General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28685
    I loved F-Zero on SNES.

Played that to death. 
    I dearly wish they'd make another F-zero. Even just a tidied-up version of the GC one would do me
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Lots of good N64 games that still hold up today. Specifically the Mario ones.

I remember a game on N64 and it had amazing art work. It was a platformer, and it had a name in the title. Like Something Sam or something... 
  • Mgs2 has aged well. Ff7-9 have too, if you like jrpg. Ff-x is brilliant still, even today, diablo 2 came out in 2000 and is still the finest ARPG created imo.

I really enjoy Tenchu and the original Tomb Raider games. Clunky? Yeah, a bit. But they have imagination and fun, something that new Tomb Raider or Uncharted games sorely lack, instead focusing on a more on-rails, cinematic experience. I see the appeal, but without challenge I find games very boring. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Mgs2 has aged well. Ff7-9 have too, if you like jrpg. Ff-x is brilliant still, even today, diablo 2 came out in 2000 and is still the finest ARPG created imo.

I really enjoy Tenchu and the original Tomb Raider games. Clunky? Yeah, a bit. But they have imagination and fun, something that new Tomb Raider or Uncharted games sorely lack, instead focusing on a more on-rails, cinematic experience. I see the appeal, but without challenge I find games very boring. 
    Have you played Sifu? 
    Lots of good N64 games that still hold up today. Specifically the Mario ones.

I remember a game on N64 and it had amazing art work. It was a platformer, and it had a name in the title. Like Something Sam or something... 
    Super Mario 64 is an all time classic, but greats like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark often ran at 15fps because that was normal then, but they're unpleasant to play now. And they were the top tier of quality. The stuff that wasn't even as good as them at the time.. I just can't go back. 

I'm not sure which platform you mean? Rayman, Shadowman, Serious Sam (not a platformer and I think on GC, not N64)

Have a look at the full list on wiki! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games
    Sorry sorry its Gamecube! 
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3522
    edited July 2022
    How do you find a lot of those games?

I can remember playing games when I was young and being blown away by them. Even games from 15 years ago on the PS2 and now when you play them they're unbelievablely clunky, with poor dynamics.

Do you find a lot are timeless or do you just ignore some of the issues as of their time?
    PS2 is still an excellent way to play non joypad games (and a lot of joypad ones to be fair but I mainly use mine a lot for Guitar Hero/Rock and, driving games with Wheel and Time Crisis/Virtua Cop and Point Blank with GCon Gun. Awesome fun.

My man cave has a 

NES
    SNES (which I also use for Gameboy)
    N64
    Mega Drive (which I also use for Master System)
    PS2 Slim

Original Xbox in the bedroom

PS2 in the living room

Atgames Legends Pro in the conservatory 

Handhelds
    PSP
    DSi XL
    Powkiddy RGB10 max 2 (with every game from Gameboy/Colour/Advance, Sega Game Gear, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket, PC Engine GT, Pokémon Minis, Atari Lynx, LCD games)

And for modern stuff I have a PC with a MSi RTX 2080 graphics, which I hardly use.

I sold PS5 and Xbox Series S and I don't miss them... I love my old gaming
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3452
    Did you guys see this mad thing.

I had one of those attachable screens for the Xbox 360, they've been around for years, the graphics are always shit on them, and the glare make them virtually useless.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    Picked up my steam deck and have set it up.  I'm downloading Elden Ring, The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment (thought I might as well do it while on works wi-fi).  I need to get Skyrim and Fallout on it as well but I'm not sure how modding is going to work on it - might be easier to transfer my existing install from my PC with mods included.  

First impressions are positive.  It's a really well made thing.  The screen looks really nice and Valve have obviously put a lot more thought into ergonomics than Nintendo did with the switch.  Hopefully, I won't get pins and needles in my hands with the Steam Deck.

Could be a while until I get to use it properly though - I'm in work until 6pm and then I'm straight off for a hospital appointment,
    @TeleMaster Great game! Doesn't have a Sam in it though!!  :D 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12323
    I set up Xbox Game Pass on it, tested out Forza Horizon 5 and plays perfectly fine through cloud streaming.
  • RedRabbit said:
    Picked up my steam deck and have set it up.  I'm downloading Elden Ring, The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment (thought I might as well do it while on works wi-fi).  I need to get Skyrim and Fallout on it as well but I'm not sure how modding is going to work on it - might be easier to transfer my existing install from my PC with mods included.  

First impressions are positive.  It's a really well made thing.  The screen looks really nice and Valve have obviously put a lot more thought into ergonomics than Nintendo did with the switch.  Hopefully, I won't get pins and needles in my hands with the Steam Deck.

Could be a while until I get to use it properly though - I'm in work until 6pm and then I'm straight off for a hospital appointment,

Ha - I thought that was just me with the Switch! I mostly use it on the TV though nowadays
    RedRabbit said:

Ha - I thought that was just me with the Switch! I mostly use it on the TV though nowadays
    It's the main reason I don't use my Switch much these days.  After about 20-30 minutes I start losing feeling in my fingers and have to stretch out to get circulation going again.  I initially thought it was just due to the position I'm in when I use it in bed but it's the same if I'm sat down as well.
    I set up Xbox Game Pass on it, tested out Forza Horizon 5 and plays perfectly fine through cloud streaming.
    Sadly, cloud streaming doesn't work too well for me.  My broadband is easily fast enough but it's a satellite connection so the ping is too high causing stuttering.

I'm hoping to get PS5 streaming working though.
    I know it's an older game now, but I'm pleasantly surprised how well The Witcher 3 runs on the Steam Deck.  Maxed out the resolution and most settings are on high or ultra and it runs well enough to play.  Not sure on FPS - probably not a solid 60 but there's no noticeable drag or staggering so I'm assuming at least above 30.

Looked into Skyrim and Fallout.  Looks like the reason they are only marked as playable is because of the launch screen which you need to use the mouse for.  Easily sorted by holding down the steam button and using the right touchpad though.  Seems odd that they've down-marked them for that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 198
    My daughter has been playing Genshin Impact for the past 8 months or so, and whilst I'm not a huge gaming buff, it's quite enjoyable.......and free!
    Okay, loving the Steam Deck now.

Finished work early (thank you flexi-time) and have been setting up EmuDeck.  I'm going to look into getting Yuzu working but, for the time being, I'm happy with gamecube working well.  Tried out Wind Waker and got a solid 30fps - my last desktop with an rx480 struggled with this (my new desktop with a 3060ti doesn't sweat with this though).  GBA/nes/snes/megadrive/psx obviously all works flawlessly.  Still need to test ps2 and ps3.  If Switch works through Yuzu I'll be seriously impressed.

I also setup xbox cloud gaming.  My internet connection is the main issue here (high speed, low ping over satellite) but it clearly works well and is enough for me to keep going with Octopath Traveler.  Remote play would be preferable, but I can't find much on this for the xbox - going to set it up for the PS5 tomorrow.

For the PC side of things, Fallout 4 is working well - pretty consistent 60fps at medium settings.  The Witcher 3 was running at around 45-50fps at the settings mentioned earlier - a drop-down to medium has it at a constant 60fps.  It's not going to replace my main PC for new AAA releases but for catching up on my "to play" list it's fantastic.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18307
    tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:

It's the main reason I don't use my Switch much these days.  After about 20-30 minutes I start losing feeling in my fingers and have to stretch out to get circulation going again.  I initially thought it was just due to the position I'm in when I use it in bed but it's the same if I'm sat down as well.
    https://hori.co.uk/switch-split-pad-pro/

You need one of these. 

I get cramp with the regular docked joy cons
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RedRabbit said:
    Okay, loving the Steam Deck now.

Finished work early (thank you flexi-time) and have been setting up EmuDeck.  I'm going to look into getting Yuzu working but, for the time being, I'm happy with gamecube working well.  Tried out Wind Waker and got a solid 30fps - my last desktop with an rx480 struggled with this (my new desktop with a 3060ti doesn't sweat with this though).  GBA/nes/snes/megadrive/psx obviously all works flawlessly.  Still need to test ps2 and ps3.  If Switch works through Yuzu I'll be seriously impressed.

I also setup xbox cloud gaming.  My internet connection is the main issue here (high speed, low ping over satellite) but it clearly works well and is enough for me to keep going with Octopath Traveler.  Remote play would be preferable, but I can't find much on this for the xbox - going to set it up for the PS5 tomorrow.

For the PC side of things, Fallout 4 is working well - pretty consistent 60fps at medium settings.  The Witcher 3 was running at around 45-50fps at the settings mentioned earlier - a drop-down to medium has it at a constant 60fps.  It's not going to replace my main PC for new AAA releases but for catching up on my "to play" list it's fantastic.
    Remote play will blow your mind. It's much, much better than Xbox cloud gaming. They need to add that to their arsenal.