NPD

CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
edited May 2014 in FX
Just got my Mojo Hand Rook from @voxmanjohn:)

Very nice.  It's got three switch settings: up, down and middle.  I like the middle setting for a clean boost, but the down setting is a better all round one.

It goes from a unity gain eq type thing, to a nice clean boost with overdrive when cranked (middle setting) to a blitzkrieg of gain (upper setting and, to a lesser extent, the lower setting).  The upper and lower settings have a gain ceiling on them, which compresses the signal, so oddly is parity gain with the guitar's volume rolled down, but quieter with the guitar at full tilt than when bypassed.  This is a strange situation, going from all out Doom metal at manageable volume to ear splitting cleans when bypassing the pedal.  This is at extreme settings, though, and that can be dialled out.  Anyway that's not how this pedal is best employed.

It adds a huge bass boost in the upper setting, and a lesser bass boost in the lower setting, but it's still clearly adding bass.

But the pedal shines when it's set just on the edge of breakup at middling volume on the guitar pickup.  Tipping it over in either boost or down switch mode adds bass, boosts the mids, and (especially in the down position) adds a bit of clipping and sustain.  Great for Parisienne Walkways.  Also great for chords and riffing.

The bass and treble controls react differently depending on which setting is used.  With the clean boost, they are very effective.  Less so with the clipping diodes engaged.

It's very responsive to guitar volume, and can go from super clean to very distorted in one channel (it's more distorted in the upper setting, and breaks up earlier, and can pick up emanations from black holes, but the lower setting goes from clean-ish to very gainy).

I wouldn't use it into an SS amp (apart from the clean boost setting), but it's brilliant for tipping a valve preamp into distortion.

Overall, mega win.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom