Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Atkin The Forty Three

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Great feedback, thanks. All brilliant guitars, we're wonderfully spoilt for choice these days. The Atkin J43 certainly comes in at a more accessible price point though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you guys are more knowledgable and finely tuned to the nuances of different models than me. I took it to a luthier and had a different bone nut and saddle installed on his advice. I've never been 100% satisfied with it since then. The action is better (for me), but the top E seems a little lack lustre when plucked open, so I can't but think there's something up with either nut, saddle or frets. It just sounds quieter on the open string.

Generally the playability is good though, I don't get as the hand fatigue playing it as when I first got it. I'm tempted to swap the nut & saddle back to stock and see what difference that makes. I do ponder selling it from time to time though if I'm honest, I just think I want a smaller acoustic, I find myself still lusting after a 00 size. I'm 40 this year and a 00-28 Reimagined is calling me!! Ha! But the J43 is such a pretty guitar still and it gives a great sound, which sweetens when strummed softer.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Are you too far away to take it to Alister near Canterbury @greggreg66? He would sort it for you.
  • I think you guys are more knowledgable and finely tuned to the nuances of different models than me. I took it to a luthier and had a different bone nut and saddle installed on his advice. I've never been 100% satisfied with it since then. The action is better (for me), but the top E seems a little lack lustre when plucked open, so I can't but think there's something up with either nut, saddle or frets. It just sounds quieter on the open string.

Generally the playability is good though, I don't get as the hand fatigue playing it as when I first got it. I'm tempted to swap the nut & saddle back to stock and see what difference that makes. I do ponder selling it from time to time though if I'm honest, I just think I want a smaller acoustic, I find myself still lusting after a 00 size. I'm 40 this year and a 00-28 Reimagined is calling me!! Ha! But the J43 is such a pretty guitar still and it gives a great sound, which sweetens when strummed softer.
    That's the nut causing the string to be be pinched, assuming it's multiple sets of strings. First try some steel wool to clear the slot, if that does not work, either get some nut files or a decent tech. The nut files option is quite easy with care.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    edited February 2021
    Not defending Martin particularly but on the "Martins have high action" issue. Yes they do. When they ship. Lots of new acoustics do. It's deliberate.

The thinking is that some fingerstyle players prefer high actions. Lowering the action on a new Martin is usually just a matter of sanding an amount off the bottom of the bridge saddle until you have lowered the action to your taste. Preferably using a measure. A lot of players might be confident enough to do that themselves. It doesn't alter much about the guitar and you can always buy another saddle if you cock it up. A lot of people might change to their favourite saddle material (often bone) and would need to go through this process anyway. Needing to alter the neck relief as a component of lowering the action is much less common.

Also, raising the action is more difficult. A full setup is a job for a tech or a luthier. So better to ship with an easy to adjust slightly high action.

IMHO very few new instruments on today's sophisticated market can be criticised for shipping with a high action really. I would expect to see it quite often and know it was an easy fix. Learning how to differentiate poor neck relief from high action at the bridge is a simple and worthwhile exercise for anyone buying. Or take a mate.

I'm sure there are some outliers that people have come across but a producer wouldn't last long in today's market shipping consistently bad setup.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    tomjax said:
    Very interesting thread. I've been looking at the J43 model too, it looks a lovely guitar and Atkins build quality is superb (I have a couple of his guitars), but I've been put off by the fact that they've got a 43mm nut width.  I'm slightly baffled by this as I don't believe a J45 has ever had a 43mm nut, and from what I've read the early ones (including the '43 vintage) had 45mm/1.75" nut width.

I know it's possible to get one custom made, but I've been looking at the 2nd hand market, so I don't think I'll have much luck. Maybe if I get to play one the string spacing will feel ok.

My other Atkins (an OM and an L-1) both have very shallow C-neck profiles, so the fat D-neck may be unique to the J43.

I did talk to Alister at the Guitar Show last year.  They can do different neck profiles, which is what I was interested in.  I'm sure they could accomodate a different nut width.  I much prefer 1 11/16" to 1 3/4" though.  As far as I'm concerned, Atkin have got that right, and the current generation of Martins have got that wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebear said:
    Not in any way wanting to cut across the logic of this thread  (I have been through the gamut of hand/wrist problems over the years), but having played as a pro for the last (bloody hell !) 41 years, the best thing I have discovered is regular upper body, including arm and hand exercises. I have done these as part of my daily workout for the last 20 years and even though things tend to ache more and more I have no issues with changing from huge old necks to violin, regularly playing a longer than long scale guitar with 13's to a vintage 1-13/16 V neck with 12's. Playing an instrument is painful and challenging because you are asking your muscles to reform to doing something quite difficult. Basically, if you love the 43 ( and you should ) work towards letting it become part of you, that does not happen in hours ,weeks or, quite often, months. 

@artiebear ; Any tips on specific exercises?  Thanks.
  • artiebear said:
    Not in any way wanting to cut across the logic of this thread  (I have been through the gamut of hand/wrist problems over the years), but having played as a pro for the last (bloody hell !) 41 years, the best thing I have discovered is regular upper body, including arm and hand exercises. I have done these as part of my daily workout for the last 20 years and even though things tend to ache more and more I have no issues with changing from huge old necks to violin, regularly playing a longer than long scale guitar with 13's to a vintage 1-13/16 V neck with 12's. Playing an instrument is painful and challenging because you are asking your muscles to reform to doing something quite difficult. Basically, if you love the 43 ( and you should ) work towards letting it become part of you, that does not happen in hours ,weeks or, quite often, months. 

@artiebear ; Any tips on specific exercises?  Thanks.
    I combine twists from the waist with keeping my elbows out straight at shoulder height while the lower arm is bent inwards with hands straight at upper chest height. Keeping the arms up at that angle while exercising strengthen the lower arm. While doing this I am closing and opening each hand, which stretches the tendons.  It might sound a bit crazy, but the twists help the back and upper body muscles to deal with hours of playing, especially with heavier guitars and bass. The keeping the arms up brings strength to the shoulders and each arm, while the hand exercises are great for loosening tight tendons. The only way I know it works, is when I get lazy and don't do it for a few days and feel the tendons getting tighter and playing bigger bodied acoustic guitars or heavier guitars for long periods brings more aches and pains.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @artiebear ; Thanks for that.
  • artiebear said:

That's the nut causing the string to be be pinched, assuming it's multiple sets of strings. First try some steel wool to clear the slot, if that does not work, either get some nut files or a decent tech. The nut files option is quite easy with care.
    Hi Artie, not sure that's the issue tbh as it's been to the tech a couple of times and he's addressed cleaning it out, so I don't think it's being pinched. I've had a tight nut (lol) before and it's a noticeable thing.... but for good measure I will look into it. I have a top E 10 gauge nut file so I can at least hit it with that (I appreciate that's a bit finer than a 12 gauge).

Jimbro66 said:
    Are you too far away to take it to Alister near Canterbury @greggreg66? He would sort it for you.
    I'm not a million miles away @Jimbro66, I'm London based. The thought had crossed my mind to take it back to him to see what he/they could do with it. Tbh the corner of the bridge has lifted very slightly so it could/should go back under warranty. By lifted I mean it's not 100% glued down and there's a very slight gap on the bass side. 

DavidR said: Not defending Martin particularly but on the "Martins have high action" issue. Yes they do. When they ship. Lots of new acoustics do. It's deliberate.

I totally accept this. This is an old post so I understand how they are shipped and why, in terms of action etc. Considering the sheer amount of technology at Martin (and many, many other manufacturers) it's absolutely purposeful the way they ship them out. I still want a 00-28!!
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 38
    Despite everything that's going on in this thread I have to say that's a cracking sunburst!
  • I had the same problem with my 43. I was struggling with it a little. I live fairly close to the workshop and had taken it in before. It had a truss rod adjustment but after a while I was getting buzzing on the top E so re-adjusted it myself, leaving me back where I was before. This time one of the luthiers took some off the saddle and now it plays much better for me. I was worried that adjusting the saddle would affect the built in pickup, but it's fine. While I was there I had a chance to play one of Alister's new electric range. Those things are going to fly!!
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited December 2021
    Something puts me off Atkin. Not sure why exactly but some of this thread supports it…high action, nut and saddle change etc. Surely the reason for choosing a boutique builder over Gibson is to avoid these issues. 

Rip off designs rankle a bit too. The Gibson 50s original J-45 looks like a winner to me. 
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Something puts me off Atkin. Not sure why exactly but some of this thread supports it…high action, nut and saddle change etc. Surely the reason for choosing a boutique builder over Gibson is to avoid these issues. 

Rip off designs rankle a bit too. The Gibson 50s original J-45 looks like a winner to me. 
    I tried lots of Gibsons prior to buying my Atkin The 43… to be fair, there wasnt a single Gibson that came close to it. As ever, ymmv.
  • My 47 was perfect out of the box. Massively better than every mahogany Gibson I've ever tried. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    TINMAN82 said:

Had a 43 - it was 'OK'. Nothing particularly endeared it to me, but in fairness I should have done what I do with all acoustics now - get a low action set up. It wouldn't stop me from trying another one - I really wanted a 43 because of it's back story, being a great Buddy Holly fan.

I've recently had a 50's original J-45. Sold it because the neck was a bit too chunky for me, but it was a nice enough guitar.
    Call me Dave.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Fair do’s. Need to try one then, have never seen one in a shop. Looks like they come in at least £700 more than a J-45.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    TINMAN82 said:
    Fair do’s. Need to try one then, have never seen one in a shop. Looks like they come in at least £700 more than a J-45.

From feel and sound (and obviously I've only had one example of each) - there wasn't enough difference for me to want to spend a lot more on a 43, if I was buying new. Just my thoughts as a fairly hopeless acoustic player.
    Call me Dave.
  • Must admit that I rarely play it these days. I think it could probably do with another truss rod tweak..... but I'm still not convinced I'm going to keep it. It sounds lovely and I've got used to the neck, but I think the allure of a smaller bodied acoustic is more what I'm after. I did rather stupidly strum it a bit over eagerly on NYE and put a few more pick marks on it (massive face palm), so no doubt if it did hit the classifieds I'll pay for that.... although it is a relic so it's not out of place by any means thankfully!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom