SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - sub £130 electric guitar for newbie

What's Hot
Cousin in law needs a first electric, I was gonna suggest a harley benton, but I thought I would try on here to see if there was anybody with a cheap but decent guitar to start on.

I like harley bentons as they are cheap, but with a propper set up they are incredible for the money. Most important point is that it is easy to play. 

shape/style wise he is open to everything, he doesn't even have a particular style he wants to play - so nothing too niche, or that might be for only metal for instance.

Based in Maldon - Essex but happy to pay postage
I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Squier Bullets worth a look if you want new, they are superb VFM, and there are Strats, Teles and Mustangs
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’ve got a Lag Roxane going spare. Pretty good spec for the price, EMG H4A/H3A passive alnico5 pickups, individually coil tappable with push-pull pots, roller bridge string through body, decent tuners. Plays very nicely indeed. I can do £125 including delivery.

https://i.imgur.com/5zxoZeb.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Maynehead said:
    I’ve got a Lag Roxane going spare. Pretty good spec for the price, EMG H4A/H3A passive alnico5 pickups, individually coil tappable with push-pull pots, roller bridge string through body, decent tuners. Plays very nicely indeed. I can do £125 including delivery.

https://i.imgur.com/5zxoZeb.jpg
    I have sent this to him, this looks great!
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Mkjackary said:
    Maynehead said:
    I have sent this to him, this looks great!
    That looks lovely, wonderful potential first guitar!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    I've got one just like this, with pickup upgrades (Fender singles, and a Gibson humbucker). It's a nice guitar.

R.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Yeah, just playing it now and it genuinely is lovely to play. Normally budget guitars scrimp on the fretwork but the frets on this are great. Nicely levelled and smooth fret ends, I’ve set this up with my preferred low action and there’s no fret buzz anywhere.

I’ve no idea why these go for so little...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 121
    Mkjackary said:
    Cousin in law needs a first electric, I was gonna suggest a harley benton, but I thought I would try on here to see if there was anybody with a cheap but decent guitar to start on.

I like harley bentons as they are cheap, but with a propper set up they are incredible for the money. Most important point is that it is easy to play. 

shape/style wise he is open to everything, he doesn't even have a particular style he wants to play - so nothing too niche, or that might be for only metal for instance.

I have an Epiphone SG Special which I modded heavily, with 4 push-pull pots (Alpha), Orange drop caps, Wilkinson lock-in tuners (19:1), Vanson '57 (AlNiCo II) Humbuckers, and I have an Epiphone SG hard case too. I was thinking of putting it on Ebay for about £200 all in. If of any use.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1358
    Amigo said:
    Mkjackary said:

I have an Epiphone SG Special which I modded heavily, with 4 push-pull pots (Alpha), Orange drop caps, Wilkinson lock-in tuners (19:1), Vanson '57 (AlNiCo II) Humbuckers, and I have an Epiphone SG hard case too. I was thinking of putting it on Ebay for about £200 all in. If of any use.
    think £130 was his top price
    read title
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2348
    edited June 2019
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 121
    mark123 said:

think £130 was his top price
    read title
    Quite, and I should have mentioned that the price of the hard case is the difference, give or take.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Squire 51
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I got this HB paradise flame for £130

Stock apart from changed knobs (still have the org silver one) + a satin neck mod

or this Shine SL-510 for £100 (also has a satin neck mod)

Im Midlands based so you'ed have to pick a shipper,shout if you want more info/pics

Both are great guitars in pretty much as new condtion and punch well above their weight (id say the HB counld do with some locking tunners if using the trem a lot) 

Both of these were impluse buys over time when my dad ordered one of each for himself,i just cant get on with TOM's and anything less than a Floyd for a trem feel like it might break off in my hand ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom