The Importance Of An EQ Pedal - A New Journey...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Matt_McG said:
    @lukedlb I was reading that recently and wondering about replacing my main low gain drive pedal(s) with something of that ilk: Team Medic, Lehle Julian, Heavy Water, Unit67, etc

As I realised I use them more for compression and EQ than grit.
    Exactly what Waz in on about. At first, I was curious about the Unit67; it's the API Tranzformer that leads the pack (and the huge expense). Please keep us updated about your choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited December 2019
    One of the first things I bought on here was a Mooer Graphic G that was going cheap. It's been on and off my board for a few years now, but it's finally found what I think may be a (semi) permanent home at the end of 3 boosts/drives going in to the front of the amp. I use it for shaping the drive and gives me some very different sounds. In particular, there's a Fredric Effects Unpleasant Companion there that can be a little bit wild (in an awesome way), and really benefits from some judicious tone shaping.

I also have an M5 at the start of the chain. It has various EQ options - I haven't used it much like that yet but this thread has given me some ideas.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Try a Tim pedal with an eq pedal in the Tim’s fx loop
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited October 2021
    Calling all EQ users, and Source Audio users in particular, please can you post pics of your eq curves on here, maybe with a brief description of what they do. I recently got one and an trying to work out how to dial it in. 

I think my use cases will be:
    Solo boost (on gain channel)
    Slight bass cut (for green Russian Big muff)
    Slight treble cut (to make cleans warmer)
    Mid boost (gain channel, for qotsa type tones)

What I've learned so far is that small changes in settings make big differences.

My amp is a Marshall DSL20C, if it matters?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I use a WMD 3 band parametric always on last in chain now. I dial in a bump in the upper mids to wake things up, boost the highs a smidge and a put slight cut somewhere in the high bass or low mids. This makes the guitar sound clearer in the mix. Nothing a decent sound engineer wouldn't do but I like the idea of it hitting the front of my amp that way
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:
    Calling all EQ users, and Source Audio users in particular, please can you post pics of your eq curves on here, maybe with a brief description of what they do. I recently got one and an trying to work out how to dial it in. 

I think my use cases will be:
    Solo boost (on gain channel)
    Slight bass cut (for green Russian Big muff)
    Slight treble cut (to make cleans warmer)
    Mid boost (gain channel, for qotsa type tones)

What I've learned so far is that small changes in settings make big differences.

My amp is a Marshall DSL20C, if it matters?

If you like metal Lamb Choppers does lots of videos with a DSL 20 and an EQ to get various metal tones
  • I've never understood the hate for eq pedals, especially when:

- pretty much all recorded tones go through some kind of eq stage 
    - they can do so many clever things and no one will think "oh, they've got an eq pedal on there".

With extreme settings they can be really fun, but used subtly can just correct sounds from the room - for example you might be happy with your rehearsal settings but then the gig has more hard flooring and you're getting lots of piercing treble. Solution? Just knock those treble sliders at the end of your board down a hair. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    An EQ is the biggest secret weapon you can have in your tone armoury. 

I have a GE7 as the last pedal on my pedalboard, and I have a mini pedalboard in the fx loop of my AD120VTX Valvetronix together with a BBE Sonic Stomp and BBE Boosta Grand. 

Before you spend fortunes, time and effort in swapping pick ups and guitar speakers, try an EQ and experiment with the settings.  In the fx loop it will give you a clean tonal variation. In front of your amp it will act as a gain boost. 

Hugely versatile. There are also EQs that let you save and instantly recall your favourite settings ( I used to have a twin pedal 10 band Boss EQ20 that could save 10 settings). 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2021
    I've started using an EQ in the loop again, had forgot how useful it can be. I'm currently using it as a "song dynamics" switch pedal - I have a slight volume cut and mid scoop which I turn on for verses, then turn it off for the full beans sounds for choruses and "loud" riff sections to give them more impact. I don't know if anyone else will even notice but I enjoy it and feel like it helps with a 1 guitar heavy band so it's not always a consistent wall of guitar, and works better than turning my front end boost on/off as the chugs stay tight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom