Composition Challenge #27 - Chat

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
edited October 2019 in Making Music
COMPOSITION CHALLENGE 27
Time for round #27 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
The idea for this theme comes from @Fretwired in his post on July 25 at the link below:
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/160505/voting-for-composition-challenge-26#latest

The theme for this one is: "A track with only guitar on it - you can use multiple guitars (bass, electric and acoustic) but no drums or keyboards or brass. So it could be an acoustic guitar piece or a multi-guitar piece - you could create a rhythm by banging your guitar. You can use as many guitar effects as you like but no guitar synths".

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory but, as a small incentive, those that provide a picture will be awarded a free point to add to their voting score. Note the picture can be anything from a hand drawn sketch, photo, photo edit or something generated in a graphics package.

DATES AND VOTING
Fretboard Challenge #27 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 14th November 2019
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

The entries so far are in the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/composition-challenge-27

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    We allowed vocals? (Vocoded guitar obvs)
  • poopot said:
    That's tricky. Is something like a Boss VO 1 possibly in the category of a guitar synth? What does @Fretwired think?

Of course, as with all the composition challenges, you could choose to break the rules. But it might lose votes from some people.

It's not a competition.
    poopot said:
    That's tricky. Is something like a Boss VO 1 possibly in the category of a guitar synth? What does @Fretwired think?

Of course, as with all the composition challenges, you could choose to break the rules. But it might lose votes from some people.

Ahh no, I have the EHX iron lung, it changes the
    pitch of the vocal depending on the notes you play!... think daft punk more than frampton!.
  • poopot said:
    poopot said:

pitch of the vocal depending on the notes you play!... think daft punk more than frampton!.

I checked and it seems more like a voice box than a synth to me. So I'm OK with it, unless anyone else objects.

It's not a competition.
    poopot said:
    poopot said:

I checked and it seems more like a voice box than a synth to me. So I'm OK with it, unless anyone else objects.

I used it on the chorus of the last comp challenge if you want to hear the effect!.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I didn't think about vocals but yes I think you can use vocals so long as the Boss ( @stratman3142 ; ) agrees .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Should be an interesting one, no idea if I'll have time to take part (par for the course for little old snowflake me) but should be interesting to listen.

I think i know roughly what style I'd like to do if I get chance but where that goes, who knows
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    What about midi guitar? I have a midi input on my Boss 001 and (in theory) could use my guitar for (very poor) drums (because I'm not that bearded guy who does the amazing demos) 
  • What about midi guitar? I have a midi input on my Boss 001 and (in theory) could use my guitar for (very poor) drums (because I'm not that bearded guy who does the amazing demos) 

I think midi guitar to trigger other sounds falls in the category of a guitar synth.

It's not a competition.
    I had drums without using midi or anything other than a stringed instrument ;)
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Ooh, if vocals were to be allowed, I’ve got a track ‘that I made earlier’ ready to go.......
  • BahHumbug said:
    Ooh, if vocals were to be allowed, I’ve got a track ‘that I made earlier’ ready to go.......

OK. I suppose vocals are OK.  But all the other sounds should have guitar or bass (not midi driven) as their source.

This theme is proving to be trickier than I thought. I suppose someone is now going to ask whether the drums/percussion can be created using vocals :)

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    No worries @stratman3142 ;
    Can always use an acoustic for drums if need be
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    This one should be right up my street!  Unfortunately my hand is knackered, saw the doc and nothing permanent (thankfully) but I'm not allowed (really) to play for 6 weeks.

We'll see … maybe I can do something on slide.
  • I think i've got a track already recorded, all i have to do is remove the drums, keyboards, the fake bass, triangle, gong and chanting monk samples and im nearly there. All i have to do is add some guitar. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think i've got a track already recorded, all i have to do is remove the drums, keyboards, the fake bass, triangle, gong and chanting monk samples and im nearly there. All i have to do is add some guitar. :)
    Is it entitled "Variations on a theme of Trigger's Broom"?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DeeplyDazzledDeeplyDazzled Frets: 10
    edited August 2019
    Hang on, let me Google what "Trigger's Broom" actually means before i say yes.
    LOL, now i understand.
    When I've added some guitar to the track I've already recorded i will include "Trigger's Broom" in the title.

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Right, I’ve decided that the track I had prepared earlier is going to be a banker.  Plenty of time to the deadline, so I’ve started on something new for the challenge.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I've created some sampled "drums" by banging, knocking, clunking and pinging my guitars... (and then compressing, EQing, repitching and mangling the sounds produced). Based on the first post I thought that this was allowed, but I'm not so sure now :)

I was then going to write some MIDI to trigger my "guitar drum" samples. Yay or nay?
  • oaf said:
    I've created some sampled "drums" by banging, knocking, clunking and pinging my guitars... (and then compressing, EQing, repitching and mangling the sounds produced). Based on the first post I thought that this was allowed, but I'm not so sure now :)

I was then going to write some MIDI to trigger my "guitar drum" samples. Yay or nay?

This one is proving more tricky than I thought. 

I think using real time guitar effects is OK but mangling of files (post recording) and triggering things with midi is pushing it a bit. For example, I'm pretty sure I could create a fairly convincing drum sound by sampling guitar sounds and using a sampler such as NI Kontakt, but I would choose not to do that.

However, having said that, it's difficult to know where to draw the line.

I think everyone should be open and honest about how they've created their tracks. Then (when it comes to the voting) individual voters can decide how they vote. My voting will take account of how close people have stayed to the original brief - but that will just be my opinion. Other voters may have different opinions. 

In summary, I guess you can do what you like (provided you're honest about how you've created the track), but you run the risk of losing votes if individual voters deem you've pushed the rules too far.

It's not a competition.