PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• If you were feeling adventurous you could set up a Flickr pool for all entries for posterity. There’s some really great shots in the first round and it would be nice to have them all in one place
    That's a good idea. It gets them to a wider audience too, then; I've had a holiday photo used in a travel guide after someone saw it on flickr
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Im afraid Ive lost track of what's going on here...why can't we stick to one thread again?

Where is the next subject posted?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Im afraid Ive lost track of what's going on here...why can't we stick to one thread again?

Me too !  Not a clue what's going on ?  I'm minded to enter the next competition, but I'll need to know the subject.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’m sure @beed84 will post a proper competition thread with the subject and everything soon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    edited October 2019
    spark240 said:

Me too !  Not a clue what's going on ?  I'm minded to enter the next competition, but I'll need to know the subject.
    I understand why this might be confusing, so here's some clarification:
    • there will be a competition open for entry on the 1st of every month (you can include camera settings in this thread if you wish)
    • the competition thread will be created a day before and will include the theme/subject (the reason this isn't published early is so no-one gets a head start)
    • a separate voting thread will be made available
    • this thread is used for comments across all competitions
    Make sense? Any issues, let me know.  
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    So the voting thread and comments thread are the same thing yes ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    So the voting thread and comments thread are the same thing yes ?
    No, they are not the same thing.

The voting thread is primarily used for voting, but you may see some congratulatory comments from forum members relating to said votes.

The comment thread is used for all other comments, i.e. no voting.

The reason there are two separate threads is to make my life easier, even if it's just a bit.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Why not merge each month's entries and voting threads into one?

Unless I'm missing something, the reason for having them separated from the comments is to make it easier for people to scan through the images when voting, and for you to count the votes after the entries have concluded. Since the entries happen in one block, and the voting afterwards, it should be straightforward for you to still collate the votes if they're in the second half of a clutter-free thread.

That way, there would be one on-going thread for comments and chat, and only one thread for each month's competition, which would be a bit easier to keep track of. 

That would also mean that the thread titles no longer need to have 'entries' and 'voting' or whatever, and that space could be replaced by the current month's theme.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Nomad said:

Unless I'm missing something, the reason for having them separated from the comments is to make it easier for people to scan through the images when voting, and for you to count the votes after the entries have concluded. Since the entries happen in one block, and the voting afterwards, it should be straightforward for you to still collate the votes if they're in the second half of a clutter-free thread.

That way, there would be one on-going thread for comments and chat, and only one thread for each month's competition, which would be a bit easier to keep track of. 

That would also mean that the thread titles no longer need to have 'entries' and 'voting' or whatever, and that space could be replaced by the current month's theme.

Makes sense to me too. 
    boogieman said:
    Nomad said:

Makes sense to me too. 
    Okay, that sounds sensible. I will see that it is done  :)
    edited October 2019
    While I have time November's competition is now up.

In terms of the theme, @Poopot said:

"Parklife"

Folk can interpret that anyway they want to... up to them... could be a tree in a park through to a couple arguing outside cash converters...should be a broad subject.

So it's over to you. You have a two day head start to think about how you might want to approach the subject. Have fun  
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I guess “parklife” is a vague and broad subject but it should give up a huge variety of images...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    beed84 said:
    While I have time November's competition is now up.

In terms of the theme, @Poopot said:

"Parklife"

Folk can interpret that anyway they want to... up to them... could be a tree in a park through to a couple arguing outside cash converters...should be a broad subject.

So it's over to you. You have a two day head start to think about how you might want to approach the subject. Have fun  
    Or the picture could just be a blur .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That was a tough one. No parks near me. Then I realised I lived on Park Lane - how ironic as there’s no park here.

Turns out the Park is the farm up the road. You pretty much don’t see a single soul up there when I take the dogs for a walk. And a rather dishevelled vegetable truck had appeared...

It was an Olympus XA2 shot on Kodak colorplus 200 and processes in Cinestill dev+blix. Digitised using a Nikon Z7 and processed in lightroom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited November 2019
    That's a great image from @poopot. I really like everything about that one - technically and creatively.    ^:)^
    Can we ban @poopot from entering for being a smartarse? :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That was a tough one. No parks near me. Then I realised I lived on Park Lane - how ironic as there’s no park here.

Turns out the Park is the farm up the road. You pretty much don’t see a single soul up there when I take the dogs for a walk. And a rather dishevelled vegetable truck had appeared...

It was an Olympus XA2 shot on Kodak colorplus 200 and processes in Cinestill dev+blix. Digitised using a Nikon Z7 and processed in lightroom
    I've found it hard this week too. Went out this afternoon and wandered around in Shoeburyness, as I had a couple of ideas. Ended up going through them with my wife and she helped me choose the one to submit. Now that I've done it though, I can see that it's a little under-exposed and the colours all look a bit lifeless... :/

Oh well, the whole point of this is to learn, isn't it?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

That was a tough one. No parks near me. Then I realised I lived on Park Lane - how ironic as there’s no park here.

I've found it hard this week too. Went out this afternoon and wandered around in Shoeburyness, as I had a couple of ideas. Ended up going through them with my wife and she helped me choose the one to submit. Now that I've done it though, I can see that it's a little under-exposed and the colours all look a bit lifeless... :/

Just had a look at your pic in Lightroom @skullfunkerry (if you don't mind!) - great picture..

I really like the atmosphere of the version you've posted. If anything, it's maybe 2/3 stop underexposed. There's some highlight and shadow detail to be had there as well, but to be honest I'm not sure it is actually better with it revealed - the only difference is the colours of the graffiti pop a bit more...

My go:

• That was a tough one. No parks near me. Then I realised I lived on Park Lane - how ironic as there’s no park here.

Just had a look at your pic in Lightroom @skullfunkerry (if you don't mind!) - great picture..

I really like the atmosphere of the version you've posted. If anything, it's maybe 2/3 stop underexposed. There's some highlight and shadow detail to be had there as well, but to be honest I'm not sure it is actually better with it revealed - the only difference is the colours of the graffiti pop a bit more...

My go:

I don't mind at all! I prefer your edit, tbh.

I think I've got my camera set to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop... I think that's something to do with something my sister-in-law told me she'd learned on a photography course. Might have to revisit that. I still struggle with ISO, I never really know what to set that to, and I find that if I'm shooting in Aperture priority I tend to use minimum or maximum aperture, never anything in between. I tried taking a few photos today and then taking them again in Auto, to see what settings the camera had chosen. For the landscapes and things I tended to find that the camera chose a much lower ISO than me, and a slightly smaller aperture...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    An interesting comparison between the taken, underexposed, version and the edited corrected exposure version. I too like the atmosphere of the posted version and the more saturated colours resulting from the underexposure. For me it's just moodier.