PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• Snags said:
    I dug out my old EOS 30D for this, as it's the only one with a half-decent telephoto lens, and we have nesting blue tits, as well as hordes of squirrels, crows, pigeons and other stuff come through. Of course, having been neglected for 5 years, all three batteries are fucked :/

Mpb.com might have a cheap replacement :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Fretwired said:
    New competition thread is now up. Apologies, I meant to do it yesterday but I had a manic day with work...

I'll have to sit this out as I don't have a pet in lockdown.
    Just for clarity........

'Animal'

noun
    1. a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I am putting together a reverse lens macro rig. The camera is an old back up GX1, the lens is odd my Canon AE-1, the bracketry is what I had hanging around my kit bag. I'm waiting for some extension tubes, a Nikon enlarger lens (flat field) and a 12" reflector.

Total s/h cost is about £250. Hope it's together for my entry this month!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Snags said:
    I dug out my old EOS 30D for this, as it's the only one with a half-decent telephoto lens, and we have nesting blue tits, as well as hordes of squirrels, crows, pigeons and other stuff come through. Of course, having been neglected for 5 years, all three batteries are fucked
    Well i hope you get your batteries sorted..... I’m looking forward to seeing your pair of tits. 

Sorry, somebody had to do it.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    OK .. got a second-hand Olympus zoom 40-150mm lens for £79 from MPB ... it's brilliant for the money so I'll see what I can shoot.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    I've taken too many pictures and none of them are a stand-out "best" which is leading to terrible indecision as to which one to use :(
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    Snags said:
    I've taken too many pictures and none of them are a stand-out "best" which is leading to terrible indecision as to which one to use :(
    I've hurt my ankle so getting around is very tricky at the moment, I can't put any weight on it at all... might have to use a photo I already had, rather than taking a new one
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

@skullfunkerry Ow, that's a bugger :(

I was half-thinking I'd bag something interesting on a walk, as we have loads of red kites and other things in the area, but so far I've mostly sat in the back garden trying to bag blue tits, goldfinches, and squiggles. Could have got a blinder of a goldfinch shot, but my mum rang up in a tiz about nothing and wouldn't sod off until it had moved on. So when I don't win, it's her fault ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    @skullfunkerry Ow, that's a bugger :(

I was half-thinking I'd bag something interesting on a walk, as we have loads of red kites and other things in the area, but so far I've mostly sat in the back garden trying to bag blue tits, goldfinches, and squiggles. Could have got a blinder of a goldfinch shot, but my mum rang up in a tiz about nothing and wouldn't sod off until it had moved on. So when I don't win, it's her fault ;)
    I love red kites, every time I have to anywhere near Oxford for work I keep my eyes peeled. One has been seen around here (Rochford, Essex) recently so I'm hoping that they'll become a common sight 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited May 2020
    Had some luck yesterday. Warm sunny day - took loads of pics with 90% being useless but some good ones. This squirrel then turns up, digs up a nut from my lawn and proceeds to eat it. I just snapped away - it was oblivious to me.

Shot on my Olympus OM-D E-M10 MKIII with the 40 - 150mm 4-5.6 R lens at 128mm.

@Wolfetone the squiggle on the seed feeder was taken with my old recently revived EOS30D and Canon 70-300EF (the cheapo one).

Took it portrait and cropped out roughly the upper half. A little bit of messing in Photoshop (Elements) until it looked OK to me - In don't really know what I'm doing.
    OK so there's no love for my squirrel pic but it's vanished ... :-(

@Fretwired ; have only looked on the phone, but from here it looks suspiciously like your domain registration has lapsed and the domain has been blagged by a squatter.

Going to the source URL goes to a general random link page.
    Unless that actually is your site (lots of guitar related content, but the style is very link farm, so hopefully I'm not giving offence!)
    @fretwired Apologies for the triple post, but at a proper computer now.

Not sure if you've been squatted, hacked, or subverted in some other way, but it definitely looks dodgy. Registration info indicates it shouldn't havebeen squatted, because renewal isn't until November this year, but the default home page on the 1&1 hosting is a classic "We'll use your parked domain to serve up advert links in order to generate click throughs" fashion, in the manner of parking companies that hoover up domains and wait for people to make an offer.

Your squirrel photo no longer exists and/or is being caught by a rewrite which just puts up either a 404 or the same index page no matter what URL you put in on the domain.

If it is with IONOS/1&1 you probably want to get on to them pronto.

Either that or I've just really offended you by calling your carefully crafted site a domain squatters link farm, in which case I'll get my coat :)
    Snags said:

Either that or I've just really offended you by calling your carefully crafted site a domain squatters link farm, in which case I'll get my coat :)

Interesting .. there shouldn't be a site. I'll check it out.

Hey @cj73 - not sure why but I can only see your photo when I look at it on my phone. On my laptop it just looks like a blank post for some reason...

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Hey @cj73 - not sure why but I can only see your photo when I look at it on my phone. On my laptop it just looks like a blank post for some reason...
    strange.. it's alright on my mac and phone

• Not had a chance to take pics this month and don't want to go for an archive one so I'm sitting it out. Nice to see some furry things though :) 
  • westfordwestford Frets: 553
    Gave up on trying to get a decent photo of my dog, she thought we were still doing close-ups this month...

I should really dig my old digital camera out, my iPhone pics can’t compete with you lot.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom