General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Rabs said:
    I have both. Personally, I'd get a PS5 because I think that they have better original titles (God of War, Last of Us, Stray, Deathloop, Final Fantasy, Horizon, Spiderman). The controller is also superior but I imagine Xbox will come out with their own one at some point. And while the Xbox is great and Gamepass is good, I've either played the games before or I'm not that into them. Forza Horizon, Halo Infinite are good and for many are worth the price of Gamepass alone, I feel like I've been playing these games for years so they bored me quickly whole PlayStation are consistently coming out with new and interesting titles. But that's just me.

But if you're new to it there is a lot of stuff all round, and Xbox have scooped up a load of studios so the future is bright for them. Aside from the two I mentioned included with Gamepass there's Doom Eternal which is amazing, Hades, The Outer Worlds, Sea of Thieves, Crusader Kings 3 and lots more. The new Bethesda game, Starfield is going to be included with the subscripiton with no extra cost. 

If you have a good Internet connection you can play Xbox games via the cloud and you don't need a console. I was playing Gamepass via my Steam Deck and it was amazing. I was even considering getting rid of the actual Xbox.

So in summary, in my opinion: PS5 has better controller, originals. Many included in PS Plus. 
    Xbox has lots of good games, especially if you haven't been playing for ages, but you don't need a console if you have a good Internet connection. I believe you get can get a trial of it for quite cheap so you can test out the whole thing and the games. 

Really you can't go wrong with either. 
    Ok cheers. Many thanks..   So is Spiderman only on PS5?  That is one of the games that I am interested in.. Played the original PSX version and loved the swinging around...  I have seen youtube vids of the newer ones and the graphics of the city are amazing... 

So whats considered a good connection?  I have I think its about 80mb download.
    Yea only on PS. 80mb is decent but you'll have to check. You get a month Ultimate Gamepass for a quid I believe so you won't be losing anything if you give it a go. You just need an Xbox controller I believe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    erm, playstation's spider-man just came out on PC. unlikely that it will ever hit xbox, though.
    edited September 2022
    bbill335 said:
    erm, playstation's spider-man just came out on PC.
    Yea, but he's asking about consoles.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    erm, playstation's spider-man just came out on PC.
    Yea, but he's asking about consoles.
    Yes.. But then now its been mentioned I hadnt really thought about the PC route.. In saying that, I have an i7 but I dont think the graphics card is all that.. I will have to update myself on what specs they need these days.
  • Rabs said:
    It's not all about download speed.  Latency/ping is just as, if not more, important.  Not sure what's considered "good enough" but I have decent(ish) download speed but a ping time of around 30 - 45ms meaning gamepass streaming looks nice but isn't responsive enough for most games.
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:
    Rabs said:
    It's not all about download speed.  Latency/ping is just as, if not more, important.  Not sure what's considered "good enough" but I have decent(ish) download speed but a ping time of around 30 - 45ms meaning gamepass streaming looks nice but isn't responsive enough for most games.
    OK cheers... I just did a speed test.. Apparently my latency is 7ms.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    edited September 2022
    have just started playing microsoft flight sim on my xbox.

wow is all i can say. even with crashes (not me crashing the plane/game crashing to home page) and some slowdown occasionally, the game is fantastic.

i have been flying the darkstar mostly (but cannot land it yet) and the fact i can fly at mach 9-10 around a 1:1 scale map of earth at the edge of space is bloody awesome. also the game looks incredible too weather,day/night etc.

i just need to learn how to land a plane now :-)
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4375
    edited September 2022
    I finally ordered a PS5, it should be arriving tomorrow. I've only gone for it now to beat the upcoming price-rise (I figured that was as good an excuse as any), as there's still not really anything out that I was desperate to play that I couldn't already enjoy on the old one. Bring on Jedi: Survivor next year!

*edit* where's the best/easiest place to flog a PS4 Pro these days?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    So the Steam Deck is still showing as ‘shipping soon’…. But I’ve got the USB hub, travel case, 1GB microSD card and screen protector here all ready to go!

I’ve really been getting back into Amiga, C64 and Spectrum emulators, so can’t wait to get those working on it. 
    So from what I'm gathering from the reddit there is a delay on shipping. People are stuck on 'shipping soon'.

I sent mine back and it was recieved ten working days ago yet they've only just registered it as being delivered to them now. The RMA/returns process is meant to take 10 working days yet they've taken the whole period just to say they got it have taken 10 days. I've sent them a message to see what's going on but I'd be surprised if i get it back within the month. 

They've seemingly got big delays in their distribution. 
    Ah, bugger. Oh well, it'll get here when it gets here.
    Just got my dispatch email..... and it's going via ParcelForce.

Who are on strike this week.

Buggeration!
  • marauder said:
    New baby was delivered this morning..

PC Engine Duo, good condition for age, fully recapped and laser alignment. Plays both Hu Cards and CDs.

That makes 8 consoles in that little day room now, and 18 in the house, plus arcade machine plus 2 gaming PCs :bleep_bloop: :scream: 

I think I am done now, maybe a Japanese Sega Saturn at some point.

Shmup heaven rtght there.  I've got a Duo-R.

Yowsers I am loving the shooters, playing them loads, shaky Parkinsons right hand not a problem with fire button set to auto...brilliant
  • oh dammit why did I install hearthstone again? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    So the Steam Deck is still showing as ‘shipping soon’…. But I’ve got the USB hub, travel case, 1GB microSD card and screen protector here all ready to go!

I’ve really been getting back into Amiga, C64 and Spectrum emulators, so can’t wait to get those working on it. 
    So from what I'm gathering from the reddit there is a delay on shipping. People are stuck on 'shipping soon'.

I sent mine back and it was recieved ten working days ago yet they've only just registered it as being delivered to them now. The RMA/returns process is meant to take 10 working days yet they've taken the whole period just to say they got it have taken 10 days. I've sent them a message to see what's going on but I'd be surprised if i get it back within the month. 

They've seemingly got big delays in their distribution. 
    Ah, bugger. Oh well, it'll get here when it gets here.
    Just got my dispatch email..... and it's going via ParcelForce.

Who are on strike this week.

Buggeration!
    It can still take a week or more to actually dispatch and get to you. I got my RMA one today and it's with GLS so I think that means it's coming from Holland.

I've been missing it a lot. Can't wait to get it back. Hope you get yours soon! 
    Ahh I've just seen it's going to be delivered via Parcel Force in the UK too.

Oh well. I still support the strikes. :) 
  • Where do I order a ps5? Going to bite the bullet... 
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader
    Where do I order a ps5? Going to bite the bullet... 
    Currys and Argos seem to have stock.. I still havent decided if I want one or not

Edit..  They seem to have sold a load since I last looked but still one pack here
    https://www.currys.co.uk/products/sony-playstation-5-black-controller-lego-star-wars-and-fifa-23-bundle-10242931.html

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1400001?clickSR=slp:term:ps5:2:370:1
  • Hard disagree on ps5 controller. Much prefer the Xbox controller. 

I’d also argue that Xbox has the better exclusives. And doing that show really it’s down to what kind of game you like. If interactive movie type adventures are your thing ps5 is the way to go - god of war, last of us etc. Me I prefer racing, flying etc. on Xbox we’ve got flight simulator and the two Forza franchises. Neither console has a better set of games - it’s down to the games you like.

I own a PS5 and an Xbox Series X. One gets used every day. One is hardly used and I regret buying. I bought the PS5 in anticipation of GT7. But the game is a massive disappointment. And I find the PS5 controllers trigger angles annoying for racing games. 

I am not the average gamer. So my likes aren’t the majority. But I’ve been playing games for over 40 years and i worked in the game industry for 15 years. I adore playing stuff like Microsoft Flight Sim and Forza Motorsport. So the Xbox is the ideal platform for me. I started console gaming with the first PlayStation (preferred computers before that) and for part of my career I worked on PlayStation websites. But the platform is less my kind of thing these days. And I probably won’t get a ps6 - the first PlayStation I won’t own. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Where do I order a ps5? Going to bite the bullet... 
    I went on the Amazon waitlist about a week ago, then got emailed yesterday to be ‘invited to buy’ one. They were still honouring the £450 price for the disc version too, whereas most other places already seem to have jumped to £480+
  • i won't be buying a ps5 or anything else by sony ever again because of their greedy stunt of the ps5 price rise purly down to greed.

sony can go do one 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7686
    Aren't consoles meant to go down in price after they've been out a while, not up?
  • DefaultM said:
    Aren't consoles meant to go down in price after they've been out a while, not up?
    When global costs of EVERYTHING are going up I can't blame them for increasing in territories where currencies are low against USD right now. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom