NGD - it's only taken a year ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1231
    As someone who does not generally like LP Jr's, I actually like yours. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2385
    tFB Trader
    @TTony  ; I have no idea how any one managed to get hold of 1 of my low neck angled LPJ DC’s. I made a small batch of these for trade customer who wanted to use none dog eared P90’s, he was also going to rout the bridge into the body. The only explanation I have I did make extras which the customer did take most of, I can only think one of low neck angled one's got mixed up with the standards. if the original customer I told me there was a problem I would have obviously replaced the guitar.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:
    @TTony  ;

I have no idea how any one managed to get hold of 1 of my low neck angled LPJ DC’s. I made a small batch of these for trade customer who wanted to use none dog eared P90’s, he was also going to rout the bridge into the body. The only explanation I have I did make extras which the customer did take most of, I can only think one of low neck angled one's got mixed up with the standards. if the original customer I told me there was a problem I would have obviously replaced the guitar.
    That makes sense if you designed it that way, anyway came out well 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    HI Graham @GSPBASSES ;

I'm guessing that's perhaps why the guy (who I bought it from) sold it on - perhaps he'd tried to put it together and then realised the  low angle / bridge issue!?

It seemed a bit odd that he'd gone to all the trouble of spraying it, and then rubbing it back again, only to sell it.  But I wasn't complaining at getting my hands on another of your carcasses!

I scratched my head for a little while, but the easiest option was to put a soapbar P90 in it rather than the dogear that I'd bought, and push the bridge studs 5mm into the body.  The bridge now sits about a quarter turn off the top of the body and playability is fine.  The dogear wouldn't fit under the strings, so that's in a drawer for another build on another day.

With the bridge right on the body (ie the quarter turn lower), the strings are too low and there's string / fret buzz, so it's perfectly low enough now.

Good to understand how it came to be though
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28419
    rexter said:
    Answering for Tony on this one @poopot so apologies, but the previous owner had managed sand off the edges of the fretboard at the join with a ROS when stripping the guitar by the looks of it  :# unless it's some new kind of super comfort contour!

This body and neck was so light it blew me away. Great work by @GSPBASSES as ever
    It really is an excellent spray job Jon @Rexter, and exactly what I asked you to do, so I'm Mr V Happy!

I'd also assumed that the previous owner had accidentally sanded the end of the fretboard when he'd removed the previous finish, but it's not an issue other than looking a little unusual.

Fully put together it weighs 5lbs 12oz.  That's beautifully light!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25004
    Looks great, and nice workaround with the low bridge.  The finish actually looks very similar to a couple of Edwards Jrs I had years ago.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It is a very nice paint job. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    TTony said:
    HI Graham @GSPBASSES ;

I'm guessing that's perhaps why the guy (who I bought it from) sold it on - perhaps he'd tried to put it together and then realised the  low angle / bridge issue!?

It seemed a bit odd that he'd gone to all the trouble of spraying it, and then rubbing it back again, only to sell it.  But I wasn't complaining at getting my hands on another of your carcasses!

I scratched my head for a little while, but the easiest option was to put a soapbar P90 in it rather than the dogear that I'd bought, and push the bridge studs 5mm into the body.  The bridge now sits about a quarter turn off the top of the body and playability is fine.  The dogear wouldn't fit under the strings, so that's in a drawer for another build on another day.

With the bridge right on the body (ie the quarter turn lower), the strings are too low and there's string / fret buzz, so it's perfectly low enough now.

Good to understand how it came to be though
    :)
    I think Jooky ended up with one of the low neck angle ones as well. If memory serves he sprayed it metal flake purple and stuck a gold foil in it. Standard really.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    TTony said:
    Sometime last summer, when the sun was shining and the roads were  melting, I bought a guitar from a man on a street corner.

I really can't remember who it was (sorry!), but it was someone here.  The guitar was (is?) a GSP LP Jr, that the seller had decided wasn't for him for whatever reason, so he'd sprayed it, unsprayed it, and decided to move it on.

It even came in a handy little case ...

With plenty of experience of Graham's work, and a liking for simple things, I decided to spend some money and get this one done properly, so  off it went to @Rexter for some spraying ...

That was sometime late last summer.

And then life threw a curveball or two or three (including some shit-filled exploding ones) in our direction, and all things guitar  - and forum, and most  other non-essentials - came to a grinding halt.     Coming out the other side of those now, so it seems fitting that this is also emerging from the darkness of my dusty workshop.

I'd asked Jon to do a  *thin* coat.  I wanted to see and feel the grain of the wood, rather than having it smothered under layers of paint.  And that's just what he did - perfectly.

That last pic really shows the finish beautifully - it's that thin.    I'm expecting, with a bit of playing, it'll start to naturally wear through in places ...

Also, if you look at the bridge, you might be thinking "that's low". 

It is.  In fact, the bridge post inserts are "counter-sunk" into the body by about 5mm so that I could get the bridge low enough  to get the action down low too.  That 5mm made all the difference, and, after sorting the nut and truss rod too, this is now a beautiful player.  Not sure what bridge was originally intended for this, because that's one of the lowest profile wraparounds I could find, and it was too high for the set neck angle.

I had bought a dogear P90 for this,  but that sat too high on top of the body, so that'll go onto something else another day. The pickup I used is one of BKP's  True Grit boot camp units, which - so far - sounds pretty bargaintastic.

I was surprised at how good the intonation is.  Who needs individual saddles!

That's right - no pickguard.  I don't like them, but thought I'd probably need to put one on this to hide the neck join.  But somehow Jon managed to do a thin coat with enough depth to hide the join, so no  horrible piece of cheap black plastic required.

So, it's taken about a year since that street corner meeting in the City heat of last summer, but this is now done.

Might have to do another now.
    Yep, Bloody lovely! :)