What is similar to DSL40 but higher quality?

What's Hot

Comments

• There are two Mesa Boogie DC5 revision B's in the classifieds either of those would be a good fit. Physically the dimensions are almost identical.

Sonically the DC’s sit somewhere between the Mark and Recto series, so not identical to the Marshall sound, but I’m pretty sure you could get close :) 

Mesa’s build quality is pretty difficult to beat as well!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Is that a combo though? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244

There are two Mesa Boogie DC5 revision B's in the classifieds either of those would be a good fit. Physically the dimensions are almost identical.

Sonically the DC’s sit somewhere between the Mark and Recto series, so not identical to the Marshall sound, but I’m pretty sure you could get close :) 

Mesa’s build quality is pretty difficult to beat as well!

It's a great amp but it's very much not the answer to this question! Having used a DC-5 as my main amp for seven years, I would say the biggest thing it *can't* do is sound like a Marshall, at all. The clean channel is a bolder, tighter and slightly darker Fender BF-type (ie Mesa Mark) clean, and the dirty channel is an extremely middy, very Mesa Mark/Caliber series sound, unless you put the Graphic EQ on and scoop it heavily and then it gets a bit more like a Rectifier, but still very Mesa. It suited me perfectly at the time because I really didn't want anything that sounded like a Marshall or even remotely 'British' - it was at the end of the Britpop era and I was trying to avoid that sound as much as possible :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    katana? :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Check out the latest DSL range (DSL40CR):

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    @Voxman ; that's what I have currently. 
    edited October 2019
    @Voxman ;;;;;; that's what I have currently. 
    Sorry about that....as the OP was just headed DSL40 I thought you had the DSL40C that came out in 2012 to replace the DSL401, rather than the latest generation DSL40R that only came out last year.  I didn't twig the 'new era' bit.  Too many very similar model names! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • AFAIK there isn't really anything wrong with the quality of the newer DSL's. I think they're built quite well, again AFAIK.

Bye!

AFAIK there isn't really anything wrong with the quality of the newer DSL's. I think they're built quite well, again AFAIK.
    They're certainly better than the old ones, but they do have a few shortcomings which may cause trouble in the long term - they're still not in the same league as something like a Rivera.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Peavey Valveking?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Peavey Valveking?
    No!

I am usually a big fan of Peavey as you probably know... but not these. Average-sounding, not especially well-made, and the MkII needs to be avoided completely due to having a failure-prone 'valve monitoring system' which fries the main PCB and will lead to writing off the amp unless you want to take on some uneconomical reworking to bypass the system. Very much the worst kind of unnecessary complexity coupled with cheapness that @jpfamps mentioned in another thread.

That said, the one I scrapped recently did provide a very convenient replacement OT for the Engl Thunder :).

(And not the Classic 30 either, although the Classic 50 is a very good amp.)

• ICBM said:
    Peavey Valveking?
    No!

I am usually a big fan of Peavey as you probably know... but not these. Average-sounding, not especially well-made, and the MkII needs to be avoided completely due to having a failure-prone 'valve monitoring system' which fries the main PCB and will lead to writing off the amp unless you want to take on some uneconomical reworking to bypass the system. Very much the worst kind of unnecessary complexity coupled with cheapness that @jpfamps mentioned in another thread.

That said, the one I scrapped recently did provide a very convenient replacement OT for the Engl Thunder :).

(And not the Classic 30 either, although the Classic 50 is a very good amp.)
    Plus it sounds shit! :dizzy: 

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

Actually you're right... average was too kind. It's remarkably flat and lifeless-sounding for a fairly powerful valve amp.

The dsl40cr does it all in paper.  Multiple voicing,  cleans,  crunch,  filthy,  reverb,  decent eq, dual master volume,  fx loop,  etc Good price.  Great tone especially with a neo creamback.  Nothing really wrong with mine.  Makes me sound great.   Just wondering what the next level up was. 
  • The dsl40cr does it all in paper.  Multiple voicing,  cleans,  crunch,  filthy,  reverb,  decent eq, dual master volume,  fx loop,  etc Good price.  Great tone especially with a neo creamback.  Nothing really wrong with mine.  Makes me sound great.   Just wondering what the next level up was. 
    two amps at once!!!

Bye!

ICBM said:
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

Actually you're right... average was too kind. It's remarkably flat and lifeless-sounding for a fairly powerful valve amp.
    Beat me to it. One of the worst amps I've ever had the misfortune to have played. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    The dsl40cr does it all in paper.  Multiple voicing,  cleans,  crunch,  filthy,  reverb,  decent eq, dual master volume,  fx loop,  etc Good price.  Great tone especially with a neo creamback.  Nothing really wrong with mine.  Makes me sound great.   Just wondering what the next level up was. 
    Just get a Friedman or a Carr Mercury V and have done with it, @fastonebaz ;
    @Lebarque ;
    Pah, I wev rrrudly in the jeneral derection of yore 16 watts .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    @Lebarque ;
    Pah, I wev rrrudly in the jeneral derection of yore 16 watts .
    Is that English?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31503
    Funnily enough, someone offered me a fully working DSL401 yesterday for £120, so I looked at the schematic online and turned him down. 

I don't need that nonsense in my life, no wonder they keep breaking!