The Importance Of An EQ Pedal - A New Journey...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
edited December 2019 in FX
BACKGROUND

Guitars used:   Fender Masterbuilt Jason Smith '63 Strat, Suhr Alt T Pro

Amps used:     Matchless Nighthawk, 3rd Power Wooly Coats MKII

I don't know what influences your current GAS and amp/pedal journey; for me, it is often a combination of

i.)  Need - the band/rehearsal and at home

ii.) Desire - the root of GAS

iiil) Funds - naturally

iv.) Circumstance - whats around at the time

For me, the discovery of a Matchless Nighthawk amp at the right time, and the right price, meant that my 'band' journey forked off into a new direction. 

As Ive already documented, it is a wonderful, truly 3D sounding amp (at volume). I feel very lucky to own it. It meant the forced sale of my beloved Carr Mercury V (one that I may yet regret), but it also means a potential change in pedals.

The Nighthawk has two main problems that need solving; firstly, it is an amp with lots of treble, and secondly it is a lot more picky than (all) Carrs regarding pedals.

It is the former that forms the basis of this thread. The Matchless, I felt, would benefit with an EQ pedal just to tame and redirect those 'trebles' a wee bit...

THE EQ PEDAL JOURNEY

So, the journey began. Where to start ?

Someone recommended the Boss GE7, which must have sold 1000s in its time. I tried one, and it was instantly too noisy for the 3 amps I tried it with. I'd already tried the Thorpy FX Team Medic at this point, and it was very good indeed. The boost option was maybe too powerful, but the EQ was exceptional.

In the past, Id owned and relished the Cornish CC1, which still has one of the best EQ sections Ive played to date. None around used though, and the new option was too expensive and too far away...

I'd tried an EQD Tone Job in the past, as well as a Bearfoot/BJFE Sea Blue EQ - both exceptional but again, none around (circumstance - see above). 

Then, I purchased a Wampler Equator and a Boss GE7 (Analogman modded). At last we are getting somewhere. 

The Wampler could generate any sound, and could do clipped OD and heavier tones. The EQuator gives you active four-band EQ with Bass and Treble boosts/cuts, and two semi-parametric mid bands, all passing through a volume knob allowing you to deliver the EQ louder or softer. So, at times, one of the great EQ benefits I enjoyed was to make my amp quieter then switch it off so the amp returns to its normal volume. Silent in use too, and lovely to use.

The GE7 was not quite as quiet, but I really enjoyed using the slides. I'll be honest, I don't know what frequency mids run at (do you ?) and the Boss has helped me learn it. I bought a second very quickly, as I may run two small boards for a while (live/band and home).

I'm still learning with them, and I like the sound of the Wampler better, but the convenience (heavy foot stomp live) of the Boss.

I'd still like to try maybe...

1. Source Audio EQ - programmable - could be useful between amps

2. EQD Tone Job - simply because I'm a fan-boy of EQD pedals !

The Wampler and one of the GE7s may be up for grabs soon...

WHAT HAVE I LEARNT ?

1. A good EQ pedal can replace a boost.

2. A good EQ pedal can replace a LOT of overdrives.

3. Your tone can be shaped to the 'sound in your head'. 

4. The EQ pedal can help and improve your amp; any amp.

Do you use any EQ ? How do you do it ?

Hope this inspires some of you !

Cheers,
Waz

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I run two amps and I have an eq (MXR) in front of one for two reasons really. 1 to cut some lows stopping muddiness and 2 boost some mids warming the amp up a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As a Source Audio EQ - programmable  user - the preset function is super useful - if you have a midi programmable switcher or a pedal ie a timeline then you can use the presets against aspects of your pedalboard / amp sound - bit of bass cut on a fuzz ; more hump for your mids with a transparent overdrive; muddy LP neck pickup cure  etc - its quiet - though will focus other noise in your signal chain for sure ..

main issue is it doesnt have sliders - so not so immediate as a GE7 / MXR 10 etc - but  its 7 +1 as has a very low sub cut boost - defeated as std  .. and has a good dollop of boost too ..

ironically I have used a behringer boss copy - to determine what I want from the SA and then mimic to taste .

Great tool on a pedalboard - definitely a contender ...

NB havent tried the FTT 10 band or Boss 10 band programmables
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    interesting thread @Wazmeister not an option I have tried to date
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    For years I avoided graphic EQ pedals, considering them the province of those desperate to compensate for the shortcomings of their guitars and amps - hark at me, eh!

Then I came across a YT video of someone (shnobel?) demoing an EQ pedal in the loop of a DMM TT. I tried it on mine using the graphic in a digital multi-fx pedal and kaboom, instant massive boost in flexibility. I picked up a used MXR 6-Band on eBay and it’s now a permanent fixture on my ‘board (as much as any pedal can be!) as an adjunct to my DMM. I use it either with a treble boost for more pronounced rhythmic delays, or a treble roll-off to make the repeats sit further back in the mix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2190
    Interesting.  Never experimented with an eq pedal, but I'm mainly playing a single pickup guitar, so maybe something I should try. 
  • Keefy said:
    For years I avoided graphic EQ pedals, considering them the province of those desperate to compensate for the shortcomings of their guitars and amps - hark at me, eh!

Yes, I had the same opinion too.

I remember asking how I could boost my amp sounds many many years ago (Sound Control Bham ??), and 'Mikey' (a local legend) told me to get a GE7 and use that...

This was before guitar shops had picked up on the forums and our more refined (?!?!) knowledge.

I should've listened.

• Fishboy7 said:
    Interesting.  Never experimented with an eq pedal, but I'm mainly playing a single pickup guitar, so maybe something I should try. 
    Yes. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I'm going to get crucified but here we go:
    The Boss GE-7 is brilliant.*
    But it's fucking grey.
    I don't want a pedal on my board that emotionally connects me with Windows 95.

*can be a bit noisy which is often not a real world issue with my typical gig settings but might be if I cleaned up a bit.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6683
    Can I give a shout out to the Thorpy Team medic as another wonderful EQ option, with added clean boost too. My week with it in a tourbox was a revelation. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Grunfeld said:
    I'm going to get crucified but here we go:
    The Boss GE-7 is brilliant.*
    But it's fucking grey.
    I don't want a pedal on my board that emotionally connects me with Windows 95.

*can be a bit noisy which is often not a real world issue with my typical gig settings but might be if I cleaned up a bit.
    It’s not grey is more ‘beige’ =)

The standard one is noisy, hence silent models like Thorpy and Wampler appearing....

The Analogman GE7 mod is totally silent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Danelectro fish n chips s a great little eq. It’s really quiet and does a great job. I moved on to the SA eq as I wanted the presets, but I still keep the little Dano around as it’s so nice. A great way to see if eq is useful for you as can be picked up for about £15 on ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just picked up a Mesa 5 Band Graphic EQ to go with my Orange AD140 which seems to get a little lost in a 2 gtr band mix.
    fingers crossed!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255

No it can't. Not unless it adds overdrive, which a *good* EQ pedal does not.

It can replace a lot of boosts, but that's not the same thing at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

No it can't. Not unless it adds overdrive, which a *good* EQ pedal does not.

It can replace a lot of boosts, but that's not the same thing at all.
    Must just be my ears... adding volume and mid range boosts to my amps seem to produce overdrive sounds.., must be me.

Mind you, Im not using a Peavey Bandit ;)
    Wazmeister said:

Must just be my ears... adding volume and mid range boosts to my amps seem to produce overdrive sounds.., must be me.

That's your amp overdriving, not the pedal. Try it into a Fender Twin and see how much overdrive it produces.

I find this mixing up of boosts and overdrives baffling, to be honest - they do different things, which can be confused when the amp isn't clean, but that doesn't mean they do the same thing. Why not just use the right terms?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Wazmeister said:

That's your amp overdriving, not the pedal. Try it into a Fender Twin and see how much overdrive it produces.

I find this mixing up of boosts and overdrives baffling, to be honest - they do different things, which can be confused when the amp isn't clean, but that doesn't mean they do the same thing. Why not just use the right terms?
    Maybe some of us lack your knowledge and terminology?

Either way, the outcome is the same for me with my amps.

My amps will be clipping maybe, so the need for more OD is not always necessary. Either way again, the result is that ill probably release some of my OD pedals.

But a fair point ICBM into a clean clean amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wazmeister said:

Maybe some of us lack your knowledge and terminology?
    I just don't think it's useful to confuse things unnecessarily.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Wazmeister said:

I played a Carr a couple of uses ago (the rambler perhaps) that was essentially a clean amp, but it had a switchable mid boost that when cranked just popped the amp over the edge into a very, very mid forward and extremely pleasing growly type sound that gives the impression that the eq boost adds the dirt.

• ICBM said:
    Wazmeister said:

I played a Carr a couple of uses ago (the rambler perhaps) that was essentially a clean amp, but it had a switchable mid boost that when cranked just popped the amp over the edge into a very, very mid forward and extremely pleasing growly type sound that gives the impression that the eq boost adds the dirt.

Yep, thats my experience too.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've found an EQ pedal really handy for both my amps, the Mesa Maverick has full EQ but because it cascades I don't want to touch it for fine tuning. A quick twiddle with the EQ does the trick when swapping guitars. 

On the other end of the spectrum the Tone King Falcon has a volume and a tone control, equally the EQ pedal gives me the control that the amp doesn't. 

I use the Thorpy Team Medic for EQ.