Tremolo pedal for Boulivard of Broken Dreams......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    dogload said:
    This is true, but I found that even direct into a desk it didn't quite cut the mustard. Just my preference of course.
    I had one and it wouldn't be my first choice for a very choppy trem, just might be worth experimenting more with what the OP has already - or can get very cheaply-  I suppose.

Actually, the last time I was in a rehearsal studio the guitarist in the room next door had this most amazing choppy trem sound on quite a distorted tone. I nearly knocked on the door just to ask what it was - obviously I should have done so now! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    You have my sympathies, that is such a boring song that the only benefit of it's inclusion is an excuse for more GAS. :(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    I just listened to it again to be sure that my memory hadn't deceived me.

It hadn't. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited May 2014
    IanSavage said:
    I think that older TR2s had a bit of a volume drop when activated, apparently they've sorted it on later ones.
    Yeah I think so. Mine has the volume drop. :(

I think you need something that will do square wave tremolo- not all tremolo pedals will.

I have a vague recollection of reading in a guitar mag at one point that the tremolo on BOBD was added during production (i.e. not a live effect like a pedal), but I have no idea what they actually used for it. I imagine a decent square wave tremolo pedal will get close enough for rock n roll, though.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967

That effect was drawn in Protools as the real  trem effect wasn't on the beat enough. I remember reading about it when the album came out. When I saw them live that part was flown in from the desk despite having an extra guitar player
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited May 2014
    @Dave_Mc...Yes you are right it needs square wave not triangle...and as I said am already getting a nice pretty damn close sound using my GT-100's trem effect...hence why I thought the first one to look at might be the TR-2. I don't want to spend a fortune on an effect that will be used for 1 song in my bands setlist...and seldom used anywhere else if at all. Glad to be told that the older ones have a volume dip when on I need to watch out for that if I get a used TR-2. The Moorer Trelicopter was also another one I was thinking about to...espesh as it wont take up much space ie will squeeze onto my board without any fuss...just if I got one without trying it first (none around in local shops) I'd be miffed if it didn't do it...where I'm guessing the TR-2 must be at least as good as the one in my GT-100. Shame no other bugger on here has covered that song live..would've been nice to hear what they used.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    I seem to remember the volume drop on the older TR2 could be remedied by clipping the leg off one cap on the board. Tried this & it did seem to work,.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The TR2 doesn't do a proper 'chop'. The older PN2 does that.
    The cheapest way would be a secondhand Pulsar, which gets close, but doesn't quite warrant a cigar.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Danny1969 said:

That effect was drawn in Protools as the real  trem effect wasn't on the beat enough. I remember reading about it when the album came out.
    Yeah that (sort of :)) ) rings a bell
    siraxeman said:
    @Dave_Mc...Yes you are right it needs square wave not triangle...and as I said am already getting a nice pretty damn close sound using my GT-100's trem effect...hence why I thought the first one to look at might be the TR-2. I don't want to spend a fortune on an effect that will be used for 1 song in my bands setlist...and seldom used anywhere else if at all. Glad to be told that the older ones have a volume dip when on I need to watch out for that if I get a used TR-2. The Moorer Trelicopter was also another one I was thinking about to...espesh as it wont take up much space ie will squeeze onto my board without any fuss...just if I got one without trying it first (none around in local shops) I'd be miffed if it didn't do it...where I'm guessing the TR-2 must be at least as good as the one in my GT-100. Shame no other bugger on here has covered that song live..would've been nice to hear what they used.
    Yeah I'm sure if you do some googling you'llbe able to get some info on serial numbers etc. to avoid the volume drop, but i don't know it offhand...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    edited May 2014
    The Mooer Mod Factory has a square wave tremolo effect IIRC. Calling @Bucket to tell you about it...

And when you no longer do this song it has ten other effects.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    The Mooer Mod Factory has a square wave tremolo effect IIRC. Calling @Bucket to tell you about it...

And when you no longer do this song it has ten other effects.
    The Slicer effect on the Mod Factory is awesome.

Really good pedal, my only niggle is one that you'd sort of expect anyway - you have to spend a lot of time dialling in the controls if you're switching between different effects - going from a chorus to an envelope filter sound, for example, requires a lot of tweaking.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."