General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28685
    Simonh said:
    Any burning reason to get a PS5 yet?
    Nothing really groundbreaking. Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy, Astro, Returnal, and GT7 are all really pretty though
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited August 2022
    Sporky said:
    Lady BMcH, who is not an overly emotional person, described Spiritfarer as "the saddest thing ever". 
    She's obviously never played Ghost of Tsushima. That game broke me at one point. 

Surely FF7?
    I've never played it, which feels like the gaming equivalent of never having seen The Godfather (which I also haven't seen..)

It's on my to-do list. 

FFX made me cry.

Okay, fine, it makes me cry every time I finish it. 

The gameplay isn't exactly top drawer but the story is beautifully told and, even though you know exactly what will happen at the end, when it does, it's presented in such a way as to absolutely crush me.

Edit: nier automata is also quite emotionally charged, but very different and hard to discuss without spoiling things! 
  • Simonh said:
    Nothing really groundbreaking. Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy, Astro, Returnal, and GT7 are all really pretty though
    Miles Morales was pretty darn good too, and Dirt 5 albeit on other platforms the adaptive triggers gives it a little extra on PS5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28685
    Ooh yes I forgot Miles - really excellent game
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited August 2022
    Sad news. I knocked my Steam Deck off the table yesterday and one of the shoulder buttons have stopped working.

The parts are all quite cheap but unobtainable at the moment. I sent a ticket last night and have already recieved a reply so I'm hoping that I can get it sent off and back and it won't be too expensive or too long.

Be careful with yours. It's very fragile. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    I feel your pain.  I had a close call with mine as it just slipped out of my fingers as I was putting on my bedside cabinet.  I've got a granite coaster on there and it smashed straight into it.  I was relieved to only find a few scuffs with no major damage.

I'd be gutted if anything happened to mine.

Might be worth having a look at some repair videos on Youtube - I seen some where they've successfully used xbox controller parts but it'll likely depend on what's actually broken.
    RedRabbit said:
    I feel your pain.  I had a close call with mine as it just slipped out of my fingers as I was putting on my bedside cabinet.  I've got a granite coaster on there and it smashed straight into it.  I was relieved to only find a few scuffs with no major damage.

I'd be gutted if anything happened to mine.

Might be worth having a look at some repair videos on Youtube - I seen some where they've successfully used xbox controller parts but it'll likely depend on what's actually broken.
    Well they've already accepted a return and I think it's under warranty. I told them everything and they've just sent me all the details to return it. No mention of payment or anything. 
    Yea they've accepted it as a warranty replacement. It was literally accidental damage and I told them and they're just gonna replace it. That is amazing. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2254
    Simonh said:
    I’d get an Xbox first. 

I’ve been a PS user since PS1 but this gen, I ended up buying an XBox series X when it came out, purely due to availability. 

I’ve since bought a PS5 and had it for 3 months. 

Overall if I could only have one, it would be the XBox every day. 

Sony feels like a cash grab, whereas XBox feels like they are changing the game with GamePass. 

One example of the differences are the flagship driving games. 

GT7 doesn’t look like a next gen game at all in my opinion. It looks like a slightly better version of GT Sport and the fact it was designed to work on PS4, for money reasons, proves this. It is extremely grindy on purpose, to drive micro transaction after you’ve already shelled out £70 for the game in the first place. As a big GT fan, I am disappointed with it. The races are boring. Every one is a rolling start chase which quickly becomes dull. 

Forza Horizon 5 however was included day one on GamePass as will Forza Sport when it is realised. It is hands down the best looking driving game I’ve played. It is a next gen only game, which means it was designed for this generation. The amount of content being added to it continually, is insane considering it’s effectively free. I’m not a fan of these open world driving games normally, but FH is really engaging  and fun and I look forward to the more sim orientated game when Sport is released. 

Now I have both I’ll keep them, but wouldn’t be too fussed if the PS5 broke. 

If you’re in to games like Spider-Man and Racket, get the PS. If you prefer Gears of War, Halo and like the idea of a full-fat subscription service offering day one releases, get the Xbox. 

edited August 2022
    I'm the opposite. I have both and I prefer the PS5. I think the games are better, with more original titles and a much superior controller. Remote Play is excellent too. GT is a better driving game than Forza Horizon which is a pure arcade driving game. It looks AMAZING. I don't agree that it looks like a PS4 game.

I don't really see any reason to own an Xbox at this point. If you want an Xbox and have good Internet just get Ultimate Game Pass and play on a laptop or tablet via cloud gaming connected to your tv or something.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1091
    edited August 2022
    I have both and think they're both a bit poo ha. 
    I do use the Series X daily though and haven't turned on the PS5 since finishing Elden Ring. 

