Expression pedal for G3, doubling as normal volume pedal?

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
I'm interested in getting an expression pedal for my g3, but after reading some threads on other forums, it seems that some normal volume pedals work too (but some need to have the input jack filled). I would like to get one that would double as a volume pedal for my regular board. 

Currently looking at the boss FV-50H/L because I would like it to be compact and light so that I can bung it in my gig bag. Would these work? I assume I would need the high impedance ones since I intend to put it pre-effects.

I've done some google-ing but there is no answer that' s particularly helpful with this particular question.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    the stuff I read on the expression pedal for the g3 was it worked best with a stereo jack

if you've not seen this resource before it's a proper playground! http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Thanks Frankus! The FP-02 is the recommended pedal for the G3, but I'll have a look at the FP-01, since that can function as a volume pedal separately. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Any volume pedal will work correctly as an expression pedal with the Zoom, but you will need a Y-cable if it doesn't have a dedicated expression pedal jack. Plug the stereo end of the cable into the G3 and the two mono ends into the In and Out of one channel on the volume pedal - I can't remember which way round, but trying the wrong way will do no harm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Thanks alot @ICBM, that cleared things up completely. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    IIRC a volume pedal usually has a 250k -> 500k pot in it aaaannd most expression pedals work around the 50k range.

Wouldn't there need to be a resistor or two thrown in on the stereo jack to change the pot law?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Nah, you can just use an insert cable. I've been doing it this weekend with my Ernie Ball Vol. Jnr.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    frankus said:
    IIRC a volume pedal usually has a 250k -> 500k pot in it aaaannd most expression pedals work around the 50k range.

Wouldn't there need to be a resistor or two thrown in on the stereo jack to change the pot law?
    If it's a proper 'potential divider' (three connections, stereo cable) type then the pot value won't matter, since it's just the ratio of the voltage that it's sensing.

If it's a simple purely resistive type (two connections, mono cable) then it will matter.

As far as I know all volume pedals and expression pedals I've ever seen have been linear pots, but I might be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein