Jacob Collier Tiny Desk Concert

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Redlester said:
    overcomplicated and fiddly for the sake of it
    That's been my assessment too.

It's like the jazz harmony version of those R&B singers on X Factor who can't just hold a note without going all Mariah Carey. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31486
    When I was a kid Cleo Laine used to appear on TV shows like Blue Peter as the kind of BBC house jazzer, and I never knew where to look when she was doing that thing with her face but it certainly wasn't at the TV. 

Yeah, that. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26894
    edited July 2020
    He is still incredible and I still don't enjoy it on any level. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited July 2020
    Ahhh, it's just clicked that that guy is this guy and suddenly things make more sense. 

Clearly a fantastic musical mind but not the sort of thing I would choose to listen to. Might be better without seeing it at the same time - there's something about the facial expressions in this sort of thing (whatever that means in this context - I honestly don't know how describe it any better - post-jazz-ish?) that always irritates me for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRkgK4jfi6M 

the bit at 6:35 onwards made me cry with joy.

and 8:00 - 8:20. Brilliant.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Ahhh, it's just clicked that that guy is this guy and suddenly things make more sense. 

Clearly a fantastic musical mind but not the sort of thing I would choose to listen to. Might be better without seeing it at the same time - there's something about the facial expressions in this sort of thing (whatever that means in this context - I honestly don't know how describe it any better - post-jazz-ish?) that always irritates me for some reason.

I reckon that bit at 6:35 is musically the literal polar opposite of The Ramones. I make no judgement as to which is better :D 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Clever guy and clearly very talented, but I do also find him rather annoying. Some of his stuff I really like and others I have to switch off. This one I stopped.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    viz said:

I reckon that bit at 6:35 is musically the literal polar opposite of The Ramones. I make no judgement as to which is better :D 

I think there comes a point where music only consisting of the I IV and V gets a bit boring.

I can see why Jacob Collier gets on some peoples nerves, but I think if you look at it as someone playing and experimenting with harmony and taking joy in the result then it becomes more enjoyable.
    @monquixote to be fair I don’t like the Ramones for anything more than 2:30 chunks. 

I totally get the love for Collier - he's clearly brilliant - it just leaves me flat on an emotional level.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    to be fair I don’t like the Ramones for anything more than 2:30 chunks. 
    Why do you think their songs are so short? ;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

tFB Trader
    What I find interesting is that my kids who have no idea that it's music that sounds like "Showing off" and thus must be "soulless" love Jacob Collier and Dirty Loops more than and other music I play.

My 2 year old demands "Rock You" by Dirty Loops more than Baby Shark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited July 2020
    It's interesting, it feels like a lot of those emerging talents from american jazz schools are overskilled instrumentalists but lack a deep connection with the soulful part of music. Like engineers rather than philosophers. 

I find him too music schooly for me like many other from the current generation. 

Great musicians playing not great (arguably bad) music.
    What I find interesting is that my kids who have no idea that it's music that sounds like "Showing off" and thus must be "soulless" love Jacob Collier and Dirty Loops more than and other music I play.

My 2 year old demands "Rock You" by Dirty Loops more than Baby Shark.
    Well that’s certainly a win - no argument from me!!
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Actually I’d love to hear Jacob Collier cover the Ramones, if only for the Radio 4 ‘one song to the tune of another’ vibe that’d ensue. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    althy said:
    It's interesting, it feels like a lot of those emerging talents from american jazz schools are overskilled instrumentalists but lack a deep connection with the soulful part of music. Like engineers rather than philosophers. 

I find him too music schooly for me like many other from the current generation. 

Great musicians playing not great (arguably bad) music.
    I know what you mean, but I often find a similar frustration with artists that take their supposed "soul" and "meaning" in their music far too seriously, especially when often then are thrashing out quaver beat palm muted power chords through what sounds like a white noise generator. That might be their "emotion" but it doesn't negate less shockingly intense emotions necessarily. I find that sincerity is as important as supposed depth, as then who's to say that the personality behind the music (or is being portrayed by the music) isn't light hearted or relaxed or whatever. I'd rather a sincere chilled out music sound like this than people sounding like the Batman song from The Lego Movie then chatting away about sunburst PRS finishes and their least favourite avocado dish :)

It's just horses for courses isn't it. I like Collier, as a piano player myself primarily it's a joy to watch somebody lose themselves in it.

Oh and just because i named dropped it but others might not be as familiar as me with the Lego Movie soundtrack, here's the Batman song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    It's so tiring to hear people dismiss music as soulless because it is richer or more complex compared to what they listen to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    Branshen said:
    It's so tiring to hear people dismiss music as soulless because it is richer or more complex compared to what they listen to. 
    I agree - nothing necessarily better or worse, just different. This guy fascinates me from a pianist-who-plays-other-instruments kind of angle
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Branshen said:
    I agree - nothing necessarily better or worse, just different. This guy fascinates me from a pianist-who-plays-other-instruments kind of angle
    I've heard people compare his piano playing to Keith Jarrett, who gives me similar vibes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyntl24zkZs
    tFB Trader
    Branshen said:

Yep. I think you can criticise it for being show offy or overly complex, but you can't criticise it for feel.

The way he plays those slightly drunk sounding slow drum grooves is insanely hard to do. It's the exact opposite of the guy shredding diminished scales over a constant drum machine groove.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited August 2020
    Branshen said:

I personally used the term soulful because the sound Collier goes for is very sterile to my ears. The complexity of the music doesn't strike me with him.
    I am paying attention to the taste, the aesthetics,  which remind me of the worst part of Metheny group's catalogue ( with the cringe worthy vocals) or Meshell Ndgeocello type of sound or snarky puppies and the likes..

Messiaen makes me think of complex. Collier and the scene I am critical of make me think of too much and not enough.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    For me Jacob is always better with the video turned off, he tries too hard to be eccentric with the exaggerated mannerisms and stupid clothes. Undeniably a fantastic musical talent though, he reminds me of Lewis Taylor a bit.