NPD Walrus Audio Slo

What's Hot

Been gassing for a Julia and then a Lilian for months but didn’t take the plunge (ooer). Last week I decided what I need was a Slo and ordered form Andertons, based mainly on Rabea’s demo. I’ve been dabbling with ambient styles but not had much joy. This pedal is ambient in a box. Three types of reverb, huge trails and a lot of modulation makes for sumptuous sonics. The mix can be dialled back for subtle, of full wet for full on spaceyness. The modulation adds nice movement. The Dark setting adds a lower octave, like a choir underneath. The Rise setting does auto swells. The Dream setting can latch for a permanent pad. 

What makes this better than other reverb pedals I’ve owned is the extent you can shape the sound to your liking. With a new volume pedal for swells I’m getting the sound I’ve been after, and it’s very inspiring. Sounds good with an acoustic too. It’s not in stereo, but I’m just a pedals into one amp guy. 

Well I’m certainly impressed, it would be good to hear views of those who have tried other Walrus Audio pedals. I can see myself getting more. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    I got a Slo pretty much on release - absolutely wonderful pedal. I've got plenty of reverbs and delays for ambient stuff but this one does that lovely dreamy stuff. It's amazing how powerful the controls are, too, especially the Filter knob. I'd like them to do a really ambient delay too. I pair mine with a Fender Marine Layer which can do fantastic room and hall, plus incredible modulated Anne shimmer reverbs. Plus it can totally extend and open the sound. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm looking at options for my next reverb and this is high on the list. I use the reverb from my amp all the time and it's better than any generic FX so I want something that does long trails, wet and modulation. Looks ideal. 
    Fuengi said:
    I'm looking at options for my next reverb and this is high on the list. I use the reverb from my amp all the time and it's better than any generic FX so I want something that does long trails, wet and modulation. Looks ideal. 
    It's definitely different to any other reverb pedal I've used, and as an ambient sort I've been through quite a lot from yer Bosses to yer Caroline, Death by Audio etc. 

If the Slo ends up being too weird for you, honestly give the Fender Marine Layer a go - there's a wet/dry switch (just don't leave the wet switch on when the pedal's deactivated, it'll kill your signal!) and fantastic modulation, as well as loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong trails. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited September 2019

The Slo has got me the closest to Nick Mcabe's Holy Grail sound yet, such as this:

@joetele do you use the latching sustain on the Dream mode? When on, it seems you can only play a dry signal over it. It needs another pedal before it (you have the Marine Layer before the Slo?), or I've looped it with a looper pedal and then use the Slo as normal.  I'll try placing my Flint or EQD despatch master before the Slo.

• I really like the sound of these...

@MagicPigDetective - you are right, the Rabea vidoe is awesome;

The Slo has got me the closest to Nick Mcabe's Holy Grail sound yet, such as this:

@joetele do you use the latching sustain on the Dream mode? When on, it seems you can only play a dry signal over it. It needs another pedal before it (you have the Marine Layer before the Slo?), or I've looped it with a looper pedal and then use the Slo as normal.  I'll try placing my Flint or EQD despatch master before the Slo.

I do use the latching on dream mode, yeah - I've actually got the Marine Layer after it to widen the sound a bit but I'm tempted to try it beforehand. Also use a delay before and after too (Hardwire DL-8 and Danelectro Reel Echo respectively). But yeah, I also use the Ditto x2 looper sometimes or the DL-8 for a loop. I'd definitely put the Dispatch Master before but it might be fun to try after. Basically as many reverbs and delays as possible and play with the chain order ;) 
    edited September 2019
    joetele said:

I do use the latching on dream mode, yeah - I've actually got the Marine Layer after it to widen the sound a bit but I'm tempted to try it beforehand. Also use a delay before and after too (Hardwire DL-8 and Danelectro Reel Echo respectively). But yeah, I also use the Ditto x2 looper sometimes or the DL-8 for a loop. I'd definitely put the Dispatch Master before but it might be fun to try after. Basically as many reverbs and delays as possible and play with the chain order  

Sounds cool, I'll give it a go. On delays,  I also have a DOD Rubberneck, it's good but I’m not sure if it's dirty analogue sounds really suits ambeinty stuff, think I need something cleaner/digital. A DIG maybe.
    joetele said:

I do use the latching on dream mode, yeah - I've actually got the Marine Layer after it to widen the sound a bit but I'm tempted to try it beforehand. Also use a delay before and after too (Hardwire DL-8 and Danelectro Reel Echo respectively). But yeah, I also use the Ditto x2 looper sometimes or the DL-8 for a loop. I'd definitely put the Dispatch Master before but it might be fun to try after. Basically as many reverbs and delays as possible and play with the chain order  

Sounds cool, I'll give it a go. On delays,  I also have a DOD Rubberneck, it's good but I’m not sure if it's dirty analogue sounds really suits ambeinty stuff, think I need something cleaner/digital. A DIG maybe.

I've got my old Ibanez mini analog delay coming back to me - I do like using an analog delay on ambient stuff but you have to find the right 'space' for it, if you'll pardon the pun.

I'd quite like to get another Boss DSD-2 delay as that's my favourite digital delay I've heard (plus the sample function is good fun) - I'm mainly using the existing Hardwire DL-8 for tape delay and additional looping at the moment. It's kind of a jack of all trades, but a pretty decent one after moving on my old Digidelay. 
    After quite a bit of research I've gone for the OBNE Procession V2, got a used one coming from Thailand via Reverb. 

Looks like the Slo idea was based on this pedal with three modulaion settings. I believe there is also some staff crossover between OBNE and Walrus. 

Never a great idea to buy before you try but it sounded too good to resist, will see when it gets here and they are hard to find in UK. The V2 has a internal trim to change the volume boost which I'm hoping means I can make it nice and quiet, cannot stand noisy pedals. 
  • Sounds interesting @Fuengi let us know how you get on with it. Your really shaking up your pedalboard recently!

Sounds interesting @Fuengi let us know how you get on with it. Your really shaking up your pedalboard recently!

Again! It started with a niggling doubt abou the Flint being my best reverb / trem option then snowballed once I go the Tourbox from Thorpy. I'll have swapped Flint, Peacekeeper & Fat General for Jack Rabbit, Polara, Procession, Team Medic & Warthog shortly.
  • I've tried the Slo this week, and sadly, it added white noise to my rig whether switched on or off.

I can't be doing with that, so its gone back to Andertons.
    edited September 2019

I've tried the Slo this week, and sadly, it added white noise to my rig whether switched on or off.

I can't be doing with that, so its gone back to Andertons.

Well that must be very disappointing. Hope it was just a one off. I'm still enjoying the lush sounds of the Slo. With it's modulation, it doesn't really need other modulations with it or they get lost, though a touch of phaser sounds good. I'm using it mostly with TC Forcefield compressor-Peacekeeper-White Atom Fuzz -DOD Rubberneck-Slo- Flint trem. Using a volume pedal for swells, it can sound almost synth like at times.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:
    It's definitely different to any other reverb pedal I've used, and as an ambient sort I've been through quite a lot from yer Bosses to yer Caroline, Death by Audio etc. 

If the Slo ends up being too weird for you, honestly give the Fender Marine Layer a go - there's a wet/dry switch (just don't leave the wet switch on when the pedal's deactivated, it'll kill your signal!) and fantastic modulation, as well as loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong trails. 

Picked up a Marine Layer this moring as still waiting for the OBNE pedal from the Far East, ironically got back from PMT to a failed delivery card from postman which must be it! Pick that up tomorrow.

The Marine Layer is superb, just my cuppa tea so thanks for the recommendation @joetele or I wouldn't have tried it. I really wanted a decent Hall setting to replace the Flint, but absolutely lovin both the Special settings as well as the Hall.

What are you calling the wet / dry switch? Is this the Filter?

The dry kill is not ideal if you want anything else going through the FX Loop. I put my EHX delay in front of it and couldn't work out why it wasn't working! Need to work out how to play that.

Fuengi said:
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:

Picked up a Marine Layer this moring as still waiting for the OBNE pedal from the Far East, ironically got back from PMT to a failed delivery card from postman which must be it! Pick that up tomorrow.

The Marine Layer is superb, just my cuppa tea so thanks for the recommendation @joetele or I wouldn't have tried it. I really wanted a decent Hall setting to replace the Flint, but absolutely lovin both the Special settings as well as the Hall.

The dry kill is not ideal if you want anything else going through the FX Loop. I put my EHX delay in front of it and couldn't work out why it wasn't working! Need to work out how to play that.

Yeah it doesn't just kill the dry, it seems to kill the chain if you have the Marine Layer turned off, so it's a case of always having to remember to switch it back! Bit of a pain but I don't tend to use the switch anyway. It's really a hidden gem, just a bit of an odd duck in that it doesn't do everything like other pedals such as the Oceans 11, nor does it have the Spring that so many are after. But what it does do, it does very very well. Modulated setting in particular is fantastic and tops the Boss RV-5, and Shimmer is more tasteful than any I've tried. I've got the Slo too and they go well together, but I can also recommend two Marine Layers at once! 
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:

Yeah it doesn't just kill the dry, it seems to kill the chain if you have the Marine Layer turned off, so it's a case of always having to remember to switch it back! Bit of a pain but I don't tend to use the switch anyway. It's really a hidden gem, just a bit of an odd duck in that it doesn't do everything like other pedals such as the Oceans 11, nor does it have the Spring that so many are after. But what it does do, it does very very well. Modulated setting in particular is fantastic and tops the Boss RV-5, and Shimmer is more tasteful than any I've tried. I've got the Slo too and they go well together, but I can also recommend two Marine Layers at once! 
    Totally agree with you about the RV-5 which is decent but ML is much easier to shape. 

I never use Plate or Spring reverb from a pedal so it's absolutely ideal really. 

I'll let you know how the OBNE Procession compares tomorrow.
    Fuengi said:
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:

Totally agree with you about the RV-5 which is decent but ML is much easier to shape. 

I never use Plate or Spring reverb from a pedal so it's absolutely ideal really. 

Interested to hear your thoughts on that one. I didn't quite get on with it but loved the idea 
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:
    joetele said:
    Fuengi said:

Interested to hear your thoughts on that one. I didn't quite get on with it but loved the idea 
    So, yeah! I quite like it. All three modes offer something but you got to dial it in just right. Got a lovely filter setting this afternoon and just played with that for 20 mins. 

I'd say the modulation feels a little separated from the reverb but it does work. Need to play a little bit more with the tremolo setting but it's certainly a useful things to have. 

Got a sort of police siren cascade in on the flange setting which was interesting! 
  • Sounds cool. I’m still very much into the Slo. With the room lights off and just the pedals for illumination it’s a luscious and immersive sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So just to chime in, I recently got the 1 big box with the arp-87(?) And fathom in there and to say I'm stunned is an understatement!
    The the delay is easy to use but is weird enough to create some truly weird delays which is great to have, the fathom is beautiful and I'm a bit of a traditionalist with reverb so not fully explored it all yet, but so far....it's popped my