James Bond returns

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't see Cillian Murphy as James Bond at all.

Doable but that's not it. I value Murphy as an actor - very much, but wouldn't make great Bond imho.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    FastEddie said:
    I work for a Military charity which focuses on Motorsport. We're all walking around with trouser tents after watching that trailer.
    Who cares that the spent cartridges from the weapons aren't there and he seems to have a lot of vintage Astons in the wrong colour

Having seen stills from the film the DB5 is certainly the right Silver Birch colour. The filmmakers have given the film a sepia tint which may explain why the DB5 has a strange hue.

Aston Martin press release:

Working with Bond film producers EON productions, Aston Martin will be building 25 1964-spec DB5s, painting them in Silver Birch and then kitting them out with faithful reproductions of the original spy gadgets 007 used in Goldfinger.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Cillian Murphy is too pretty to be Bond IMO. Bond is supposed to be intelligent but utterly brutal and thuggish. Tom Hardy would be a great choice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The bookies favourite last year was James Norton after he played Alex in McMafia on BBC One.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    Ah well solution found for the feminists.

Spoiler alert:

Apparently James Bond has a daughter in the new film who goes on to be a spy - Jane Bond perhaps? The franchise is expanding. And woman of the hour, whose idea it was, Phobe Waller-Bridge will write the script.

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Fretwired said:

Spoiler alert:

Apparently James Bond has a daughter in the new film who goes on to be a spy - Jane Bond perhaps? The franchise is expanding. And woman of the hour, whose idea it was, Phobe Waller-Bridge will write the script.

Is nothing fucking sacred
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    Fretwired said:

Spoiler alert:

Is nothing fucking sacred
    Given his favourite hobbies, it’s hardly a surprise!!!!!!

I’m up for them changing tack, though I do agree that JB is escapism and doesn’t need to reflect real-life. We’re in the process of watching all of them at the moment and it’s always a bit eye-opening to see how utterly unacceptable some of the behaviour and scripting in the early ones would be today. My point is, the JB-franchise has already been changing with the times, why not change the gender too?

As a counter-point, Tom Hardy is an ideal (although possibly too obvious) candidate for the role, plus he’s somewhat coyish about his own sexuality and happy to keep the public and press guessing, so they could have fun with that in the new movies. Who’s to say that JB wouldn’t entertain playing the role of the honeytrap for once, eh?! God save the Queen. ;)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    Looks great fun visually festive and suitably ridiculous. i'm in.... :)
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    Obviously one plot device used in Bond is sex. 
    Now if we had a female Bond that would be a device actually much easier for a female spy to use (men are more likely to say yes to a woman, than a woman to say yes to a man), BUT that in turn will have people up in arms, and I can see the headlines now. "License to prostitute", "Jane slut Bond". 
    So that plot devise would have to be dropped. Or is it time to use James Bond to say. It's been OK for men to be permiscuous it's ok for you now.
    ^ I don’t agree that it should be dropped, “slut-shaming” absolutely should though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Thought that Eva Green amd Olga Kurylenko had great female co-leads in JB films. I've enjoyed all the Daniel Craig outings, he's been the truest to the books and the least camp/kitsch.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Thought that Eva Green amd Olga Kurylenko had great female co-leads in JB films. I've enjoyed all the Daniel Craig outings, he's been the truest to the books and the least camp/kitsch.
    Likewise, best Bond yet.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Craig is really good but I still prefer Dalton. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I think Dalton could have been great if he'd got the job at a different time - if he'd been 10 years older or 10 years younger - but I don't like either of those two films.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Philly_Q said:
    I think Dalton could have been great if he'd got the job at a different time - if he'd been 10 years older or 10 years younger - but I don't like either of those two films.
    I think that Living Daylights is hands down the best Bond film to be honest. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Must be quite a headscratcher wondering when to release this now. If they wait until they can do a world wide cinema release that's going to be well into 2021. I wonder if they've been talking to Netflix et al about streaming it. Presumably the cost of making these things are from loans/ investments from people who were expecting a return by now. 

Philly_Q said:
    That was on a couple of weeks ago and I watched maybe twenty minutes of it. I'm struggling for the exact word but it looked very staged compared to the Craig era films but without the benefit of the earlier films of having sixties/ seventies kitsch. Probably needs another ten years before it's properly matured. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    If they have any sense they'll watch Tenet's release and not make a decision until after that. 

I'd happily go to a cinema now if clean and properly socially-distanced (in reality probably max 30% capacity or so) but it'll be interesting to see how they open up over the coming weeks and months. 

In Dubai they're doing private screenings so you can hire a smaller screen for up to 10 people, pay about 100 quid and pick from a list of about 25 recent movies to see. Abu Dhabi screens are all still closed.

On Dalton, I agree he was great, but License to Kill is terrible. I loved Living Daylights as a kid but haven't seen it in at least 15 years so would reserve judgement. I thought Brosnan was also excellent but only given 1.8 good films out of 4 (Goldeneye and most of TND) then it descended into utter parody. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    edited June 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    That was on a couple of weeks ago and I watched maybe twenty minutes of it. I'm struggling for the exact word but it looked very staged compared to the Craig era films but without the benefit of the earlier films of having sixties/ seventies kitsch. Probably needs another ten years before it's properly matured. 

The best way I can describe the two Dalton movies is that they don't feel very "British" to me.  All the others do, despite the amount of time spent in exotic locations, and as you hinted they also capture the feel of the decades they were made in.  The Dalton movies are of their time too, but they look and feel like very generic 1980s American action movies.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Philly_Q said:

The best way I can describe the two Dalton movies is that they don't feel very "British" to me.  All the others do, despite the amount of time spent in exotic locations, and as you hinted they also capture the feel of the decades they were made in.  The Dalton movies are of their time too, but they look and feel like very generic 1980s American action movies.
    This. Dalton should have been a great Bond, but the films really missed the mark.

For me the best will always be the first five with Connery - particularly From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball.

But I honestly think it's probably run its course and I don't really care what they do with it now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Daniel Craig is my favourite Bond. Then Connery. Also think all the Craig films are great, even QOS. Love Spectre as well. 
    Bring on the new one, looks ace.
    As for the next Bond, no idea, but I am sure he will be spot on as the franchise has done so well in recent years.