Fender '68 Customs

RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
After the 'mishap' with my DRRI it has been confirmed that it has been thoroughly trashed and will be replaced with a new amp.  I did like the idea of a Super-Sonic but the difference in values and unavailability of stock in Europe made it a bit awkward.  So.....  I have been offered a '68 Custom Twin.  It really does appeal.  Anyone tried or have one?  Opinions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Not heard one but they look great! ;)
    What you really need is a nice 2x10 Tweed Pro Jr in a custom built pine cab. :D
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Well, I have a very nice Cornford RH30............
    The advantage with the Pro Jr is that I can actually lift it. I really liked the Cornford a lot, but it was heavy... that said, I'm currently 'looking after' a Marshall combo at the moment that seems heavy enough to be directly connected to the centre of the earth. So much so, that given my knackered back, I'm not even going to bother trying to take it along to a single rehearsal... which is rubbish because it sounds briliant! 

Sheesh, old age hasn't much to recommend it. :)
  • I tried one of the Princeton 68 Customs at the weekend.  It's a really lovely sounding amp - I much prefer it to the PRRI, and I think that's a great amp too.  But of course, a Twin is a completely different beast.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    I like the look of those 68's  If I was in the market for something to replace my twin I'd want to try them - looks like a nice deal in exchange for the drri
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I really want the DRRI! Might treat myself to one soon. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    Richardj said:

So.....  I have been offered a '68 Custom Twin.  It really does appeal.  Anyone tried or have one?  Opinions?
    That's a huge upgrade over a DRRI, but be warned... it's a very heavy amp!

I do really think the SF Twin is one of the best-sounding amps ever made though, at any volume - provided you want clean.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Cheers guys.  TBH I was a bit underwhelmed by the DRRI, maybe it wasn't a good one but it was always a bit thin sounding and I didn't like to push it too hard, relying on pedals for dirtier sounds.  Like the idea of the Custom Twin a lot and I'm prepared for the weight of it as it is the same as the Cornford RH30.  Only disadvantage is there isn't any free stock at the moment so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be delivered to Fender in Paris, who will then act as the dealer and check it is perfect before it comes down to me.  I think it'll be worth the wait however!
  • The 68 Custom Twin sounds great on here, though the tremolo is awful.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I think it sounds naff on that clip, personally. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    knuckleberryfinn;232178" said:
    I tried one of the Princeton 68 Customs at the weekend.  It's a really lovely sounding amp - I much prefer it to the PRRI, and I think that's a great amp too.  But of course, a Twin is a completely different beast.
    I have the 68 Princeton, it really is fabulous, and I think the twin would be perfect for Richardj's requirements.