SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

**Now SOLD***: 1989 MIK *Open book* Epiphone LP Standard + Upgrades Only £300

What's Hot
bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 271
edited November 2019 in Guitars £

1989 Epiphone LPs are kinda special. 89 was the ONLY year that Gibson allowed Epiphone to use a headstock design that bore a much closer resemblance to the “Open Book” headstock that Gibson’s are renowned for.

1989 Epiphone LPs were made in Korea and the build quality is widely agreed to be greatly superior to today’s Chinese built Epiphones and this one sports possibly the finest piece of rosewood for fretboard I’ve ever seen. That said, while a lot of care was taken with the build of the body, neck and hardware it’s fair to say they saved some of their budget on the electrics. In short, the pots were tiny and the pickups were rubbish and often microphonic. Yuck.

Happily, this LP has none of those issues. The entire harness has been upgraded and the humbuckers changed to a brushed nickel Tonerider Alnico II in the Neck and a zebra Axetec TeSLA SHark (Alnico II) in the Bridge as an homage to Jimmy Page and Slash both in tones and looks too. They sound fantastic and are a terrific pairing. Plus a set of locking tuners have been added to keep your tunings needs ship shape and your string changes simple.

Aside from some dings (see pics for the worst ones) - this is a THIRTY years old guitar after all - the guitar is in good condition. It’s not a crazy heavy LP either and weighs in at a relatively comfy 8lbs 6.

The frets are in great shape too (see pic) but for the sake of transparency I feel I do need to mention that there’s some buzz at the 17th fret on the D/4th string. I have no idea why that is but as my fingers rarely stray that high up the D string it’s not caused me any problems.

It’s also definitely worth mentioning that for Lord knows what reason Epiphone decided it’d be a genius idea to print the serial numbers on a bit of paper and glue them to the back of their 1989s’ headstocks. More often than not these bits of paper fell off. Which is precisely why there’s no serial number on the back of this guitar’s headstock. Bit of a learning curve for Epiphone that...#doh

I’m genuinely sorry to see this one go as it is a legit “riff writing machine” but an unexpected GAS purchase means it needs to find pastures new.

Gigbag NOW INCLUDED.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ji54zZg

Bit of a rushed YT demo now available:

https://youtu.be/1oMP5bTy9zA

PRICE DROP £310  £300 no trades* and I’m afraid this is collection only.

I’m based in Helensburgh but I’m often in the City Centre/West End of Glasgow or I can meet at any train station on the Helensburgh to Glasgow line.

Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments