General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    My mate is always banging on about Farm Sim 87 or something, but I really don't get these games either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How are the steam decks?

Me and ladyprettydamned are getting a handheld for Christmas this year (hopefully) and were looking at the switch, but the steam deck does look good. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12323
    edited July 2022
    How are the steam decks?

Me and ladyprettydamned are getting a handheld for Christmas this year (hopefully) and were looking at the switch, but the steam deck does look good. 
    I highly doubt you will get it by Christmas if you pre-order now, I know the ETA is after Q2 but I don't think it will happen.

I have both (Original Switch) and the deck yesterday.  The Deck is quite heavy for a handheld, you will get tired after 20mins - 30mins I expect.

The docked experience so far, I've tried it on the monitor and my OLED TV (via a Reciever).  Both works first time.  It actually works with 1 cable charging and data with USB-C but if passed through a dongle the dongle needs to be quite a recent one.  Mine from 2018, even with power pass through doesn't do it.  So I had to use HDMI from the dongle, whereas if I plugged the deck direct to the monitor it works.

You need a dongle because Valve decided only put in 1 USB port, my keyboard is Bluetooth but the mouse is wired, and I think even the Logitech MX mouses need their little USB dongle.  I don't have other bluetooth mouse to try though.

I think if you are going to get one...the base 64G deck might be where the smart money is, since the speed from SD card is 95-99% of the internal, even vs NVME in the 512G, and it's like £200 cheaper.  I picked up a 1TB SD card from Amazon last week for £88. so that's like 40% of the cost but more than double the storage.

As for the screen, you can put on a anti-glare screen protector if you want but I find glossy screen look better than matt anyway, plus Valve are selling the screen as spare parts now so if you do scratch it, you can replace it.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    Just got tracking details for mine.  Still in the Netherlands so I think I was being overly optimistic thinking I'd have it by the end of the week.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    strange xbox series x question, i updated some games to series x versions but now want to go back to xbox one versions (to save space on my internal ssd drive.

the problem is that the console won't let me play the games anymore unless i install them on internal ssd drive again (i uninstalled the games from ssd and redownloaded them to external drive but it keeps saying i cannot play the games on external drive any more?)

any way to sort this issue?

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

strange xbox series x question, i updated some games to series x versions but now want to go back to xbox one versions (to save space on my internal ssd drive.

the problem is that the console won't let me play the games anymore unless i install them on internal ssd drive again (i uninstalled the games from ssd and redownloaded them to external drive but it keeps saying i cannot play the games on external drive any more?)

any way to sort this issue?

Series X versions can only run off internal or the expensive add on memory storage.

External USB storage can run older games. 
    thanks @RaymondLin

they are all xbox one games that can be optimized for series x console that i had installed to ssd memory and updating the games to series x version. 

i then uninstalled them from ssd memory to try and save space and re-install them back to xbox one versions again but now the console won't let me do that (i have to keep them on ssd drive enhanced version now).it won't give me the option to return them to xbox one version of the game.

apologies for the long winded post btw.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4905
    thanks @RaymondLin

they are all xbox one games that can be optimized for series x console that i had installed to ssd memory and updating the games to series x version. 

i then uninstalled them from ssd memory to try and save space and re-install them back to xbox one versions again but now the console won't let me do that (i have to keep them on ssd drive enhanced version now).it won't give me the option to return them to xbox one version of the game.

apologies for the long winded post btw.

I think you can only download the best version for that console.  If you want the non updated Xbox Series X version, you would have to use the Xbox One to download them onto the external drive, then run them from the Series X or copy them from the external drive back to the Series X SSD.

This is from Microsoft-

“Smart Delivery makes sure that you get the best available version for the console you are playing on. If the Xbox Series X optimized version is available, that’s the only version available to download and install on Xbox Series X consoles for all players of the game.”
    Yes, if you installed an optimised version for SX then it will need to be run internally. 
    edited July 2022
    ah thank you @menamestom @RaymondLin ;;; yes it seems once updated to series x version you cannot go back.

i just had an idea actually (vary rare for me lol) am going to reinstall them via my xb1 to my external hdd and see if that solves the issue (hopefully it might).

edit i tried the xb1 thing above but it still says about needing to go to hdd and upgrade the game for most of the xb1/series x upgraded games (skyrim though is fine as is mass effect trilogy remastered). looks like i will have to save for an ssd card that costs an arm/leg.

• Thanks @RaymondLin - sounds too big and heavy tbh, I think a switch that's easier to get is possibly better for us. But that was helpful! 
    edited July 2022
    Thanks @RaymondLin - sounds too big and heavy tbh, I think a switch that's easier to get is possibly better for us. But that was helpful! 
    I would say it is big and it is heavier than a Switch but it has nice ergonomics so you could hold it for a while.  It also comes with a nice case (with handle) so you can take it anywhere in a backpack.  However it's not pocketable, it also generates quite a lot of heat, if you put your face near the vents at the top you can feel hot air coming out of it.  You can't get away from physics i suppose and the fact that it is heavier would means you will feel it after a while.

I like gadgets so I bought one but I think the Switch might still be a better choice if you want a smoother experience, especially the OLED version.  

If you are getting the Deck, get the base version.  If you want more Storage, put in a 1TB SD card.  If you want an anti-glare screen, put on an anti-glare screen protector for £20.

Also, the base version's hardware isn't using the NVME drive slot, so if you are feeling brave, and there is an official guide to tear down the Deck for this, you can open it up, install an NVME drive yourself, i think up to 2TB, and have a 64G and 2TB internal and then another 1TB SD card.

The 256G and 512G versions can't do that.
    Using a thread on Reddit and this tool https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/ it looks like I'm only 60% of the way to getting my Steam Deck. So, maybe not this month, maybe not next month either. :(
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28685
    Far Cry 6 has a Stranger Things crossover. I had no idea. It is fabulous!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    RaymondLin said: I think even the Logitech MX mouses need their little USB dongle. 

You can pair MX mouses either with the dongle or direct to a device.

octatonic said:
    RaymondLin said: I think even the Logitech MX mouses need their little USB dongle. 

You can pair MX mouses either with the dongle or direct to a device.

I only found out last night…might actually get one for the steam deck.  I’m playing some games on the TV with it and the wired mouse reaches the sofa but with wires across the room which isn’t great.  The keyboard is already Bluetooth.
  • DannicDannic Frets: 49
    FarleyUK said:
    Almost completed Sniper Elite 5.

Stealth has pretty much gone out the window. Nothing quite like blowing Nazis away using an anti-tank rifle.....
    Just wondered if you have ever played Sniper Contracts 2. It’s the only thing I’ve played since getting the Ps5. Really enjoying it, but sniper games are my favourite. 
    I’ll get Sniper Elite 5 after I finish this, hopefully it’ll be half price by then. I’m not very good/quick at progressing.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30152
    I'm now on Supra land Six Inches Under on PC, and Power Washer Simulator on Xbox.

Tried Paw Patrol Adventure City but it was a but too kiddy even for me. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited July 2022
    Am bidding on a Steam Deck. I don't think my pre order is gonna come up till late September so if I can get one within my budget, not too far off retail I'd be happy with that. Let's see. 
  • Hoping my N64 expansion Pak arrives tomorrow so I can get onto playing Majora's Mask.

Have been playing Lemmings on the Amiga this weekend.