ear irrigation

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15954

in my 50s and just had both ears "syringed" today for the 1st time. What a dawdle..."here, hold this container under your ear"

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr        Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

I can hear again, aren't the BEATLES great?

tae be or not tae be
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Did you go to the doc's to get it done, or somewhere else?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15954

nurse at the local Doctors surgery did both ears, painlessly in under 3/4 mins

usually a Doc will refer you to his surgery nurse AFTER he has checked that you don't have any serious shit going on wae your lugs

tae be or not tae be
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    I suffer this fun every few years.  There are three distinctly different techniques, the big "horse syringe" metod is by far the most tolerable.  Most surgeries now use a little machine that squirts pulse in the ear - which can easily leave you dizzy and motion sick.  The last is a sucker machine they use in hospitals; by far the quickest and least messy, but sounds like standing at the business end of a combat jet on full reheat (Motorhead pah!).

My most recent experience was last Tuesday.  The lady got a bit over zealous and overflowed the bowl, which ran water down my tie ( I work!), which pooled in the chair, then ran down the inside of my leg to fill my right shoe.  A lovely afternoon.  Took some explaining back at the office...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I'll do it for cheaper.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic said:
    I'll do it for cheaper.
    that's neither a syringe, or water
    ;)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited August 2013
    mike_l said:
    octatonic said:
    I'll do it for cheaper.
    that's neither a syringe, or water
    ;)
    Still works though.
    Sorta.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    I have very waxy ears, and I used to get them syringed by the nurse at my GP's office - they've changed the rules so much now that it's actually pointless even trying to get an appointment. It used to be that they'd ask you to apply oil for a couple of days and then come back. That's gradually increased so that now they treat the first day you turn up as the opportunity to say "use oil for another 10 fucking days and then come back". Yeah, sure - I'm going to sit here deaf for almost two weeks for no good fucking reason.

Now I just put Earex in, leave it for 10 minutes fizzing away, then blast it with warm water from a 10ml syringe (small so that I can't generate enough force to do any damage). Works perfectly every time.

NOTE: If you plan on doing this yourself, make sure the water is *warm*. Cold water blasted into your ears like that will leave you dizzy, shaking and feeling sick. Learn from my experience, gentlemen.
    <space for hire>
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    I do mine myself for the same reason.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2013
    "Some people quite like it", said the nurse as she stuck the equivalent of a water-blasting road drill in my lug hole. Bollocks, they do.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15954
    edited August 2013

this wasn't a syringe as such, it was a warm water irrigation machine gun thingy

I tried earex for a coupla weeks and then olive oil for a further coupla weeks,deaf as a post as a result, couldnae hear FA

the 1st words I heard in weeks was the little Scottish beauty of a nurse sayin'....."it came oot in a wanner"

tae be or not tae be
    Same thing, but it was a very unpleasant experience for me. I had to go back again the next day because she couldn't shift the blockage the first time. It was like someone pulse-pissing in your ear.

• fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180

NOTE: If you plan on doing this yourself, make sure the water is *warm*. Cold water blasted into your ears like that will leave you dizzy, shaking and feeling sick. Learn from my experience, gentlemen.
    And we have a new item for Emp's to-do list, preferably with water that came up with the boat, "but it's natural, it must be healthy."
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    Same thing, but it was a very unpleasant experience for me. I had to go back again the next day because she couldn't shift the blockage the first time. It was like someone pulse-pissing in your ear.
    and you are able to make the comparison?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I used to gig with a bass player who was deaf in one ear - 'cos (allegedly) someone screwed up while syringing his ears as a kid. I don't think I'd let anyone put anything in my ears
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Earrigation?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    So I guess this isn't an uncommon affliction.

Anyone found a prevention technique (that works!)?

Not sure that standing in front of a cranked Marshall Major would count (rather defeated the object).
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    So I guess this isn't an uncommon affliction.

Anyone found a prevention technique (that works!)?

Not sure that standing in front of a cranked Marshall Major would count (rather defeated the object).
    Not really, other than syringing them yourself regularly. For the last year I've used the aforementioned technique once a month, and I haven't even come close to having blocked ears.
    <space for hire>
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

Perhaps we should have a medical complains corner?

Or Perhaps not!

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    ROOG said:

Perhaps we should have a medical complains corner?

Or Perhaps not!

technically, we have a talk about guitars corner on a forum where we mostly talk about medical complaints. Fair enough, most of the complaints are from emp, but you can't have everything.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

I remember being told that the smallest thing you should put in your ear is your elbow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom