at British Bespoke auctions in Gloucestershire at the moment that says it was played by David Gilmour. Estimate £100-£150. Maybe it only has three legs as the other was used as a breakout tool.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1514
    edited May 2019
    markv said:
    peteri said:
    I went and looked in London (see my thread), the prices are clearly too low - many by a factor of 10 I'd say.

I'm sure these people know what they've got and what they're doing, and what I know about auctions could be written on one side of a Dunlop stubby, but surely an "estimate" is meant to be a reasonable guide?
    With the possible exception of a few 'iconic' lots (eg. the "black Strat"), I think Christies provide estimates based on the market value of these guitars without the Gilmour factor. As auctioneers they can gauge an idea of an item's 'normal' likely sale price from previous sales but it is virtually impossible for them to estimate what kind of premium the association with Gilmour will add. It's not as if Gilmour guitars and memorabilia are regularly sold at auction.

If anyone is seriously considering putting in a bid for any of the 'lesser' items, it's worth considering that the connection with Gilmour is, in some cases, simply that he owned the guitar. If you read the blurbs for some of the guitars, it is clear that he probably never even played the guitar in question. That's not to say that those guitars aren't still interesting but I wouldn't pay silly money for one.
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    stonevibe said:
    My actual copy of the auction catalogue arrived today. Very nice it is too!
    Mine too.
    I thought it would never arrive. I paid for it weeks ago. 

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Like @stonevibe my copy of the catalogue arrived yesterday. All of DG's gear is of interest and I thought properly photographed and displayed would be worth £30. It surely is, quite a bit of history included, a very nice coffee table book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    My son brought mine round yesterday - a belated birthday present. The red Strat for me, I think....
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1286
    markv said:
    peteri said:

With the possible exception of a few 'iconic' lots (eg. the "black Strat"), I think Christies provide estimates based on the market value of these guitars without the Gilmour factor. As auctioneers they can gauge an idea of an item's 'normal' likely sale price from previous sales but it is virtually impossible for them to estimate what kind of premium the association with Gilmour will add. It's not as if Gilmour guitars and memorabilia are regularly sold at auction.

If anyone is seriously considering putting in a bid for any of the 'lesser' items, it's worth considering that the connection with Gilmour is, in some cases, simply that he owned the guitar. If you read the blurbs for some of the guitars, it is clear that he probably never even played the guitar in question. That's not to say that those guitars aren't still interesting but I wouldn't pay silly money for one.
    Similar thoughts to mine.

For a lot of stuff I think there's a massive, massive danger of overpaying.

Of course the GT, the black Strat etc will always hold value.

But if you really bid up (say) a Gretsch that he's never been seen with, that price represents the fair market value of the instrument at that time as one of DGs guitars.

Now five years down the line, when it's a guitar 'formerly owned by DG' and 'currently owned by Pete' - I really can't see how you'd come close to getting your money back.

Once the hype of the auction has gone.

I think we'll see a lot of people losing money in the heat of the moment
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6310
    peteri said:
    markv said:
    peteri said:

But if you really bid up (say) a Gretsch that he's never been seen with, that price represents the fair market value of the instrument at that time as one of DGs guitars.

Now five years down the line, when it's a guitar 'formerly owned by DG' and 'currently owned by Pete' - I really can't see how you'd come close to getting your money back.

Agreed, the only ones that will hold and increase in value will be the ones with photographic evidence of DG playing them (and they are going to go for big bucks). The rest will likely hold some residual value for a while but it's unlikely to hold up in the long run.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2524
    peteri said:
    markv said:
    peteri said:

Nonsense....you are probably the guy that thinks the vintage market is going downhill too. A friend of a friend bought a guitar from the first Clapton auction, he kept it ten years then sold it for three times the asking price raking in a cool $80k profit...and sidetracking to the vintage market, I just saw someone sell a non original 54 Strat for twice what he paid for it three years back.....went from £18k to £36k....and that was to a dealer who now has it on at £50k! There's always another punter with deep pockets....but hey if any of you buy one of those DG guitars I will gladly give you a wad less than you paid in ten years time.... :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 111
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Can't help thinking THE Black Strat will be nearer the million mark.As other contributors have alluded to, deep pocketed GAS men and investors will be salivating.Some cracking stuff going here.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1286
    Strat54 said:
    peteri said:
    markv said:
    peteri said:

Nonsense....you are probably the guy that thinks the vintage market is going downhill too. A friend of a friend bought a guitar from the first Clapton auction, he kept it ten years then sold it for three times the asking price raking in a cool $80k profit...and sidetracking to the vintage market, I just saw someone sell a non original 54 Strat for twice what he paid for it three years back.....went from £18k to £36k....and that was to a dealer who now has it on at £50k! There's always another punter with deep pockets....but hey if any of you buy one of those DG guitars I will gladly give you a wad less than you paid in ten years time.... :) 
    I am absolutely not that guy - if I was I'd be an idiot, since all my guitars are vintage - 54 Les Paul and onwards, I would not have bought those thinking the market was going down.

Yes vintage guitars have gone up a lot, and I hope they continue to do so - but I think most people would acknowledge that the prices have plateau'd at the moment. Last year I sold a Special I doubled my money on in 2 years, I don't see that anytime soon again. We're now in a phase of steady prices for a year or two I reckon.

There's always a friend of a friend etc. but the reality is - these are not going to be cheap guitars, there is a lot of interest and they're being sold in the US meaning it will cost a lot of money to get them back over here (and I talked to Christies they insist on shipping back to the UK no flying to collect).

So paying all that for the Wall GT - yes sure, but paying that for a Gretsch he's never been seen playing and isn't particularly rare model then paying for all the hassle of shipping it over here with duty etc. does not make any sort of 'investment' sense.

I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but I find your reply pretty insulting to be honest
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    FastEddie said:
    there is a leftie.....a leftie I say.........I am hoping none of you lot will go for it....
    Wherewherewhere? Just curious, of course (cough)...

Does anybody know if it's possible to watch the auction live on the internet? 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 58
    edited June 2019
    Reminder: Auction is tomorrow @ 10:00 New York time (15:00 here).

@clarkefan I wanted to know the same thing.  There is something called Christie's LIVE which apparently allows online viewing and bidding.  Not tested it though.

Edit:  Just tested it with the iOS app and joined a London auction in progress at the moment.  Sitting at work so don't have sound but the video certainly works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom