Was Very Impressed With St. Vincent's Guitaring

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
edited May 2014 in Music

Caught St. Vincent on Jools last night and was really impressed with her tasteful playing, especially on Prince Johnny.  Reminded me a bit of a lady Prince. 

Couldn't find a clip online yet but here is her live in Paris -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ4mIVOrBMo

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    I thought she was fabulous!. I was dissapointed Natalie Merchant didnt get more time.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Didn't like the guitar sound. Odd way to finish the song. Nice legs.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Didn't like the guitar sound. Odd way to finish the song. Nice legs.
    The finish to the song was a tad cringe-worthy. but it's crap like that that makes you stand out I s'pose.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    sexy lady, brilliant musician
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Very good phrasing and tight playing. 

I love those twin bucker Albert Lee models. 

I actually like that performance more than the version on the album.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Intriguing artist. Unusual way to play, picking and strumming up on the freboard.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I liked that twin-guitar-robot-girls thing they did. Nice guitar part and quite sci-fi!
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    I'd been listening to her album in the car without even knowing she played guitar. Loved her playing in the clip, very tasteful.
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    dogload said:
    I liked that twin-guitar-robot-girls thing they did. Nice guitar part and quite sci-fi!
    Or was it simply a tribute to Wilko Johnson?

Found this this morning -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE7R4nKBK8Y

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Love that Dan Armstrong plexi.

I've just got to get another sometime, kinda miss it, ah sweet memories.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    Not a fan from what I've heard but she sang with Nirvana at their R&R Hall of Fame induction. Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: Crikey! Just seen on Wiki she was in Polyphonic Spree, which means I've already seen her live about 10 feet away, about 11years ago. They were a great live act, like a really happy Arcade Fire 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Maybe I'm missing something too, just very average and cliche'd to me, all in favour of more girls/women playing guitar, but sometimes a reality check is necessary and not look at the gender, merely the ability and then maybe some balance will be used
    sweepy said:
    Maybe I'm missing something

You probably are...making assumptions maybe?  If you read the comments above other's opinion describe her playing as 'tasteful', and that she has 'good phrasing and timing'.  Perhaps it is you that is looking at her gender and assuming that in anyone giving her any recognition that automatically means we are purporting her to be the second coming of the guitar world.  She is undoubtedly a fairly decent guitarist who is making an impact enough to receive recognition for her playing, which as it goes seems to be far rarer in the female kind.  If you really are 'all in favour of more girls/women playing guitar', then you'd probably realise that Annie Clark is far more likely to inspire young girls to pick up a guitar than yet another all male rock band.

sweepy said:
    just very average and cliche'd to me,
    To be honest unless you set out to knock her from the start it seems strange that you could see her playing as more clichéd than 90% of the never ending stream of blues guys and shredders that endlessly occupy the covers of the sycophantic guitar press.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3591
    Tuck Andress' niece...that's handy ;)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I avoid cliche'd players like the plague tbh and my usual playlists rarely feature guitar players for that very reason, from a guitar point it all came across as early David Byrne-esque without the brash confidence that comes with it.   Female guitar players, give me Emily Remler, Jennifer Batten Wendy Melvoin Kaki king etc anytime, just not St Vincent I'm afraid.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    I avoid cliche'd players like the plague tbh and my usual playlists rarely feature guitar players for that very reason, from a guitar point it all came across as early David Byrne-esque without the brash confidence that comes with it.   Female guitar players, give me Emily Remler, Jennifer Batten Wendy Melvoin Kaki king etc anytime, just not St Vincent I'm afraid.
    I would think being derivative of David Byrne puts her light years ahead of most of the guitarists you see in guitar related interviews in the originality stakes who are mostly derivative of Albert King.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    sweepy said:
    Maybe I'm missing something too, just very average and cliche'd to me, all in favour of more girls/women playing guitar, but sometimes a reality check is necessary and not look at the gender, merely the ability and then maybe some balance will be used

Nothing wrong with it but like @sweepy having watched that first clip I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about. Next please ! :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I like her .. not pretentious at all .. comes across well and I like what I've seen of her playing. I'll have to check out Jools on iPlayer.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!