What is similar to DSL40 but higher quality?

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
Maybe subjective? 

What's generally regarded as the upgrade path for those who like the sounds and features of  the (new era) Marshall dsl40 combo amps,  but want to get a higher quality unit with similar but more pristine tones but still thr convenience and features and volume and size of the DSL?

Maybe it's a dumb question. 

I was inspired by a recent thread stating the Friedman be100 was like an upgrade to a Marshall jcm800.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited October 2019
    JVM? Ok they don’t exactly have the portability of a DSL40 but they sound awesome, loads of tones in there. OD1 orange is the one. The Satriani model is especially good if you can find one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Rivera Clubster 45

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Hmm I thought there's be more. 
  • Hmm I thought there's be more. 
    Engl Thunder is worth a look, or the Screamer. 

Very versatile amps that cover a goid cross  section of classic rock into high gain. 

A lot less shouty than their more metal inspired brethren, I really like the Engl voicing too, Marshall meets Mesa type tones. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    If you have a DSL40 and love it, why change?

Wallet itchy....?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also check out Jet City, really great Amps inside and out (they even get the thumbs up from ICBM) more Soldano in voicing, so its modded Marshall, but really great and cheap as chips too, not sure if they do a combo but the 20w head and a cab is still prob less than the DSL40 combo. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    professorben said:

Very versatile amps that cover a goid cross  section of classic rock into high gain. 

A lot less shouty than their more metal inspired brethren, I really like the Engl voicing too, Marshall meets Mesa type tones. 
    I would avoid those. They're almost as poorly made as the older Marshall DSLs - among other things they use really stupidly-designed output transformers which mount on the PCB, and are ludicrously expensive.

Literally today I've just fitted a Thunder 50 head with a Peavey output transformer I had spare - which involved modifying the amp to fit it - because the price of the correct replacement made the repair uneconomical.

This is not the only poor design/built fault I've come across with Engl.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Bogner Shiva EL34
  • ICBM said:
    professorben said:

I would avoid those. They're almost as poorly made as the older Marshall DSLs - among other things they use really stupidly-designed output transformers which mount on the PCB, and are ludicrously expensive.

Literally today I've just fitted a Thunder 50 head with a Peavey output transformer I had spare - which involved modifying the amp to fit it - because the price of the correct replacement made the repair uneconomical.

This is not the only poor design/built fault I've come across with Engl.
    I knew you would say that, but despite their build issues they sound fantastic. 

edited October 2019
    You might like a Mini Jubilee. It does “that” modded Marshall sound as well as any Friedman or similar I’ve heard, plus a load of other tones with its split channel and really usable EQ. Does way more than Slash tones - Lead channel is pure fat Marshall rock and boost it for metal, Rhythm clip will do the less compressed JCM800 style tones. Clean is clean, whatever I don’t buy a Marshall for clean. If you try one out make sure you can get the master above 5/6ish (there’s a point where it fills out and the fizz disappears) and ideally through a 2x12 - sounds great with V30s and Creambacks. I have the combo which is good but I don’t feel like Greenbacks are the best match for it.

Friedman seem kinda cool and all but why not get the real thing made in the UK for cheaper? I don’t really get why people go elsewhere for modded Marshall when the Jubilee exists.
    edited October 2019
    o ok thanks a few ideas. 

Engl might be fragile
    Rivera might be a bit sterile
    The bognor might be limited in n features
    Jvm might be rather heavy
    The silver jubilee might give that god awful sloppy slash tone. 

Might need till stick with what I have. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Used Mesa Express? That would cover a lot of ground!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Or if you like your amp, get Dan Gower to mod it
  • Mesa Stiletto or Friedman 
  • Mesa Stiletto or Friedman 
    Ooooh Stilettos are not great, I’ve played a couple and been really unimpressed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    The silver jubilee night gave that good awful sloppy slash tone. 

This was exactly my point, it does way more than just that nasal fizzy sort of tone the premier guitar demo shows off some nice tones from the combo. I use it for a thick mid gain rock tone on the lead channel, best tone I’ve ever had from an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @mark_jwedge which Friedman were you thinking of
  • @fastonebaz Smallbox 50. You can get it in a 1x12, 50w and the two channels give access to more classic ‘plexi’ style tones and the higher gain more hot rodded sounds
  • If I ever moved on from my Top Hat Emplexador it would probably be for a small box 50
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Blackstar Ht50 or 40 combo with Greenbacks. Utterly reliable, gigged mine regularly for several years without a single issue and very much in the Marshall ballpark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom