PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    This one is proving tough.. being a bass player I don’t possess a guitar :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Thanks for the entries so far, keep 'em coming!  :)

Also, I noticed that camera settings have been added to the competition thread. Everyone okay with that?

This one is proving tough.. being a bass player I don’t possess a guitar :D
    Dude, that's something a drummer would say  ;)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    beed84 said:

Also, I noticed that camera settings have been added to the competition thread. Everyone okay with that?

I guess it could help others to try similar settings?......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

My entry is in, I really struggled to come up with something that might be considered a bit different......
    I even had 8 Strats in various poses on the lawn!! Caught the neighbour watching, bet she thought I'd lost it!!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    beed84 said:

I absolutely agree; however, it was discussed when idea pooling that the 'comment thread' could/should be used for said settings to make the 'competition thread' text free. If everyone is happy with this info being there, then it's okay with me too  :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    edited October 2019
    I still have a photo in my head. Just need to get it in the camera... We still have 10 days, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    @skullfunkerry you definitely made the right decision  :) 

@stickyfiddle yes, 10 days and counting. Your idea best be worth the suspense
    ;) 

beed84 said:
    @skullfunkerry you definitely made the right decision  :) 

@stickyfiddle yes, 10 days and counting. Your idea best be worth the suspense ;) 

I promise I have an idea. I can't promise I will make it work... But I will definitely try :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Just added my photo... not so many in there at the moment!

What is that in your picture, @skunkwerx? I like the colour :)

Incidentally, I had two pictures and wasn't sure which one to use. This is the one that didn't make the cut:

Cheers man :) I call it Laguna.. 

Its an Ibanez Rgdix6mpb. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • beed84 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    beed84 said:

I absolutely agree; however, it was discussed when idea pooling that the 'comment thread' could/should be used for said settings to make the 'competition thread' text free. If everyone is happy with this info being there, then it's okay with me too  :)
    I forgot about making the main thread text free... if everyone wants to move the photo settings etc to this thread then I'm happy to edit my post
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited October 2019
    @beed84 ;Are we allowed to enter more than one photo? 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    paulnb57 said:
    Are we allowed to enter more than one photo? 
    Don’t think so.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    beed84 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    beed84 said:

It makes much more sense (to me anyway) to have the settings in the post with the picture, rather than having to cross reference the comments in another thread. I can see you might not want the thread clogged up with lots of “nice shot” and “what guitar is that?” comments, but even that wouldn’t bother me. At the moment it’s all a bit confusing having two threads going and personally I’d be happy to just have one next time around. 

I’ll get a pic submitted soon btw. 
    boogieman said:
    beed84 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    beed84 said:

It makes much more sense (to me anyway) to have the settings in the post with the picture, rather than having to cross reference the comments in another thread. I can see you might not want the thread clogged up with lots of “nice shot” and “what guitar is that?” comments, but even that wouldn’t bother me. At the moment it’s all a bit confusing having two threads going and personally I’d be happy to just have one next time around. 

I’ll get a pic submitted soon btw. 
    I agree that having settings in the competition thread would be much easier. But for now at least, we'll keep the comments thread open for anything else people might want to talk about. And if it doesn't get used, then maybe we'll think about scrapping it later on.
    Done! Just finished work and finally had some time and the right mood :) 
  • Done! Just finished work and finally had some time and the right mood :) 
    I really like your picture. I thought I'd set my ISO too low (well, forgotten to set it higher tbh), but yours isn't far off what mine was. I'm still getting to grips with not shooting in Auto mode...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

I really like your picture. I thought I'd set my ISO too low (well, forgotten to set it higher tbh), but yours isn't far off what mine was. I'm still getting to grips with not shooting in Auto mode...
    Yeah, if anything mine is a smidge underexposed, but I think it works for the low-key feel I wanted. The same shot could just as easily have become basic magazine/product photography with a slight settings tweak.

Once you’re past the initial decision of “is the exposure completely wrong inappropriate or basically ok”, it’s then all down to personal preference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, if anything mine is a smidge underexposed, but I think it works for the low-key feel I wanted. The same shot could just as easily have become basic magazine/product photography with a slight settings tweak.

Once you’re past the initial decision of “is the exposure completely wrong inappropriate or basically ok”, it’s then all down to personal preference.
    I've taken quite a few photos now where I've forgotten to check the ISO and discovered that they're completely over exposed. In one case I didn't check until much later and the opportunity was lost...

I've taken quite a few photos now where I've forgotten to check the ISO and discovered that they're completely over exposed. In one case I didn't check until much later and the opportunity was lost...
    Yeah, but making mistakes is the best way to learn. 

Depending on what I'm doing, I either leave ISO on Auto (for general use) or its minimum setting (if I'm outside in daylight), then manually choose aperture and shutter based on how I want the photo to look (i.e. the mix of bokeh, sunstars, blurred or frozen movement). In effect I'm basically in Aperture-priority mode most of the time, although Fuji don't have that on a single dial setting like you'd see on a DSLR.

Yeah, but making mistakes is the best way to learn. 

Depending on what I'm doing, I either leave ISO on Auto (for general use) or its minimum setting (if I'm outside in daylight), then manually choose aperture and shutter based on how I want the photo to look (i.e. the mix of bokeh, sunstars, blurred or frozen movement). In effect I'm basically in Aperture-priority mode most of the time, although Fuji don't have that on a single dial setting like you'd see on a DSLR.
    I use aperture priority mode most of the time, but I think with the lens I've got the camera sometimes can't compensate for the ISO I've selected (or forgotten to change)