Killswitch Engage - Atonement

What's Hot
Hi guys,

Killswitch Engage's new album 'Atonement' is out this Friday, who's looking forward to it? I did an album review today, would be cool to hear what people think:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Will watch This tomorrow, ta.

Very much looking forward to it. I Am Broken Too gets me right in the feels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve said:
    Will watch This tomorrow, ta.

Very much looking forward to it. I Am Broken Too gets me right in the feels.
    No problem, let me know your thoughts when you do. 

Yeah for sure, especially when the official music video came out ❤️
  • New Tool, Slipknot & Killswitch. It's a GOOD month to be a headbanger! 

I'll watch the review once I've heard the album- I like to give things a run for myself first. 
  • New Tool, Slipknot & Killswitch. It's a GOOD month to be a headbanger! 

I'll watch the review once I've heard the album- I like to give things a run for myself first. 
    Definitely, and then Korn and As I Lay Dying next month too, really good period for metal. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    edited August 2019
    I'm enjoying the new Killswitch album, which might not be as distinguished as their first few albums but it's still very good nonetheless. 

metalmohan said: 

Definitely, and then Korn and As I Lay Dying next month too, really good period for metal. 
    A bit more leftfield, but one of the new Batushka lps (Panihda) is very good, and I'll give the politics a miss but the preview track from the new Mgla album seems very good indeed.  Other metal albums released this year I've liked include the new Sunn O))) one, Torche and Big Business.  Only real disappointment is Baroness, a real mess of an album. 

IMO, the last 10 years or so have been a golden era for heavy music.  
  • Honestly, this album is album of the year contender for me, it's that good. Some of their heaviest and melodic material all in one, love it. 
    Honestly, this album is album of the year contender for me, it's that good. Some of their heaviest and melodic material all in one, love it. 
    I've listened to nothing else since Friday (well, since Monday technically, as I was busy becoming an Ironman at the weekend ;)

It's really, really fucking good. A vast improvement on Incarnate, which was *ok* but definitely a step back after Jesse's comeback on Disarm the Descent. 

The Signal Fire might be one of their best songs to date - especially with the accompanying video. I got actual goosebumps watching it for the first time - it's perfectly done. Howard's vocals are even better than they were when he was with the band, if that's even possible. Does make me miss him a lot, but then I remember that Jesse is great too. :) 

I Can't Be the Only One is about as anthemic as they come. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    joneve said:

It's really, really fucking good. A vast improvement on Incarnate, which was *ok* but definitely a step back after Jesse's comeback on Disarm the Descent. 

The Signal Fire might be one of their best songs to date - especially with the accompanying video. I got actual goosebumps watching it for the first time - it's perfectly done. Howard's vocals are even better than they were when he was with the band, if that's even possible. Does make me miss him a lot, but then I remember that Jesse is great too. :) 

I Can't Be the Only One is about as anthemic as they come. 
    Pretty much agree with your entire post. 

Not much to add but I think something in it's favour it's fairly concise, just under 40 minutes, there's not much filler.  
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

Listening to it now. Was a big fan back in the day, but haven't listened to them since the self titled album where I thought they had become a bit formulaic.

Thought I'd give the new album a listen after reading this thread, and I'm really liking it. 

Definitely seem to have a bit of fire back in their bellies. 

Thanks for posting @metalmohan

I wouldn't even have known they had a new record out without seeing here.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Listening to it now. Was a big fan back in the day, but haven't listened to them since the self titled album where I thought they had become a bit formulaic.

Thought I'd give the new album a listen after reading this thread, and I'm really liking it. 

Definitely seem to have a bit of fire back in their bellies. 

Thanks for posting @metalmohan

I wouldn't even have known they had a new record out without seeing here.

It's worth noting, that the band themselves actually dislike that album. They were all (and howard particularly) in a dark place during the recording, and they don't rate it at all. 

I would certainly dig out DISARM THE DESCENT, which was the first album with Jesse back on Vocals. Whilst End of Heartache is probably their best album overall, DtD is a close second to me. Absolute bangers all the way through. Incarnate was a bit weaker, but Atonement is a return to form. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

I thought I'd read that about the band not liking it somewhere @joneve ;

This new record is the first I've listened to since Jesse returned but I'll definitely give the other two a listen. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 

I thought I'd read that about the band not liking it somewhere @joneve ;

This new record is the first I've listened to since Jesse returned but I'll definitely give the other two a listen. 

If you don't like Disarm the Descent, I will eat my hat. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Because necrobumps are all the rage now.

For some reason this band had passed me by so I'm just getting into them.

Huge, love it!
  • Alive or Just Breathing...killer album. End of Heartache has a few decent tracks too but I always go back to their second album. 
    edited April 2021
    Alive or Just Breathing...killer album. End of Heartache has a few decent tracks too but I always go back to their second album. 
    End of Heartache was their second album, technically. They never really recognise their first self-titled as an album, more a longer EP.. 

monquixote said:
    Because necrobumps are all the rage now.

For some reason this band had passed me by so I'm just getting into them.

Huge, love it!
    If you like Atonement, you’re in for a treat, it’s not even close to their best work. 

My order of aceness would be;

1. Disarm the Descent (first album after their original singer re-joined the band). It’s perfect. Not a Bad track

2. end of heartache. Probably the most commercial, and their first album with their new singer after Jesse left. Again, it’s brilliant from start to finish. 

3. Alive or Just Breathing - first major ‘debut’ release. Another near perfect album

4. As Daylight Dies - second album with Howard (replacement singer)

5. Atonement

6. Incarnate

7. Killswitch engage - the full album self titled they did with Howard. None of the band were in a good place and it shows. Only really 2 or 3 tracks on it worth being on there 

if you like KsE, check out Times of Grace. It was a side project of Jesse (singer) and Adam (guitarist). It’s epic.