PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2407
    edited April 2020
    Having picked up an Olympus OM-10 from a charity shop a few weeks ago, I loaded it with it a spare roll of film I had and took a few shots in York today during my daily walk. And I really enjoyed it.

As I sat by the River Ouse, a beautiful Dove came to inspect me – I just managed to whip my phone out in time before it sauntered off elsewhere. I thought it would be a suitable for entry for this month's competition.

Anyway, feeling positive with photography once more, the annoying part of this tale is that upon rewinding the film, the film had torn – I think I took one shot too many. I'm a bit peeved because I think I took some good shots. I suppose what I really need to do is get a decent digital.

EDIT: I should add there are some damn fine entries this month. I'm genuinely impressed  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Had to go to our woods yesterday to repair a bit of fencing, which would have allowed next doors sheep to escape, so I took camera and the dogs and combined my “allowed out” time.....took loads of photos then struggled as to which to post.....so I chose the least rubbish one!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• There are some great entries this month - voting will be tough! My image this month is my wife's eye; when we were dating we went to a pub for lunch and she was sitting in the sun; I'd never noticed that her eyes were two colours before, and in the sunlight the hazel part was so bright, I was spellbound :)

@ThePrettyDamned I can only see your image when I look on my phone; for some reason on my laptop I just get a blank post.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• There are some great entries this month - voting will be tough! My image this month is my wife's eye; when we were dating we went to a pub for lunch and she was sitting in the sun; I'd never noticed that her eyes were two colours before, and in the sunlight the hazel part was so bright, I was spellbound :)

@ThePrettyDamned I can only see your image when I look on my phone; for some reason on my laptop I just get a blank post.

Bugger, it's because it's from Instagram. I'll see if I can get it on imgur and edit the post :) 

Mine was a tough one to take. I sowed the honesties last year and they're flowering now, so thought they'd be a great subject as a cut flower. I used a cardboard background perched on a shoe box, and put the vase on a vintage lens rear cap that had an indent in it. Lens was a vintage Tamron adaptall macro with a 2x teleconverter and it's somewhere between half and full life size on the sensor (closer to half size) - they're fairly small flowers.

Lighting was two vintage flashes off camera, one in my favourite modifier (parabolic cheap umbrella) above camera left for soft fill and the main light was hand-held behind an also-hand-held diffuser on camera right for a slightly harder light to get some sharpness from the old lens.

The wireless trigger was the super cheap neewer set you can get for about 15 quid. Works flawlessly on my Canon 6D (obviously no TTL functions - it's just a dumb radio trigger). Flashes were a pair of old favourites I'll not name because they're still cheaply available online and much better functionality than most of the more popular cheap "strobist" lights (such as vivitars).

All in all, set-up took about 45 minutes then about 4 cut flowers to get a composition that I thought was pleasing without being panoramic (I'm really into my weird long ratios at the moment!). I had another idea but I'll save it for another day - I'm actually exhausted now :) 

Bugger, it's because it's from Instagram. I'll see if I can get it on imgur and edit the post :) 

Mine was a tough one to take. I sowed the honesties last year and they're flowering now, so thought they'd be a great subject as a cut flower. I used a cardboard background perched on a shoe box, and put the vase on a vintage lens rear cap that had an indent in it. Lens was a vintage Tamron adaptall macro with a 2x teleconverter and it's somewhere between half and full life size on the sensor (closer to half size) - they're fairly small flowers.

Lighting was two vintage flashes off camera, one in my favourite modifier (parabolic cheap umbrella) above camera left for soft fill and the main light was hand-held behind an also-hand-held diffuser on camera right for a slightly harder light to get some sharpness from the old lens.

The wireless trigger was the super cheap neewer set you can get for about 15 quid. Works flawlessly on my Canon 6D (obviously no TTL functions - it's just a dumb radio trigger). Flashes were a pair of old favourites I'll not name because they're still cheaply available online and much better functionality than most of the more popular cheap "strobist" lights (such as vivitars).

All in all, set-up took about 45 minutes then about 4 cut flowers to get a composition that I thought was pleasing without being panoramic (I'm really into my weird long ratios at the moment!). I had another idea but I'll save it for another day - I'm actually exhausted now :) 

I'm pretty tired after just reading about it! My photo was my 27mm lens with an 11mm macro tube, and getting my wife to sit still near the window while I took about 20 shots :lol:

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I'm really struggling this month for motivation. The whole thing has got me depressed to the point I'm struggling to plan, get excited for, or do anything productive.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited April 2020
    There are some great entries this month - voting will be tough! My image this month is my wife's eye; when we were dating we went to a pub for lunch and she was sitting in the sun; I'd never noticed that her eyes were two colours before, and in the sunlight the hazel part was so bright, I was spellbound

Bugger, it's because it's from Instagram. I'll see if I can get it on imgur and edit the post  

All in all, set-up took about 45 minutes then about 4 cut flowers to get a composition that I thought was pleasing without being panoramic (I'm really into my weird long ratios at the moment!). I had another idea but I'll save it for another day - I'm actually exhausted now  

I'm pretty tired after just reading about it! My photo was my 27mm lens with an 11mm macro tube, and getting my wife to sit still near the window while I took about 20 shots lol

Yep, it's pretty exhausting but I'm pleased with the result, and I'll be printing it for the wall somewhere between A3 and A4 in size so worth it for me for me, the print is the ultimate goal for any photo not printed is somewhat a personal failure for me. 

Yours is great, I love the sunstar you got in the catch light - you must have had a good bit of light to get that through the iris blades! No shame in "spray and pray"!

Can anyone help me with my imgur link? I've pasted but it won't appear :(
  • Fixed it!!! :) 

Voting will be bloody hard this month. Always is, but I usually use the accuracy to theme to guide me. This month, everyone has great shots that are right on theme! 

• This was my alternative. I didn't enter this one because it's not quite on theme, but I was pleased with it nonetheless. I stuffed the vase with some leaves to try to give an illusion of swirling - the vase is just plain glass. A gold reflector added a flame-effect. The photo is a stack of 5 images to get more in focus, but it's far from perfect and there are a lot of imperfections around petals. I will print this, but the poor stacking means it'll not print well as a huge enlargement.

If anyone else is experienced with focus stacking and wants to share tips, please hit me up :) I used to do it a lot using a very precise copy stand but that was work and this is fun. I suspect had I done 20 images in the stack it would be better... 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12352
    Some great shots already this month, I’ll need to up my game. 
  • @wolfetone please tell me more about your photo, it's fantastic. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    how about we have a competition one month where the subject is explicitly specified? some folks find it hard to narrow it down I think
    e.g.
    an electric guitar
    a pedal
    a face
    a building
    a lake
    the woods
    a river
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    There are some great entries this month - voting will be tough! My image this month is my wife's eye; when we were dating we went to a pub for lunch and she was sitting in the sun; I'd never noticed that her eyes were two colours before, and in the sunlight the hazel part was so bright, I was spellbound :)

great, I had been thinking of doing an eye too
    Always nice to see this done well
  • westfordwestford Frets: 578
    Been messing around with my kid’s pocket microscope and my phone camera.
  • westford said:
    I've just come to this thread to ask you what your picture was of! That's come out really well :)

edited April 2020
    westford said:
    I've just come to this thread to ask you what your picture was of! That's come out really well
    Thanks, it’s a flower petal. It started out like this - 

https://i.ibb.co/W20ypLh/9335-E63-A-6-D21-416-E-A068-A42720237-DC3.jpg

But as I tried to move it around to get a better shot it got pretty beaten up and made a more interesting abstract image (well, I think so).
  • westford said:

Really cool! Would love a microscope. 

Yep, it's pretty exhausting but I'm pleased with the result, and I'll be printing it for the wall somewhere between A3 and A4 in size so worth it for me for me, the print is the ultimate goal for any photo not printed is somewhat a personal failure for me. 
    That will look great!
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    @wolfetone please tell me more about your photo, it's fantastic. 
    @ThePrettyDamned ; I took it on my old Lumix GX1 with 150mm telephoto beefed up in the menu using the Ex Tele Conversion setting.

It was taken last July in Florida.
  • Thinking I maybe should have waited. Had another go today and came up with these. These are very small, straight-from-camera jpegs, just to assess overall quality (which isn't fantastic, but it was a fun, if challenging, piece of work). Again, used a pair of 35-40 year old flashes, a 40-50 year old lens and 2x teleconverter and the patience of a frigging Saint with a pair of quite unreliable radio triggers. 

This challenge, coupled with quarantine, has really fired up my creative side. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom