General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30149
    There are some ridiculous cables on Amazon with positive reviews - including ones with HDMI on one end and three RCAs on the other... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    That sounds ace! 
    It is one of about three games that have made me laugh out loud completely on my own, along with portal and dark souls. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7494
    Sporky said:
    There are some ridiculous cables on Amazon with positive reviews - including ones with HDMI on one end and three RCAs on the other... 
    If I setup an Amazon store will you buy my scart to ham sandwich converter?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30149
    That actually sounds useful.

Is it good ham and decent bread? What condiments are included? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    I'm sure Doom 64 was mentioned here a while ago - it's this weeks free game on Epic if anyone fancies some free nostalga.
  • LuttiS said:
    I'm sure Doom 64 was mentioned here a while ago - it's this weeks free game on Epic if anyone fancies some free nostalga.
    Yes, by me. Underrated doom game, I love it! 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7494
    Sporky said:
    That actually sounds useful.

Is it good ham and decent bread? What condiments are included? 
    Depends if you buy it from wish or not 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 43
    Anyone here got a Steam Deck?

I am due for delivery tomorrow and as someone who hasn’t gamed in a long time, I’m interested to see what it’s like.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Yea a few of us have.

I dropped mine last week so am going through a warranty repair. 

I love(d) mine. Using it for cloud gaming, remote play is amazing. Lots of Steam games work fabulously so try games that aren't even verified. GTA V is excellent on it.

Enjoy! 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    I have,  initially I didn't like it,  nearly sold it to Cex but then came to my senses and dug a bit deeper,  now I'm so happy I have kept it,  such a great machine,  especially with the desktop,  it's now my go to way to game. 
  • Thinking I may get a ps5 at some point, now they're starting to become available. My ps4 is on its last legs, overheats quite a lot (I took it apart and gave it a good clean, but I think it's the hard drive going awry...), and the controller is a bit borked. A controller by itself is about £50 which is more than 10 percent of a ps5, so I'm thinking of just waiting till it breaks completely...

I don't think getting a ps4 makes a lot of sense, given they're a bit long in the tooth. I do want a switch, but I also do like a more powerful console for shooters and other "bigger" games. Is it worth £450?
    The controller is great. You're gonna have to upgrade at some point so might as well?  
  • I would say I’ve had that value out of it already since having one about 6 months. Graphics and loading times are obviously better. Being quiet, switching games really quickly and haptic controllers are the 3 biggest added benefits I hadn’t considered when I bought it.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 525
    slawler said:
    Anyone here got a Steam Deck?

I am due for delivery tomorrow and as someone who hasn’t gamed in a long time, I’m interested to see what it’s like.

Had mine for a few weeks now and I love it.  Probably best when you’ve already got a steam library but even if you don’t there are plenty of cheap classics on the steam store.  Worth checking out Humble Bundle regularly if you want build a library on the cheap.

I’d be wary of paying too much attention to the “steam deck approved” rating (or whatever it’s called).  Loads of the “playable” games work perfectly but occasionally need you to use either the mouse or keyboard functions - usually just for launch screens or name entry.  Even some of the untested or unapproved games work but may need some tweaking through custom versions of proton (the Linux compatibility layer that makes most of the games work) but there are loads of guides online to take you through this.  If in doubt check ProtonDB to see how others have got on with any game.  

Also worth mentioning is the ability to install emulators, ps4/5 remote play, Xbox cloud gaming etc, etc, etc.  Being based on Linux and having access to desktop mode makes it hugely tweakable.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    Just got my Steam Deck email!

Just paid off the balance - any idea how long they take to arrive? I couldn't see any shipping details in my account or in the confirmation email. I'm off to the US for 2 weeks on the 11th, so would be ace if it arrives by then.
    Yea should be by then mate. It's around a week or so but I've read longer. Mine is still waiting to be sent back. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    Yea should be by then mate. It's around a week or so but I've read longer. Mine is still waiting to be sent back. 
    Nice - cheers!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18307
    tFB Trader
    Anyone got Arcade paradise.

It's a bit grindy and buggy but good retro fun.
  • I would say I’ve had that value out of it already since having one about 6 months. Graphics and loading times are obviously better. Being quiet, switching games really quickly and haptic controllers are the 3 biggest added benefits I hadn’t considered when I bought it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Ps4 crapped out today while playing elden ring! 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 438
    I’ve been playing Last of Us pt1 on ps5 today. I played it when it first came out on ps3 but have forgotten most of it so the excessive price tag didn’t put me off having another go. Loving it so far.