tiny solid state amp head

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So, I want a small solid state head that i can use with a cab, but also with headphones.

I could get a valve head, but i want solid state so that I can run it without connecting up to cab.

I've been looking at Micro Terror, but hear the headphones aren't great, but then i remembered the Crate Powerblock, and it has simulated headphone output.

Has anyone played one of these...i've read mixed reviews

i would use it clean and as pedal platform...a lot of the time with headphones.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    One if these may suit, they are tiny, and sound pretty good from the various clips.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    Not quite released yet and maybe a bit more complex than you're after? Look neat, though....

http://bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

• Does it need to have a preamp and power amp, or would seperates work?

Seperates - an EHXTortion or an AMT series 2 pedal, and an ISP Stealth?

All in one, there is a Randall one maybe?
  • Not quite released yet and maybe a bit more complex than you're after? Look neat, though....

http://bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

Wooooooow....
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    These are all good options...i do want something simple that i can still use my pedals with. That hotones look good, gotta check out reviews of the headphone quality.
  • Blackstar ID Core?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

If you really wanted a valve PA stage the Blackstar HT series can run as a pre amp and give you both a "clean feed" from the FX out or an emulated output.

Ah! Just seen "headphones"! Got to be the HT-5 then. OR! as you were and a 20quid Behringer headphone amp? Then you could hook in  3 mates!

Dave.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    I've got one of these which I don't use much any more:

Great sound through a "proper" cab. Awesome Marshall crunch sounds.

PM me if interested.

R.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    ZT Lunchbox? Not just a head, but just as small and a handy thing to have around.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1089
    Blackstar HT1R - I use one as a preamp all the time. Same output takes headphones - quarter inch jack.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    samzadgan said:
    So, I want a small solid state head that i can use with a cab, but also with headphones.

I could get a valve head, but i want solid state so that I can run it without connecting up to cab.

I've been looking at Micro Terror, but hear the headphones aren't great, but then i remembered the Crate Powerblock, and it has simulated headphone output.
    Avoid the Crate. They sound terrible - through a cab as well - and are unreliable. Personally I also think the Micro Terror sounds terrible too, but I know some people like them.

Maybe try the Marshall MG15 head (which comes with the micro stack, not sure if you can buy it separately though) - they're surprisingly good and very cheap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    If you're quick you could enter the fretboard challenge #2 and win one of those little diago heads ( or did that finish already?)
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2348
    I thought my micro terror headphone output was harsh and tinny, until I tried a decent set of headphones on it now its just harsh but not tinny. what im saying is the headphones make a huge difference
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    I thought my micro terror headphone output was harsh and tinny, until I tried a decent set of headphones on it now its just harsh but not tinny. what im saying is the headphones make a huge difference
    lol

And true!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

so...headphone's is a big criteria as is being able to use it without a speaker load...so unfortunately no valve heads would work.

the little smasher is nice, if it had a headphone jack, that would be it!

thanks @ICBM, i like the idea of the little marshall head...but yeah it might be difficult to buy the head on its own...unless someone wants 2 1x12's and i can split the purchase!...but will keep an eye on that one.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    p90fool said:
    ZT Lunchbox? Not just a head, but just as small and a handy thing to have around.
    This.  They're great - can play through headphones, and have 200W ready if needed.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    i did find a few crate's on ebay, but they are all over £100…not sure i would want to spend that much on it.

Micro terror is cheaper…but the headphones issue is a big one. 

Still keeping an eye out for one of those marshall mg15 heads…but thats near impossible.

those hotones look ok…any experience with the headphone jacks?