Audio in the car??

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5105
I would not expect a great sound from the 'stereo' in my car.  OK it will play CDs, has a radio and bluetooth and all that but it sounds reasonable for speech and tiring for music.

It does surprise me that some folks do care about the sound in their cars.  Not the boom boom thump thump that you hear from the boy racer cruising around town sound.  But genuine hi-fi quality sound.

Some clubs and organisations have audio quality competitions for in car systems.  Read this guide for the judges: http://www.teamaudionutz.com/tutorial/27/What_is_Sound_Quality_and_How_is_it_Judged

Fascinating.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    If I could afford a car in which there was no road, engine or otherwise noise, so that it was worth having a stereo system with a better frequency response than a late 60s Phillips Cassette player, then I'd still buy a cheaper car and spend the difference on my hi fi at home.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11026
    Word. The law. Wisdom. Truth.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    If the sound quality of the car stereo matters that much to you, you're not giving your full attention to what you're supposed to be... ie driving.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1131
    Has Russ Andrews started selling car batteries yet?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2804
    All car stereos should be tuned to Radio 4 and have their buttons ripped off. IMO of course :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622
    Must admit the quality of sound system is importrant to me in choice of car sad bugger that I am !
    Always take my ipod and play my fave 'test track' (highway star from made in japan) before signing on the dotted line.
    Oddly enough the Sony system in my Mondeo sounds way better than the Harmon Kardon premium system in my Jag.
    Difference over 8 yrs auto manuf. makes to sound improvement !

Audio quality matters to you and you take an iPod?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622
    Foster said:
    Yep, handy when jumping around multiple cars and tbh it sounds bloody good..especially in the Ford which I would not expect. Cheapest car out of em & puts both Jag & BMW sound to shame. Agreed it is the top range Ford Sony system but it is standard fit. You'd be surprised how good it sounds. Off ipod/HD etc very little difference from putting CDs in.

Altho like @cruxiform says most of the time I'm listening to radio 4 (especially the plays & who needs hifi for that)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Foster said:
    Depends what format the track is in… iPods will play full uncompressed AIFF/WAVs as well - same as taking a CD with you. I demonstrated this to a singer I was working with a couple of years ago - she was doing a solo showcase gig with backing tracks and was against me running the track from my iPod, until I demonstrated the difference between the mp3 and the AIFF version of the same track. It's not the hardware that's the issue.

In any case, I would have thought that the limitations of the car as a listening space outweigh the difference between CD and any decently encoded mp3 anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    bazxkr said:
    Always ... play my fave 'test track' (highway star from made in japan) before signing on the dotted line.

Dangerous! Any Deep Purple makes me drive like a demented dingbat (can't say it isn't fun though!)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    bazxkr said:
    Altho like @cruxiform says most of the time I'm listening to radio 4 (especially the plays & who needs hifi for that)
    Why not just stick Radio 4 on then?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970

These days I'm more concerned about the quality of the stereo in the car then the power of the engine. I find driving so boring that a good stereo and some good music is a must
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3096

I'd go along with that @Danny1969.

I'm not into cars particularly but I do like a nice audio system.   I bought a brand new Corsa a year or so ago - for my commute to work - and the CD player is crap, frankly.

However, all the "trim" is now out of warranty, so I'm off to the local ICE emporium to have something nice fitted when I can afford it.

The fifty-odd minutes I spend in my car each day is the only real chance I get to really turn the volume up, too.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Obviously replaced the OEM cd player in our Hyundai 4x4 with a nice Alpine one that takes the iPod. Guy in the shop was really trying to sell a full speaker package too but pointless with rumbly tyres and a big turbo diesel up front. Still sounds just fine to us however.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    I stuck a Kenwood in my Audi which made quite a pleasant improvement to the sound quality though it wasn't overly expensive.

Complaining about use of compressed formats in a car makes no sense. Ultimately the limiting factor to car audio is the road and engine noise it's going to impede your listening experience far more than a decent AAC or similar.

The best way to get better in car sound is drive a bigger car with more sound isolation.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    I'm making some big life-style changes and am about to start a new career. Having given back my company car I've just bought a new Ford Focus fitted with the exceptionally quiet Ecoboost engine. The factory sound system, once set up properly is something of a revelation. Ok, not in the same league as my 'proper' Hi Fi at home but still very good. Really clear, crisp and lacking in any unpleasant characteristics. I mainly listen to Radio 4 in the car but the sound is good enough to encourage me to listen to more music. Really impressed.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    ICBM said:
    If the sound quality of the car stereo matters that much to you, you're not giving your full attention to what you're supposed to be... ie driving.
    Isn't that the chauffeur's job?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited May 2014
    My new Mazda6 Sport sound system is pretty damn good!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    The link above does not refer to standard fitted in car stereos.  AFAIK custom installers, sometimes building new panels for doors etc., will design and fit what is deemed as state of the art systems in cars.  The competition alluded to is for such custom installations.  Of course the car owner can install a system in his/her own car.  There are categories for such self installed systems too.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum