PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• Original edit:

New version:

The crop is fractionally tighter and it’s a chink moodier. I try and stay away from very heavy dodge/burn type edits but actually I think this one improves it quite a lot so it’s something I will investigate further. 

Now I’m looking again I wonder about removing the other twig& leaf on the right hand side, just to clean it up. Maybe tomorrow, but just out of interest and trying to improve my photoshop skills, rather than any sort of updated entry
    here. 

Definitely prefer the new one. 

I used to want detail in all my shadows just because. Now, I am all about my highlight dignity - shadows fall wherever, like the opposite of negative film where you expose for shadows and the highlights land where they land. 

Lightroom could probably handle that leaf in a few clicks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Cheers, I completely agree. I’m starting to be much more deliberate in processing and particularly how I can be more selective in choosing which areas to expose brightly and which to keep much darker. Modern cameras let you bring out so much detail from shadows and highlights, but that doesn’t mean you have to. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Voting is now open in the photo thread.

@Roysterdoyster I can't see your picture on my phone; I'll check in the morning from my laptop and let you know if it's working for me there 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Voting is now open in the photo thread.

@Roysterdoyster I can't see your picture on my phone; I'll check in the morning from my laptop and let you know if it's working for me there 
    The ever frustrating “loading a pic from imgur” issue
    @Roysterdoyster are you on phone or pc? 

If using the iphone app, long press on the photo itself and select "Copy Link", then come over to here, hit the insert image button, paste and press space. 

If on desktop, right click the image, select "Copy Link Address" (on Chrome, might be worded slightly different on other browsers), then come here, hit the insert image button and paste. 
  • @Roysterdoyster are you on phone or pc? 

If using the iphone app, long press on the photo itself and select "Copy Link", then come over to here, hit the insert image button, paste and press space. 

If on desktop, right click the image, select "Copy Link Address" (on Chrome, might be worded slightly different on other browsers), then come here, hit the insert image button and paste. 
    Did exactly as you say for the iPhone instructions. Nowt happens. All I can see is a tiny square. 
    edited April 2020
    Are you using the imgur app? From your post it looks like you're copying the url of the imgur page where the photo can be found, rather than the image itself. Your link should end ".jpg"

It’s working for me - great pic!

• @Roysterdoyster are you on phone or pc? 

Right, it works now. There are 2 options, “copy link” & “copy post link”. It’s the latter that works 
  • Yeah, I can see it now. Great photo! Voting is going to be super hard this month 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Results are now up on the photo thread

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    Hearty congratulations to the top three. I'm grateful for everyone who voted for mine - I genuinely wouldn't have put it in the top three myself!

Sadly @skullfunkerry any more pics of Gibson will now have to be (true) historic, as he shuffled off his mortal coil a couple of weeks ago :/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    Hearty congratulations to the top three. I'm grateful for everyone who voted for mine - I genuinely wouldn't have put it in the top three myself!

Sadly @skullfunkerry any more pics of Gibson will now have to be (true) historic, as he shuffled off his mortal coil a couple of weeks ago :/

Oh shit, I'm so sorry mate

• Snags said:

So sorry to hear that :(
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
    New competition thread is now up. Apologies, I meant to do it yesterday but I had a manic day with work...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    New competition thread is now up. Apologies, I meant to do it yesterday but I had a manic day with work...

I'll have to sit this out as I don't have a pet in lockdown.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:

Doesn't have to be a pet... could be a spider, or a bird...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

I have birds in the garden but my camera gear has no chance of taking a pic of one .. I don't own a telephoto lens. A spider isn't an animal .. ;-)

I might get lucky if the local fox appears ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I have birds in the garden but my camera gear has no chance of taking a pic of one .. I don't own a telephoto lens. A spider isn't an animal .. ;-)

Could have got a cracking shot this morning, our cats (a pair of toms, both part feral and complete bruisers) had got a fully grown fox cornered in the garden and were staring it out. Of course by the time I got the camera, it had managed to scarper and the cats were sitting on the lawn licking their arses. Ho hum, back to taking pictures of pigeons. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Could have got a cracking shot this morning, our cats (a pair of toms, both part feral and complete bruisers) had got a fully grown fox cornered in the garden and were staring it out. Of course by the time I got the camera, it had managed to scarper and the cats were sitting on the lawn licking their arses. Ho hum, back to taking pictures of pigeons. 

D'oh, that's a shame! We've got a blackbird nest in one of our bushes in the garden. My wife pointed out yesterday that I should set my camera up on a tripod, as if anything happens I'll miss it if I have to rush to get my gear!

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    I dug out my old EOS 30D for this, as it's the only one with a half-decent telephoto lens, and we have nesting blue tits, as well as hordes of squirrels, crows, pigeons and other stuff come through. Of course, having been neglected for 5 years, all three batteries are fucked :/