Partscaster neck not aligned with bridge

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Those 6 saddle bridges are pretty crap - they force the string to make an unnatural path to the string through holes. The intonation screw holes should be drilled offset to allow the strings a straight path but on budget bridges they rarely are.
    I'm pretty sure with a standard 3 saddle bridge or regular modern 6 saddle bridge (Gotoh GTC201) everything would line up as it should.
    Did you drill the Wilkinson for the 6 saddles? I've never seen a Wilkinson WTB bridge with those before.

EDIT>>Just noticed it is an "M Series" Wilkinson bridge. Did you get that off Aliexpress from the guy who claims licensing agreement with Trev Wilkinson? He seems to have a few "Wilkinson" products that no-one else does - I suspect he's having them made to his own design/spec. No idea if his agreement with Wilkinson is genuine.
    That said it actually looks like the intonation holes are drilled offset in the pictures so I'm not so sure now...
    It is indeed a bridge from AliExpress. I decided upon a 6 saddle type because I thought it would save intonation headache. Oh, the irony. Are the gotoh bridges made to Fender spec? I think that will sort out most of the problem.
    Yes, the Gotoh GTC201 or 202 would be a direct fit for Fender vintage spec.
    Your picture looks like the intonation screws are in line with the string through holes which would cause the issue.
    If you don't have a 3 saddle bridge to hand you could try removing the saddles and putting a tube of some sort in place to mimic one long straight saddle (cut down pencil or similar). At least then you could see if with an unobstructed path the strings can be aligned and away from the fingerboard edge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the helpful advice. Would this Wilkinson fit? Or would it be more of the same headache? https://www.amazon.com/Wilkinson-WTB-Ashtray-guitars-Saddles/dp/B01B6RDCYQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a Fender ashtray relic'd with compensated saddles if you're interested..

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the helpful advice. Would this Wilkinson fit? Or would it be more of the same headache? https://www.amazon.com/Wilkinson-WTB-Ashtray-guitars-Saddles/dp/B01B6RDCYQ
    It would but all things considered (road worn body, quality etc) I'd seriously consider lovestrat74's offer. Great plate, compensated saddles and already sympathetically aged? Win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the helpful advice. Would this Wilkinson fit? Or would it be more of the same headache? https://www.amazon.com/Wilkinson-WTB-Ashtray-guitars-Saddles/dp/B01B6RDCYQ
    It would but all things considered (road worn body, quality etc) I'd seriously consider lovestrat74's offer. Great plate, compensated saddles and already sympathetically aged? Win.
    Absolutely. And he offered a very reasonable price to - fair-play to him. Unfortunately, I'm out of country at the moment (currently in South Korea). I managed to find a used Gotoh WT3 online. Once that comes, I'll get it installed and report back - it might be of use to someone thinking of doing the same thing. Cheers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    gavin_axecaster said:

Just noticed it is an "M Series" Wilkinson bridge. Did you get that off Aliexpress from the guy who claims licensing agreement with Trev Wilkinson? He seems to have a few "Wilkinson" products that no-one else does - I suspect he's having them made to his own design/spec. No idea if his agreement with Wilkinson is genuine.
    It is indeed a bridge from AliExpress.
    What, something from AliExpress could be genuine?!

First I've heard of that...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom