General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I just got an email from Parcel force - my Steam Deck is being delivered tomorrow.

I'm on holiday from tomorrow!  I've emailed our receptionist and have asked her to keep it somewhere safe.  It's not that I don't trust my colleagues, but some of them have proved that they probably shouldn't be trusted!

Mildly annoyed at the timing but I guess it can't be helped.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12323
    I really like this thing, I've played more on it this week than i have on the Switch for 3 years.

• N64 Expansion Pak turned up earlier so have started Majora's Mask at last, never played it before I had tired of the N64 when it was originally released and despite having it on the Zelda Collector Edition on GameCube I never played it.

Blimey that first opportunity to save took a while. Seems a decent game so far.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    I really like this thing, I've played more on it this week than i have on the Switch for 3 years.

Whatcha been playing? I got No Man's Sky for £20 which is cool. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28685
    N64 Expansion Pak turned up earlier so have started Majora's Mask at last, never played it before I had tired of the N64 when it was originally released and despite having it on the Zelda Collector Edition on GameCube I never played it.

Blimey that first opportunity to save took a while. Seems a decent game so far.
    Amazing game. I wish I could play it for a first time for a second time :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30150
    I have an enviable talent for almost completely forgetting games once I've finished them, so the second play through is much like the first but with the odd hit of deja vu. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I have an enviable talent for almost completely forgetting games once I've finished them, so the second play through is much like the first but with the odd hit of deja vu. 
    I do manage that if I wait long enough. I remembered a lot of the main beats of Portal 2 eight years later, but almost none of the puzzles. 

I think I have Majora on the 3DS sitting unplayed. 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    looking forward to playing xenoblade chronicles 3 (have yet to actually complete a xenoblades game i must admit. although i am quite a way into xeno chron def ed and xeno chron x).
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• SporkySporky Frets: 30150
    Lady BMcH has booked the living room for XC3 for a month. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3452
    edited July 2022
    Sporky said:

i'm extremely talanted at that too, I can 100% complete a game on Monday, fire it back up on Tuesday, and not realise until I've almost completed the game again, that I've played it before, never mind completed it.  It's a gift that saves us a fortune on games.
    edited July 2022
    I've got my Steam Deck set up for PS remote play now too. So I have Xbox live Gamepass Ultimate and PlayStation with Premium Plus on it. It's an amazing device, it really is. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25497
    Are there any new adventure games like Grim Fandango or similar?

I quite fancy something like that again.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Are there any new adventure games like Grim Fandango or similar?

Not sure there are new ones but broken sword ran for a while and I loved the first two. They're still available. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511

The new Monkey Island is out soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

The new Monkey Island is out soon. 
    That will do nicely! 

Did you guys see this mad thing.

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I'd not seen it for the series s but there have been similar screens for most generations of playstation.  Certainly PSX and PS2, I think I've seen one for PS4 as well.  Don't see the appeal myself.

In other xbox news - there's now a way to get retroarch running on the series x/s without needing to put the console into development mode.

I've just installed it and have got everything up to PSX and N64 running smoothly.  Apparently, it'll handle gamecube/wii and PS2 as well but it just crashes when I try and load a game for either of those.  Probably some setting I'm missing as I've seen footage of it working.

Still, having an emulation machine in the front room is great.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How do you find a lot of those games?

I can remember playing games when I was young and being blown away by them. Even games from 15 years ago on the PS2 and now when you play them they're unbelievablely clunky, with poor dynamics.

Do you find a lot are timeless or do you just ignore some of the issues as of their time?
    How do you find a lot of those games?

I can remember playing games when I was young and being blown away by them. Even games from 15 years ago on the PS2 and now when you play them they're unbelievablely clunky, with poor dynamics.

Do you find a lot are timeless or do you just ignore some of the issues as of their time?
    I made a note not to play all the old N64 games I loved as a kid. So many of them were utterly brilliant in that 1997-2001 era but almost none of them hold up today. Best left as great memories imo

Conversely I can still play a great SNES game because they had such great art styles
    I loved F-Zero on SNES.

Played that to death.