Guitar packing and shipping guide.

What's Hot
MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
edited June 2019 in Guitar
I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t post their Guitars, and offer collection only. This can restrict your buyers, and more often than not hurt your pocket. If you’re not used to using a courier for Guitars it can be a scary, daunting process, so I thought I’d put together this guide to make the whole thing a little easier.

First off, I’m not a dealer or a business. I don’t have any accounts with any couriers or suppliers. I’m just a normal Joe, someone who is pretty much addicted to Guitars, and maybe buy more than I probably should. And where I’m located it’s not a case of popping down the local Guitar shop, as there isn’t one. So most of my incoming Guitars are via couriers, and over the last couple of decades I’ve picked up a bit of experience in the best (and at the same time affordable) way of doing things.

So here is a very simple, affordable and secure guide to help you. Any costs you incur you can factor into your selling price if you so wish, but I’ll break all the costs down for you as I go.

You’re going to need packing tape. If you do an online auction search for “48mm x 66m Fragile Tape x 6 Rolls”, and sort the results from the cheapest, you should aim to get 6 rolls for approx £7 delivered. I like Scotch/3M brand, cost' s bit more, but that's entirely up to you. Even the cheapest rolls shouldn't give you any issues with stick if you wrap them round onto themselves and use enough of the stuff.

Next bubble wrap. The ones in your local shops are overpriced and undersized, so again do a search for “500mm x 100m Bubble Wrap” and you should aim to get a full Roll for approx £12 delivered.

Delivery usually takes a couple of days, but some of the sellers offer 24hr delivery for that price so look out for that. Also if you have Amazon Prime, you will find similar deals on there with guaranteed next day included.

Now you need a Cardboard Box. There are a few ways to do this. If you’re local to a Guitar Shop, or don’t mind driving to one further afield, then pop in. What I’ve found through experience is “don’t phone” in advance and ask if they have one, just pop in, and be polite. Remember all these shops have an online presence and will likely be just as desperate for the box as you are. What I do is ask politely if I can buy a decent Fender, Gibson or Martin Box, and offer the guy £20. The above boxes are great quality and double walled, and you’d be hard pushed to find a better option. If the guys nice enough to just give you one, then fine. If you pay for it, It’s money well spent.

Second option is to buy one online and have it delivered to you. Currently there is only really one proper seller on the auction site doing that, and I don’t want to link. Works out about £17-£20, and they do the job if you pack properly, but the boxes are single ply and quite thin. I’ve used this guy maybe a dozen times over the years, and as a last resort they’re okay.

Third box option is do a google search locally for cardboard box manufacturers. I was surprised at how many there was. Send them an email, tell them what you want. I did this with a local guy, and found if I bought boxes he already had made up, It worked out at just under a fiver a box. I have to cut and jiggle things about, but they’re good quality double walled boxes.

So anyway, you finally have your Box, Tape and Bubble Wrap, so onto packing.

First off, slacken the strings*

If you’re posting a Guitar in a gig-bag, lay the Bubble wrap on it’s side on the floor and roll the guitar in it’s gig bag over and over in the bubble wrap. There’s tons of the stuff on this roll so don’t be tight. Move up and down the guitar, and then do the same but top to bottom. Go back again and do it side to side, until you have a big puffy, very well padded Guitar. Don’t skimp on the bubble wrap, It is after all why you bought it. You might find that in your cardboard box there are fitted and protected ends, If not pack out the bottom with more bubble wrap or newspaper or cardboard if you have some, and do the same on the top. Try and restrict movement inside the box.

If you’re sending a guitar in a case, usually the case does a good job at keeping it from moving, but I like to cut up some bubble wrap and place some around the gaps, and under the Headstock. Again don’t skimp, but don’t put the guitar under any unnecessary pressure once the lid is closed. What I do next is repeat the above step and wrap the hard case in bubble wrap.

Once your Guitar is wrapped and in it’s cardboard box, tape it closed with that Fragile Tape. Make sure it’s well taped shut all over. Remember as well as being secure that "Fragile" tape is also sending a clear message to the courier, so make sure you use it. I usually end up using one full roll per Guitar, but on occasions have used two.

You also have lots of bubble wrap and tape left over to help with the next time you do it.

Okay, you’re ready for the courier now.

The best thing here is to restrict time in transit. You want to book a ‘next day’ service. You don’t want your £1000 Guitar being thrown about numerous depots over a number of days, that’s just asking for trouble. So next day service only.

Currently there are really only two couriers (as far as I’m aware) in the UK that offer a proper insured service for Guitars. UPS and DPD. I’ve never used DPD, but I’ve used UPS so many times now that we exchange Christmas cards. Be aware that there are numerous other couriers that will convince you that the extra insurance they’ve happily just taken off you covers Guitars. But It won’t be until something happens and you’re directed to the small print that you find out that’s not the truth.

You can book UPS for example in a couple of ways. Online at the UPS/uk website. It’s really easy. A Guitar boxes dimensions are usually approx 110cm x 40cm x 17cm, and the weight around 10kg. Remember and tick the “schedule a collection” which costs approx £2 more. UPS next day direct uninsured works out on average £30. Insured takes it up to around the £45-£50 mark, and  depending on what the value is of your guitar can go up some more. The cost to Spain, France, basically mainland Europe is approx £65. There are third parties (I won’t link to them), who you can book the exact same UPS service and extra insurance cover via, and it ‘sometimes’ works out a bit cheaper, but I tend to just do it direct.

That’s you… the UPS guy then comes to your house to pick the guitar up, and off it goes well packed and fully insured to it’s new owner who gets it the very next day.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to add your own advice.

*Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but it's something I do. My train of thought is, a Guitar is under 200lb of pressure. Would I rather take a chance on the neck taking a thump from a courier whilst it's under 200lb of pressure, or would I prefer the thump to happen with slackened strings?.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 497
    Thanks man. Very useful. 

One q I have is that I've heard both views on strings slackened vs tightened. Can't both be correct unless it just doesn't matter?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Impartial advice from someone who has shipped a lot of guitars... I’ve never slackened the strings. Is there a reason for loosening them? I’m sure I’ve read something online somewhere but I think it’s one of those “internet things”. 

Tape - don’t aim to buy cheap stuff. The amount of incoming parcels I receive from customers (for refinishing) where the tape has cleanly detached itself from the cardboard is shocking. 

Insurance - my experience is probably the same as most... it’s a load of shit. A courier will rarely (more than likely never) pay out. I’ve had a few claims in with couriers which involves someone coming out to inspect the damage. Never been successful yet. And unfortunately, unless you’re sending the guitar in a case you don’t have a leg to stand on. No matter how much bubble wrap you use. 

Overall its helpful info but you’re not going to convince someone to sell a guitar which needs to be shipped. I have a few friends who deliberately don’t ship to avoid and hassle in their lives. I can totally appreciate that. Due to what I have to send out every week I’m happy with my methods but everyone has a horror story to tell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1185
    edited June 2019
    I've found out in many cases sellers who don't want to ship guitar (myself included) are quite happy having them collected by a carrier service.

So the above applies to buyers as well, if you really want a guitar and the seller doesn't ship... be proactive, ask if the seller agrees to handling the packaging and having the guitar collected, whilst the buyer handles the shipping side of things.

I've done this on many of the guitars I've sold lately. The choice on whether to insure the guitar, is completely up to the buyer, as are the shipping costs (so they don't have to be included in the actual guitar price). The seller provides the packaging and is required to wait for collection.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited June 2019
    Thanks man - great recap, especially re: boxes and where to get them.

Overall its helpful info but you’re not going to convince someone to sell a guitar which needs to be shipped. I have a few friends who deliberately don’t ship to avoid and hassle in their lives. I can totally appreciate that. Due to what I have to send out every week I’m happy with my methods but everyone has a horror story to tell. 

Very valid point too. Overall for me it comes down to balancing the need for a quick(er) sale, the cost in relation to the guitar's value, and the non-negligible faff factor.

Case in point: just sold a Charvel, not getting much traction on here or Gumtree after about a week. Popped it on ebay for the £1 fee, and it sold within the hour. I happened to still have a decent guitar box in the attic so that was sorted. Booked UPS via Interparcel (actually undervaluing the guitar a bit as insurance for the full value doubled the cost), that was £35, a bit more than I charged as I thought it would deter buyers. Had to wait in all day for UPS because sod's law had it that they would turn up at 5pm. Hopefully it gets there safe and sound.

So I did get a swift sale at the best price I could get I think, but I'm also down £20 in paypal fees, £35 in shipping and my time waiting for UPS. If I'd had to buy a box that would have been another £15-20.

Could I have held out for a local cash sale for longer (maybe even at a lower price so potentially speeding up said sale)? Perhaps. I do know that I probably wouldn't do it for a guitar worth less than £500 (unless it's PPG with someone on here and they're happy paying full shipping cost, which can be a tricky proposition on a relatively common low-value guitar). Anything £1000+? You'd be mad not too, even if the cost of insurance does come into it then.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5625
    Impartial advice from someone who has shipped a lot of guitars... I’ve never slackened the strings. Is there a reason for loosening them? I’m sure I’ve read something online somewhere but I think it’s one of those “internet things”. 
    It reassures the buyer due to all the things they’ve read on the internet...
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2146
    Fifty9 said:
    Thanks man. Very useful. 

One q I have is that I've heard both views on strings slackened vs tightened. Can't both be correct unless it just doesn't matter?
    I've updated my post ;)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    I find you get a better deal via www.interparcel.com - UPS around £20/25 for most of the UK and generally less than £50 for large parts of Europe 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2830
    Thanks for posting that, I'm sure it will be very helpful for some people.  The only thing I'd add re sourcing boxes is that bicycle shops are often a good option and they are usually keen to get rid of them.  You have to adapt them sometimes but they're often a good size and strong.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    edited June 2019
    I’d echo the SCRelics point about buying decent tape and I would never buy the cheapest. I only buy 3M tape these days, it’s quality and reliable and I’d rather pay the extra for the security and peace of mind.

I think the point about slackening the strings relates to Gibsons or similar guitars with mahogany necks that can break relatively easily. The strings exert phenomenal pressure and if the package is dropped and there’s any weakness in the wood then the string-pull can put a crack in the neck quite easily. As @ICBM has said on here before, the direction of the grain on a Gibson’s neck-to-headstock area can influence how prone it will be to a neck break.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    edited June 2019
    By some miracle this ebay purchase arrived intact last week, you couldn't make it up!

http://i.imgur.com/w22OuhZ.jpg

Good write up @MikeS ; like you I have no decent local guitar vendor, travel incurs an expensive ferry fare so is finacially unviable, so I rely on couriers to sate my GAS....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ That's just crazy =)

• Thanks for the tips here Mike & others.

Personally I would not normally slacken strings but it does no harm, and I would comply if asked to. 

Rob Hayes of Whitstable Guitars had a disaster early in his selling career where a guitar he sent arrived damaged. Its likely that he was particularly unlucky, because it would have been well packaged. However, he now wont ship a guitar without a case and a double walled box. 

It's insurance that is the real issue for me. Its usually just not worth doing. For that reason when I ordered a guitar a few years back from NorthEastGuitars (a model I had no experience of) I was grateful of the optional service of vendor providing collection / recovery of the guitar at their risk. That option cost £30 at the time, and I didn't need to use it, but it was worth it to me at the time for peace of mind, just in case I didn't like it.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5032
    I know this is a bit of a blast from the past, but I've just found this and want to say thanks for the advice. I'm really, REALLY not keen on posting guitars, and happily have never had to, being quite content to drive hunderds of miles to pick guitars up and also drop them off.

However, I have a couple of guitars that aren't of too much value that haven't really moved here or on eBay, and I suspect that lack of delivery might be the key. I've read horror stories of things being damaged, so I reckon I can afford to 'lose' the money if push came to shove to dip a toe in the water.

Actually, I think I'm equally as put off by having to accept PayPal from eBay strangers, but again, these are guitars just sitting there, not giving me any money from them anyway.

Packaging material duly ordered and many thanks for that advice.
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    I know this is a bit of a blast from the past, but I've just found this and want to say thanks for the advice. I'm really, REALLY not keen on posting guitars, and happily have never had to, being quite content to drive hunderds of miles to pick guitars up and also drop them off.

However, I have a couple of guitars that aren't of too much value that haven't really moved here or on eBay, and I suspect that lack of delivery might be the key. I've read horror stories of things being damaged, so I reckon I can afford to 'lose' the money if push came to shove to dip a toe in the water.

Actually, I think I'm equally as put off by having to accept PayPal from eBay strangers, but again, these are guitars just sitting there, not giving me any money from them anyway.

Packaging material duly ordered and many thanks for that advice.

Honestly mate I used to be the same - always said collection only (or offered to drive reasonable distances) but, especially on here, that's not likely to get you very far (no pun intended).

I've shipped 3 guitars (soon 4) in the past year and received 3, and it's all gone well. Hell, I've received guitars via Parcelforce and everything was good. The only one where I really bricked it was sending my SG (even though it was in a hard case, in a double-walled box) because of all the horror stories of snapped headstocks from impact. Went A-OK.

It really is all in the packaging, and choosing good couriers (I used to do UPS exclusively, now sending my 2nd guitar via APC). Especially for anything bolt-on, I don't think there's too much to worry about if it's carefully packed (i.e. lack of movement of the guitar in the case/bag, and then inside the box).
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    Yes, it's worth a go, I think. I must have driven maybe two thousand miles to drop off guitars within the last couple of months, but it did have its advantages. I met some absolutely brilliant folks from the forum and probably dropped off about £25,000 worth of stuff. Bought a few, of course!

I'd happily do that again - in fact, I enjoy it and will definitely do it again - but with the cheaper stuff, particularly on eBay, then I think it's worth a go.
    Call me Dave.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654
    edited December 2020
    Having received a guitar from @MikeS, I can first hand vouch it was packed exceptionally well - even down to friendly message to the courier requesting they handle with care.

On a separate occasion I watched the DPD driver stand a guitar box on its end, which then in slow motion toppled over. When I said WTF, he said - ‘don’t worry we do that all the time‘ - so you cannot legislate the behaviour of the delivery guys.

Which is why I quite like G4M and PMT if I am taking an online punt, as they will organise return courier for a nominal £6 a £10 fee - which given the costs for insured couriers is very good value (and sans stress or worry).
  • Which is why I quite like G4M and PMT if I am taking an online punt, as they will organise return courier for a nominal £6 a £10 fee - which given the costs for insured couriers is very good value (and sans stress or worry).
    I guess so but, in the event of the guitar being returned to the shop arriving with a broken headstock, how quickly will the box shifters return your money? Are you certain that they even take responsibility for the safe return of the item as opposed to just offer a low cost shipping option courtesy of a deal with their couriers?
  • Which is why I quite like G4M and PMT if I am taking an online punt, as they will organise return courier for a nominal £6 a £10 fee - which given the costs for insured couriers is very good value (and sans stress or worry).
    I guess so but, in the event of the guitar being returned to the shop arriving with a broken headstock, how quickly will the box shifters return your money? Are you certain that they even take responsibility for the safe return of the item as opposed to just offer a low cost shipping option courtesy of a deal with their couriers?
    Hmm - I have never even contemplated this - assuming that if something did happen en route that they would be liable having organised the courier side.

It’s an interesting thought - one I will ask them if or when I buy again.
    Just a word of thanks for the advice - posted a guitar for the first time yesterday. It was a Washburn that I'd had on sale for a while, and the only real interest, although it's a nice guitar, came from a chap on eBay. Anyway, he bought it.

Took the plunge and posted it following a lot of the advice and popped a couple of sets of spare strings in it, in case he fancied experimenting with strings over Christmas. Detuned it, packed it well, etc and used UPS.

I didn't have a UPS shipping bag for the address to go in, but clear clinfilm plus packing time was deemed good enough. Insured for £1000, next day guaranteed delivery, it was picked up from mine at 2pm yesterday, tracked, and delivered at about 9.30am this morning.

It was pretty easy, so thanks for the advice. I'd still prefer not post more expensive stuff, but that's really down to the potential of being messed around be the buyer, rather than an issue with UPS, who were great.

Someone tried to scam me for an amp this week, also sold via eBay, but luckily I send everything guaranteed next day delivery and tracked, so that didn't quite work out for them.

I think it was one of those guitars that I would have had a little trouble selling for a reasonable price if I hadn't have offered posting - and all for under £20 - so that was really instumental (if you pardon the pun) in helping sell it.

Thanks again.
    Call me Dave.
    @DB1 ah! that's brilliant. Glad to hear it went well. That'll be you now. Now that you've tried it, you might treat yourself to a new guitar more often, safe in the knowledge that you have another option if you choose to flip.  ;)