Edit: Sorry, I lied. I downloaded Death Stranding, played for two hours deleted and now haven't been on it again. 
    I have both and think they're both a bit poo ha. 
    I do use the Series X daily though and haven't turned on the PS5 since finishing Elden Ring. 

Edit: Sorry, I lied. I downloaded Death Stranding, played for two hours deleted and now haven't been on it again. 
    That game is so incredibly dull. 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1091
    @TeleMaster Yea, I was never really interested in it but my mate had somehow played 120 hours of it so thought I'd give it a try to see what the fuss was about. To be fair to him he did say it was dull but he just couldn't stop playing. 
    I’ll summarise by saying both are worth having, however if you already have a PS4 I’d get a Series S first. You really aren’t getting much more with the 5 right now and Sony will keep making games for both platforms for some time, as the are all about game sales. 

The series s for £240 and you can get 3 years of GamePass for £45 using the free Gold upgrade offer. It’s unbelievable value and you will never need to buy an exclusive.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    I don't get much time to game these days, not that I have seen any new games I really want to play either (super bored of COD and all the derivatives) so needs to be something that really grabs my attention. I've always had Playstations and only ever had an Xbox 360 to play gears back in the day.

All the micro transaction bullshit really boils my piss as does having to spend hours and hours on a game to grind through and get to the good stuff, or to be decent online (before getting massively outclassed by a 10 year old anyway)

Perhaps I am just done with gaming...
    edited August 2022
    Simonh said:
    I don't get much time to game these days, not that I have seen any new games I really want to play either (super bored of COD and all the derivatives) so needs to be something that really grabs my attention. I've always had Playstations and only ever had an Xbox 360 to play gears back in the day.

All the micro transaction bullshit really boils my piss as does having to spend hours and hours on a game to grind through and get to the good stuff, or to be decent online (before getting massively outclassed by a 10 year old anyway)

Perhaps I am just done with gaming...
    Sony have alienated me with Gt7. They clearly had a meeting and agreed to make it a massive grind, for the sole purpose of increasing micro-transactions. 

This creation of value belief for digital content, is the Snake Oil of this century. People spending real money for a skin or to progress in a game is crazy. The amount of money that is going to be wasted on this shit going forward will be insane. Definitely start educating your kids on the wealth and assets now as these games are normalising it all for them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Microtransactions are absolutely horrible.

They're here to stay, sadly... I really hope that games like breath of the wild and elden ring prove to devs that amazing games pay the bills, but it's so cheap and easy to build something like diablo immortal, and then spend the dev budget on lawyers to ensure you're legally extracting as much cash as possible... 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited August 2022
    Simonh said:
    I hardly use mine. I only play Gran Turismo 7 on it. I've always been a big fan of GT, despite the dip in quality in GT5 and GT6. But GT7 isn't that great at all - still loads of the same odd design choices (that silly rolling starts for example). Bit of a waste of money for me. 

My Series X is my main console for multiplatform games; and I mostly play stuff like Microsoft Flight Simulator and Forza Horizon. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited August 2022
    GT is a better driving game than Forza Horizon which is a pure arcade driving game.

I disagree. Horizon isn't pure arcade - it's nothing like Ridge Racer and the like. The handling model is nuanced and complex. It's essentially a sim setup with a layer of fun/help between the physics and the player. You can't compare Horizon to GT, they are different types of games.

Meanwhile if folks want a "proper" driving game there is the Forza Motorsport series. Which in its 7th outing is still better than GT7 in many ways. Amazingly for a game a few years old it still has many many more cars from the 2010s than GT7. And the career has proper racing in it, rather than follow the leader nonsense.

And of course we've got the new Forza Motorsport coming in the spring, which is a totally next-gen only release, rather than a tarted up last-gen game.

GT is a better driving game than Forza Horizon which is a pure arcade driving game.

I disagree. Horizon isn't pure arcade - it's nothing like Ridge Racer and the like. The handling model is nuanced and complex. It's essentially a sim setup with a layer of fun/help between the physics and the player. You can't compare Horizon to GT, they are different types of games.

Meanwhile if folks want a "proper" driving game there is the Forza Motorsport series. Which in its 7th outing is still better than GT7 in many ways. Amazingly for a game a few years old it still has many many more cars from the 2010s than GT7. And the career has proper racing in it, rather than follow the leader nonsense.

And of course we've got the new Forza Motorsport coming in the spring, which is a totally next-gen only release, rather than a tarted up last-gen game.
    Okay it's not pure arcade fair enough but it's very arcadey. Sure it's not as much as Ridge Racer is, but all the flying around, stunts and prize stuff, it's not really much of a sim at all. 

I have a racing sim set up. If you play GT,  Assetto Corsa, or Forza Motorsport and then play Horizon, they're like a world apart from it.